• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Targa leaking water!!!!

Now that is raining like cats and dogs my targa is leaking water on both sides toward the front left and right, are there anything I can do beside changing new seals? I due drive my car rain or shine :biggrin:

thanks in advance everybody

certainly your rubber may have shrunk some over the years but check your windows as they me need to be adjusted to sit tighter to the rubber when closed.

I have the same problem. I hear the window alignment is a PITA. Im thinking of new weatherstripping or the window adjustment. My car is an 00, keep us posted what you do, because it is annoying.

I don't think it leaking from the window but rather where the targa seal and the one on the car are joined together . I'll double check it again.

Make sure that your top is correctly positioned. If you "pinch" the rubber when you slapped your top back on, it will leak. Try unlatching the top and shifting it around a bit...run your fingers along the creases and make sure it;s all lining up and isn't folded over.... re-seat it and lock it down.

If that's not it, then ya, you may need new seals.

I have the same problem. I hear the window alignment is a PITA. Im thinking of new weatherstripping or the window adjustment. My car is an 00, keep us posted what you do, because it is annoying.

The weatherstripping is a 1 piece unit and runs about $1000 from the dealer. You will want to avoid this for obvious reasons.

In addition to the window adjustment (likely to be the most effective solution), I suggest keeping the weatherstripping well maintained by using Shin-Etsu grease from the dealer.

More in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1024774

Last edited:
i have just replaced both of the targa window seals and i still get few drips from the aforementioned area of the junction with the A-pillar, which prompts me to suspect that unless you get a new windshield / a-pillar seal you will have to live with it.

After time the weather seal gets crushed down and looses its ability to stay ply & seal, heat, sunlight & the elements & climate which you live in start to take its toll on the rubber. Have you tried to conditioning your seals again?

I found using wet silicone lube spray with good result helps preserve & protect rubber helping it stay ply as well. Just spray it on and rub it in with a saturated soft cloth rag works great. Spray the rubber down get it nice and saturated now gently wipe it off... you will get a lot of black nasty crap on the rag (this will vary in the condition of your seals). Repeat this a few times until it looks a little better, once that is fairly clean spray a light coat on and let it sit for a few minutes until it is mostly absorbed, wipe off the excess and let it sit for about 20~30mins till its dry.

Optional you can also apply a light coat of silicone gel lube to the seals after using the spray. This helps make the application of the spray last longer, but I've never bothered using it as my car get like 3000 miles a season, so I only do it once a season with the spray. Close your doors, roll up the windows, and put the targa cover back on and away you go. If the car is your daily driver you might want to do it a few times a year.

If your seals are too far gone might be time to replace them which can be really costly. 3M makes it as well as a few different companies. A spray can will run you under $10 I know here in Canada you can get this stuff at Canadian tire, I'm sure any pep boys, Wal-Mart or any auto supply etc will have it too.

Last edited:
I have found that most leaking targas on nsx's can be traced back to their source pretty easily , if you run water on the roof and find out where it is coming in you can trace it back and seal it up , I personally like to use clear silicone since it can be peeled off later if desired.

I have occasional issues with the t-tops on my MR2. Some clear silicone grease, strategically applied, usually does the trick and actually lasts quite a while if you leave the lids on. Cheap to try before you start looking at seals and service stuff.

Im on my 3rd targa weatherstripping. The first problem is always the part at the top right-hand cornere of the drivers window. The targa has always leaked on the drivers side at the front corner. Doesn't seem to be a fix. All 3 of my targa weather stripping has done the exact same thing.

Im on my 3rd targa weatherstripping. The first problem is always the part at the top right-hand cornere of the drivers window. The targa has always leaked on the drivers side at the front corner. Doesn't seem to be a fix. All 3 of my targa weather stripping has done the exact same thing.

See my last post :). I won't go so far as to guarantee it will work, but I'm the only person I know who's MR2 T-Tops NEVER leak. Targa is the same principle, only one piece instead of two. Take the top off, then put a glob of clear silicone grease right at the corner where it butts up (the place where it leaks). Put the top back on and make sure it's properly seated. With some luck, you will no longer need to kiwi spray your pants to drive in the rain.

My 03 doesn't leak and I'm in Seattle. 32k miles.

Perhaps take it to a dealership?

I have been looking at this problem of the left and right corner seal leaking for some time and investigated it on a dozen or more NSX's that have been recently at my shop.
You may use the Honda grease to try and seal the fit but I don't believe that is the problem.
The seals are going to let water in, that's the way they are designed but it is then supposed to drain down a hole in the top of the seal. It travels down this tube and comes out lower on the hinge pillar.

This is a hole or tube that is about as big as a drinking straw and over time as the rubber fatigues and ages, it gets crushed, the water doesn't flow down, fills the pocket and goes into the car. This does not seem to happen as much to the newer cars whose gaskets are still firm and hold their shape and this tube open.
I've been looking for a suitable hose or straw to fit in there, one that does not have walls too thick.It would need the top end flared slightly to keep it from sliding down into the weatherstrip.

I was going to look at the water hoses they use for ice cube makers but am so busy with other problems have let it die on my list of things to do.

I use Sil-Glyde to lubricate the rubber seals on all my cars. Its a great product.

American-Grease-Stick-SG-2-rw-203260-311600.jpg

American Grease SG-2 Stick Sil-Glyde Lubricant

American Grease SG-2 Stick Sil-Glyde Lubricant Features:
• A longer lasting, high film strength lubricant for all surfaces
• Safe on rubber, metal, wood, plastic, and glass
• Weatherproof - performs from 20 degrees below zero to plus 400 degree F
• Lubricates weather stripping, trunk seals, hood bumpers, strips, pads, window channels, cable, and seat tracks
• Excellent for brakes, won't melt and prevents rust
• Prevents weather stripping and trunk seal from sticking and freezing
• Weatherproofs ignition, protects battery terminal from corrosion
• 1-1/2 oz

Last edited:
I took some pics tonight to help explain what I believe is the underlying problem to the top leaking.

The first picture shows the top removed and set back. I have placed two green drinking straws in the drain holes to show the locations.

ry%3D400

The second picture shows a close up of the holes themselves looking down into them. These are not readily apparent and you may need to use a light and spread the strip open to see them.
Take note of the little dam built into the rubber to help conduct the water down into the top hole and bottom as well. Do not get too rough with the rubber or you may tear the little dam and have the water move where you do not want it to go.
ry%3D480

Last is a picture of the lower weatherstrip on the middle of the hinge pillar.
This is where the water is supposed to exit, draining out in front of where the weatherstrip on the door meets the pillar so it won't go in the cabin.
ry%3D400

I submit, it is when the top holes are crushed by the fatigue of the weather strip, closing the holes so the water can't exit properly that the water drips inside the cabin. That is problem I have often seen and mis-diagnosed.

What is needed is a fix for this and I am working on a tube that can be inserted into these channels to assert their integrity and restore thier proper functioning.

An insert for these holes are needed so they don't collapse, yet not restrict the flow by narrowing the drain itself by having a insert whose walls are too thick.

Last edited:
I took some pics tonight to help explain what I believe is the underlying problem to the top leaking.

The first picture shows the top removed and set back. I have placed two green drinking straws in the drain holes to show the locations.

ry%3D400

The second picture shows a close up of the holes themselves looking down into them. These are not readily apparent and you may need to use a light and spread the strip open to see them.
Take note of the little dam built into the rubber to help conduct the water down into the top hole and bottom as well. Do not get too rough with the rubber or you may tear the little dam and have the water move where you do not want it to go.
ry%3D480

Last is a picture of the lower weatherstrip on the middle of the hinge pillar.
This is where the water is supposed to exit, draining out in front of where the weatherstrip on the door meets the pillar so it won't go in the cabin.
ry%3D400

I submit, it is when the top holes are crushed by the fatigue of the weather strip, closing the holes so the water can't exit properly that the water drips inside the cabin. That is problem I have often seen and mis-diagnosed.

What is needed is a fix for this and I am working on a tube that can be inserted into these channels to assert their integrity and restore thier proper functioning.

An insert for these holes are needed so they don't collapse, yet not restrict the flow by narrowing the drain itself by having a insert whose walls are too thick.

Stellar. Analysis plausible and probable. I can "see" this narrowing of the arteries happening as my babies age and the rubber dries out. Figuratively speaking, of course!

I can "see" this narrowing of the arteries happening as my babies age and the rubber dries out.

What I have seen is not that the rubber dries out, it gets softer, less dense, easier to crush, collaspe and the the tubes or channels become closed.

The 02-05's at my shop seldom have this problem as opposed to say the 1995-1999 NSX's.

Last edited:
aha ! so THATS what those holes are for...

Very plausible and makes perfect sense

btw, 2000, no leaks... then again, I've never had rain to drive in :cool:

Back