• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tall guy Test Fit for VA/MD/DC area?

Hi guys,

Been contemplating an NSX for a long time but have troubles pulling the trigger because of my height. I've read every single tall thread on the Prime and the internet (yes, I read the entire internet, I'm dedicated) and there's only one way to know - sit in one. I'm 6'5" but it's mostly leg.

Anyone in Northern VA willing to let a tall dude sit in their car and take pictures?

I can then know once and for all to let a nineteen year love affair fade or stop messing around and buy one before something crazy like marriage happens. :smile: I've tried to catch Pohanka Acura or Carmax for a long time and always miss the chance by a thread. If you can help out much thanks, if not then thanks for reading my random once-a-year post :)

Wesley

Hi Wesley,

I am in Germantown if you are willing to travel a bit. I have an aftermarket steering wheel with a 30mm spacer which allows me to sit more reclined.

PM me if you're interested.

Kenny

Hi guys,

Been contemplating an NSX for a long time but have troubles pulling the trigger because of my height. I've read every single tall thread on the Prime and the internet (yes, I read the entire internet, I'm dedicated) and there's only one way to know - sit in one. I'm 6'5" but it's mostly leg.

Anyone in Northern VA willing to let a tall dude sit in their car and take pictures?

I can then know once and for all to let a nineteen year love affair fade or stop messing around and buy one before something crazy like marriage happens. :smile: I've tried to catch Pohanka Acura or Carmax for a long time and always miss the chance by a thread. If you can help out much thanks, if not then thanks for reading my random once-a-year post :)

Wesley

pohanka has a red NSX at the dealer, but if all else fails, just PM me and I know a bunch of NSX in the area that all you would have to do is pick a color to ride in.

Bryan

My NSX is in Rosslyn, I'm in San Diego for a few weeks but my room mate has the keys and he can help you out.

Jack

I am 6'1 and I have maybe an 2-3 inches for head room depending on how I sit. When I track or Autocross I can't fit with helmet and the Targa on. I need to get some bucket seats soon as I can never race in the rain :(

I drive mine to Arlington daily so if you are in the area pm me.

Not sure where you live "Northern VA" is very vague, but I'm in the Centreville/Chantilly/Fair Lakes area.

Not sure where you live "Northern VA" is very vague, but I'm in the Centreville/Chantilly/Fair Lakes area.

I'm so used to other forums where hiding as much as possible is a good start :) Changed the locale to a bit more local. Thanks again guys - I'm curious to the head clearance for the T vs coupes as well if any of you taller folk have experienced both.

I'm so used to other forums where hiding as much as possible is a good start :) Changed the locale to a bit more local. Thanks again guys - I'm curious to the head clearance for the T vs coupes as well if any of you taller folk have experienced both.

Ah, Ashburn isn't far from me at all - I'm always up in that direction eating at the Cheeburger Cheeburger next to Ferrari of Washington and Carmax!

If you want, we can get together on Saturday morning around 10am or so... I have somewhere to be in MD and we could take care of your "test fit" in a targa. Send me a PM if you're interested with your phone number and I'll give you a call. Will be out golfing in Leesburg all day tomorrow so I won't be able to call you until after that.

Last edited:
Like Bryan said....you can pick a color. PM me anytime you want to check it out. Mine is coupe. I am about ~15mins depending on where in Ashburn towards Rt50. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ah, Ashburn isn't far from me at all - I'm always up in that direction eating at the Cheeburger Cheeburger next to Ferrari of Washington and Carmax!

If you want, we can get together on Saturday morning around 10am or so... I have somewhere to be in MD and we could take care of your "test fit" in a targa. Send me a PM if you're interested with your phone number and I'll give you a call. Will be out golfing in Leesburg all day tomorrow so I won't be able to call you until after that.
Cheeburger, Cheeburger- yum... I do prefer Fuddruckers down Waxpool a few miles...

Tony, Tyransx, is 6'5" and he just barely fits in a coupe. IM him, I'm sure he would help you. I would say that you can't drive a targa though. It loses about an inch of head room. The coupe does offer a lot of leg room. With the seat almost fully back, and a little leaned, you will fit. There is no chance whatsoever that you can wear a helmet though.

Shades, vertically challenged.

:cool:

Cheeburger, Cheeburger- yum... I do prefer Fuddruckers down Waxpool a few miles...

Even 'healthier' on Waxpool is Five Guys between Chee and Fudds :)

How is it this area is swarming with you guys but I see maybe one NSX a year driving around? In 2009 I spotted as many Veyrons as I did NSXs. True story.

Even 'healthier' on Waxpool is Five Guys between Chee and Fudds :)

How is it this area is swarming with you guys but I see maybe one NSX a year driving around? In 2009 I spotted as many Veyrons as I did NSXs. True story.

If the weather is perfect and sunny - there is a chance you will see me out in the car. Otherwise, will never happen.

You're driving around the wrong areas- I've been driving mine almost once a week to work and back. I've been seeing a few others on the road too.

Glad to see unreasonable mentioned the Five Guys... being Ubercheap, I should mention there's also 1/2 price Burger Monday at Blue Ridge Grill Brambleton and/or Glory Days, a $5 Monday deal at Johnny Rockets, and $2 off at Dogfish Head Fairfax. If you want a burger, Monday is the day to do it :)

I also had no idea there were that many folks in the area either already with NSX's or prospecting like I am...

Last edited:
Wow Ubercheap you know your local burgery.
Patdeisa It's disturbing how many NSXs I have now seen/touched since the Veyron comment.

Speaking of which here's some pictures I took for you other tall folk thinking about it. Only had a cell phone cam, so pics aren't the best, but should help others in the 6'5" long leg category.

Plenty of room on the left side, very tight fit on the right. I can touch the gas and brake and move between them but the wheel is against the inside of my right leg:
legsfit.jpg

It's worth noting that we didn't know how to adjust the wheel for tilt and it may not have been all the way up. Can anyone tell from the pic if that's the case? That adjustment and a smaller diameter wheel would remedy, but for daily driving I would say a smaller wheel is required.

Sorry for the blurry but it gets the point across. Yes the lip of my right shoe touches the brake pedal when my foot is on the gas as far right as it can go. You can't wear business shoes and drive these and that probably applies to everyone, not just taller folk (my shoe is a 13)
footfit.jpg

And head :) It's a bit dark (and apparently im staring into your soul). This was an 03 Targa and I clear the roof, but if I lean back even slightly the support bar on the roof touches the top back of my head. I think with a Dali seat cushion or modifying the stock cushion it would work. I only needed a half inch or so to clear.
headfit.jpg

So here's where things get awesome. I tried a 91 Coupe and head clears just fine but it's close enough I could never get a helmet on in there. I'm not sure any taller folk could do a helmet without some discomfort or contortions, even after the seat mod. Smaller steering wheel, coupe, dali seat, DONE! Everything else works including seat distance and width and all of that. Tall people you don't have to mark an NSX off the list.

Thanks go out to Patdeisa and goa360 (add HIJACKER to the list if things work out tomorrow!) for taking time out of their busy days to help out.

by the look of that picture it looks like the wheel is tilted all the way up already. There is a small switch at the lower left part of the steering column that adjusts the tilt.

I have a sparco "faster" steering wheel, which is smaller than OEM plus it has flat bottom for easier to enter/exit. It's also removable for even better access.

AcuraNSXDetail293.jpg

by the look of that picture it looks like the wheel is tilted all the way up already. There is a small switch at the lower left part of the steering column that adjusts the tilt.

I have a sparco "faster" steering wheel, which is smaller than OEM plus it has flat bottom for easier to enter/exit. It's also removable for even better access.

AcuraNSXDetail293.jpg

Yes, but you will also fail VA State inspection with a steering wheel that removes the airbag.

Sorry for the late reply, but finally met up with HIJACKER and he was awesome enough to let me go for round three on the fits, but this time I actually have the steering wheel all the way up:
wheel_up_legs.jpg

This is only a few inches below my line of sight, so yes the bottom of the gauges are blocked by the wheel at full tilt, but now my legs aren't making contact with the wheel. Tall folk will truly grasp and appreciate this grand accomplishment.
right_knee.jpg

This means there's more leg room for me than in a 1998 Prelude. And a better headroom shot en Targa:
headroom.jpg

Close enough to be a nuisance, but as I said before one of the replacement cushions or thinner seats would fix this. I'm sitting up straight here though it may not look like it. More win for the tall people!

Wes make sure to update us on how the AP-X sounds since I'm pretty sure you mentioned you were going to ride in one with it today
I wish I had video but it sounds effing amazing. Exhaust note is always subjective and difficult to put into words. There's a drone at odd rpms where you don't spend much time, but like a 2 out of 5 drone. Inside it sounds amazing windows up and down, isn't overkill, cruising is quiet and when you're WOT it provides. Outside is even better. When you hear it you think hot sex, not rice factory. For what it's worth it makes me want this car. To be fair I have only heard the AP-X and stock exhausts up close.

Last edited:
Back