• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TCS Light and Check Engine

Hey guys, I have a 97 NSX with 40k miles and the other day I started it up and the Check Engine light and the TCS light stayed lit. I have not noticed any performance issues or braking issues with it and all systems as far as I know are working correctly. Any suggestions? I would hook up the OBDII port to get a code from it, however, my car was modded and during some part of the modification they moved/removed the interface under the glove box. There is just a hole there now.

It usually happens when you run higher than 17" & 18" wheels. Go back to oem and most likely it will go away.

It usually happens when you run higher than 17" & 18" wheels. Go back to oem and most likely it will go away.
TCS is a function of the outer diameter of the tires. So the crucial factor is the tire sizes, not the wheel sizes.

I have 17 in the front and 18 in the back. The tires have been on for over a year. When I bought it from the dealer they looked like new and they still do pretty much. Any other thoughts? I think I am going to have to start taking apart the dash to find the ODBII connector to read the code. I wonder where to start though, maybe taking out the glovebox first?

Take off the bottom to the glove door and see if the cable is laying there. I would then take off the glove door and glove compartment. Have you reset the ECU by pulling the fuse first?

I have 17 in the front and 18 in the back. The tires have been on for over a year. When I bought it from the dealer they looked like new and they still do pretty much.
It's possible that the tire sizes are causing the TCS to activate. But we would need to know the full tire sizes - for example, 215/40-17 (not just the wheel diameter) - in order to tell you whether that's the cause.

Last edited:
MUST READ - Re: TCS Light and Check Engine

I just hit 39000 miles and the check engine light and TCS light both came on. I found out the o/ sensor was to blame and almost purchased a new o e when someone sent me a link to a TSB from Honda that covers o2 sensors for 14 years and or 150,000mi. That saves me 650 bucks.

But the TCS light was still on...

I was driving along today and the clutch pedal barely had engagement. Only in the last .5-1 inch of travel. So I diverted towards the Acura dealership and barely made it. Popped the hood and to my Amazement, no clutch fluid in the resevior. Put some brake fluid in (as directed by my users manual) and pumped the clutch to remove air bubbles.

Started car....... Shifted gears with no problem...... And the TCS light extinguished.

Seriously happy, slightly confused, baffled, thankful... But really WTF???!?!?!

Just got back from my NSX expert at Mcgrath Acura. It must be a pretty common issue, because he knew about it instantly. Said that if the check engine light comes on due to 02 sensor (or other reasons I assume) it can often trigger the TCS system to kick off line.

He also mentioned that it has to do with a POST test of sorts. (Power On Self Test). On occasion you might be able to turn the car on and off until the POST test is passed and the TCS light may turn off.

Just thought you might like an update.

Jman

1. For 1995+ cars the TCS "Yellow" light will luminate if the ECU has a issue. I typically ignore the TCS and find the problem that generated the CEL.

2. You need a clutch master/slave, since the lost fluid is now under your front carpet;).

Regards,
LarryB

BINGO - The part that failed was the Slave.. no fluid under carpet. However, I was advised to replace both the Clutch master and the slave because the master was showing signs of imminent failure. Namely, the ring was wet, and based on milage and the fact it has a history of failure to just do them both at the same time.

With labor im looking at 650... does that seem high? or about right?

Jman

1. For 1995+ cars the TCS "Yellow" light will luminate if the ECU has a issue. I typically ignore the TCS and find the problem that generated the CEL.

2. You need a clutch master/slave, since the lost fluid is now under your front carpet;).

Regards,
LarryB

JMAN,

I had mine done, and thats about what i paid. but I watched and helped the mechanic do it, and I could have done it myself. its not hard. if you do do it yourself near the end of your work if you keep pumping it and pumping it and filling it and filling it and still nothing, the main hose that mounts to the engine, make sure that is torqued down nice and tight as we discovered that it wasnt building pressure cuz it wasnt inserted into the housing correctly

Back