• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tall Oil Filters Available

I've got 9 right now but I'll take 10 more. I have to say, I'm suprised that Honda would discontinue the production considering the car was only discontinued 2 years ago. I mean, these cars are still under warrantee!

The new filter (shorter one) is the OEM replacement and Honda is saying its OK to use either - but obviously the taller one has more filter media, so it does a better job at taking out particulate matter, especially when there is either more of it, or the filter is closer to the end of its life.

I'm pretty certain that the NSX is not using Prelude filters as they are not only shorter, they are much small in diameter. I've got a bunch of Prelude filters I use for my Accord. They must be using a filter from another car that is shorter but has the same diameter.

No, Dave miss-typed its the same filer as the Legend, not the Prelude, and there are lots of legends still out there, but they're gonna end up using the small filter too!

So does that mean the shorter filter is just shorter in life or also deficient in filtering abilities? It's hard to know how much life is left in the filter without cutting it open and having it analysed... maybe we are changing the filters too often... just be blabbing on because I haven't been on the forums lately... :smile:

Yeah, we've missed you - how the baby-watch, you guys must be getting close!

Can you save your next filter? Lets do some surgery and take some picts!:wink:

In 06 Yamaha went to a shorter filter as well..........my guess is that as technology changes with the oils/additives, so will filters and parts. As well, used to have to change oil on the Harley's every 5000 km's - new bikes it's every 8,000. didn't I read that on some inexpensive cars they say something silly like 50K (not kilometers for our American friends :rolleyes: ) the cars needs an oil change. Personally, I like to have my oil changed a lot more frequent..............................I'm waiting....:biggrin:

The new filter (shorter one) is the OEM replacement and Honda is saying its OK to use either - but obviously the taller one has more filter media, so it does a better job at taking out particulate matter, especially when there is either more of it, or the filter is closer to the end of its life.

Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, we've missed you - how the baby-watch, you guys must be getting close!

Baby has arrived! She's 10 days old! I've taken 2 weeks off work to help out and spend time with her.

Can you save your next filter? Lets do some surgery and take some picts!:wink:

Definitely. I'll save the next filter and let's chop it up. With the next oil change I'll have a decent idea of how long Synthetic oils should last with moderate driving of the NSX... next we can evaluate how long the old and possibly the new filters will last. The only thing is that it takes a while since I've only change oils once a season and after 4000+ kms, the oil still had lots of life left...

Shauna may be right, the filters may have some new materials or technology that allow it to be smaller. Quite frankly, smaller would be easier to replace...

This has now sparked me to revisit this... http://www.filtermag.com/tech.php I haven't looked into this after I realized that oil analysis will be less useful if metals are held in the filter. The oil analysis will likely come up cleaner than ever while the wear metals are all trapped in the filter... BUT, the filter will last much longer and possibly longer than the oil... food for thought.

I miss you guys too... but it's likely that I'll be putting the NSX in for storage early this year... Someone please confirm that it's OK to put a baby seat in the passenger side of the NSX as long as the car did not come with a passenger air bag!

is it possible for us americans to get in on this deal?

Baby has arrived! She's 10 days old! I've taken 2 weeks off work to help out and spend time with her.

Someone please confirm that it's OK to put a baby seat in the passenger side of the NSX as long as the car did not come with a passenger air bag!

Congrats! Start a new thread we need pictures!!! What's her name? (I'm guessing you lost the fight and its not Honda?)

In your case its rear facing, technically, no airbag no problem, there have been some studies that suggest the front seat is more risky than the back for carrying a child - but its my guess that it includes data from Americans doing Britney imitations and SAYING their kid was strapped in. I don't think its an issue - remember, the NSX Coupe was allowed to run in some racing series as a factory roll cage, it must be pretty strong (look at picts of crashed cars too, passenger compartment looks pretty good, and the dash-to-seat space hasn't changed in ANY pict I've ever seen.

I take my kids in front facing seats periodically, I move the seat as far back as it will go and fill the void under the booster seat with 2 towels so the seat sits nice and flat.

IMPORTANT NOTE: MY CAR IS AN 2003 AND IT HAS 2ND GENERATION AIRBAGS!!! ONLY 02+ CARS HAVE THEM!

The difference is that the 2nd generation have a sensor that will not activate the bag if it senses less than 65 lbs (Less than my kids) weight in the seat, also the bags deploy slower so the kick is "softer" From specs and measuring my kids will not be touched by the bag even if it does deploy, but I'm counting on Honda's system to work well and not deploy anyways.

Honestly, I'd like a manual kill switch like in the American cars.

I have cut open my last Acura long oil filter at home and will take pictures this weekend and post them under a new Thread and link it to here.
If someone can go out and buy the other filter or I can if I have a part number, we can compare.
As suggested, its my belief that our filters will outlast our oil and that the shorter filter will be fine for the periods that we change our oil.
But, I do have a stash in my garage of the long ones.
Thanks
Trev

Really, we have weight sensors in the seats?

My kids have never been in my car.

YES! 2nd Gen is 65lbs (its part of the spec for all 2ndG bags, but the proof is it says so in your manual)

My kids LOVE it, especially with the roof off - its not a regular thing, but a treat.

I like treats :biggrin:

I would like to get in if you have extras for those of us on the wrong side of the border
;)

I have cut open my last Acura long oil filter at home and will take pictures this weekend and post them under a new Thread and link it to here.
If someone can go out and buy the other filter or I can if I have a part number, we can compare.
As suggested, its my belief that our filters will outlast our oil and that the shorter filter will be fine for the periods that we change our oil.
But, I do have a stash in my garage of the long ones.
Thanks
Trev

Hey Trev,

Also note the type of oil and mileage if possible. I'll do the same with my next filter which will be in a week or so. Mine is Mobil 1 with close to 4,000kms on it so far.

Of course the question is how to we really tell how much life if left "scientifically". With oil, you do laboratory oil analysis and compare the new and used oil results and look for all the remaining wear additives, look for levels of contaminants and the wear indicators...

Hope we can eyeball it well enough...

OK - it appears that they are stocking the short filters under the tall filter part number. The dealer knew what we were asking for but the warehouse shipped us 300 short filters.

We are not taking them. There is a small chance that we can find some tall filters on Monday.

Hopefully better news will come Monday.

Here is a list of filters for the Acura's from the Edmonton Parts guy on the south side.
Trev

Attachments

• Oil Filter List_resize.jpg
    Oil Filter List_resize.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 59
sorry Guys Its Not Going To Happen!!!!

The Filters Are The New Ones (short) With The Old Part Number!!!

Back