• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tell me about the time you 1st drove the nsx

I always tell my friends that the first time I ever drove an NSX, was the closest thing I've ever had to a "religious experience" in my life.

My first car was an LT1 camaro z28 6 speed, hotcammed, RR'ed, pcm tuned, full exhaust, etc - and as a college student scraping by, it was my pride and joy. After I graduated and got a decent job, I finally was able to afford my then-dream car - a C5 Z06.

I had always admired the NSX, but saw them as unattainable supercars that wouldn't be able to touch the C5Z in any way whatsoever. That's what I told myself, anyway. That is, until I met up with a fellow alumni (who is also a member on this board), and he let me drive his 1991 NSX.

I remember getting into the NSX and thinking "well, it is showing its age" - but before I knew it, I had this huge shit-eating grin on my face and I could not WAIT for the next turn to approach so i could turn the wheel and feel all that sweet feedback coming to me unhampered through the unassisted rack. I felt, for the first time, connected to the ground, like I was one with the road and machine. And I thought to myself, in these exact words - "Ah, so this is what all the fuss is about." My entire automotive world was turned upside down at that point.

It wasn't something I could have imagined before I drove one myself - but once I tasted it, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

That same day, when I got back into my C5Z after driving the NSX around, I was instantly saddened and depressed. The C5Z felt like a huge boat, and the front wheels felt like they were floating in the air, not connected to anything, or touching anything on the road. The seats felt like bouncy la-z-boy recliners. The nose felt 10 feet long, and a huge weight dragged along everytime I turned the car. It was then I knew my dream car was ruined for me - not by some brand new ferrari or lamborghini - but by a 18+ year old honda (at the time).

I now have an NSX, so you can figure out what I did with the C5Z (and all the other cars I've had in between). Every car I owned was just compared in my head to that 91 NSX I drove, and none of them ever compared. Though I will give credit to the 2009 Boxster S, which came very, very close :)

I remember getting into the NSX and thinking "well, it is showing its age" - but before I knew it, I had this huge shit-eating grin on my face and I could not WAIT for the next turn to approach so i could turn the wheel and feel all that sweet feedback coming to me unhampered through the unassisted rack. I felt, for the first time, connected to the ground, like I was one with the road and machine. And I thought to myself, in these exact words - "Ah, so this is what all the fuss is about." My entire automotive world was turned upside down ...

There it is, right there. Captured the essence nicely!

Back