• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ten Things I Love about my NSX

Over the past several months, things have gone well for my business. This, in and of itself is a complete miracle; I am a charter member of the BCA (The Bonehead Club of America). As has been the case since I was old enough to form rational thought, my first impulse when I have money is to buy a car. The problem, of course, is that since 1991, I've only wanted one car, the mighty NSX.

That dream came true for me in 2000, when I bought a new NSXt. I was so impressed with it that I traded "up" to a new Coupe the next year.

Anyway, for the last several months, I've been perusing the dealers in Phoenix (you should see the new Penske Luxo-plex in North Scottsdale!) in addition to my weekly dose of Autoweek Magazine, Car and Driver and Road and Track. Somwhere in the back of my fevered mind is this thought -- if I were to buy another sports car, which would it be? Is there anything out there that might entice me away from my NSX?

The answer, I am happy to report, is a resounding NO. For my tastes, which are admittedly very subjective, there is just nothing else on the market that compares. My intent here is not to invite responses from devotees to other marques, i.e., "You are a complete dingbat if you think that the NSX is better than the (insert name of car here).

I guess my motivation for writing this post is in response to the oft heard phrase which goes something like this: "For a twelve year old design, the NSX holds up pretty well." HOGWASH! That's like saying: "You know, for an ancient invention, that wheel idea still works pretty good". Does twelve years change the laws of physics or engineering?

Yea, I know -- we all want a V8. However, would the benefit derived from V8 power compensate for upsetting the balance of the car? Don't you think that Mother Honda thought about this when they whipped out that clean sheet of paper? Would it really make the NSX experience better when one can achieve a significant power boost through supercharging the existing design?

The bottom line for me is this: Once in a great while, whether it be art or engineering, a masterpiece comes along. The wise spot it and grab it while they can. The rest just follow along because someone else said they should. As far as I am concerned, there has never been, and will never be, a car like the NSX.

Sorry, I used up my vocabulary. I won't be able to tell you the ten things I love about my NSX,except to say, in the inimitable words of Dali Racing, that "it rocks".

Great words, DeHaldaswerth!

However, I was expecting to see that top ten list. And I was disappointed. So here are ten things I love about my NSX. Anyone is welcome to add his own list of ten (or more or less) things also.

1. NSXprime, including the FAQ and the forums and all the people who hang out here. Thanks, Lud!

2. NSXPO - the ability to get together with a couple hundred of the nicest people you'll find anywhere, all of whom love the NSX. And, of course, the NSX Club of America and all its volunteers who make this event happen each year.

3. The handling, and in particular, the way the car will go exactly where you point it, as though it's laser-guided and can read your mind.

4. The looks. It is indeed stunning. But if I had to point out one styling feature that I love the best, it is how the rear fenders meet the rear wing - the way the tops of the fenders start out flat, but slope upward and meet so organically to blend in with that gorgeous stock rear wing.

5. The people who support the car, including the terrific techs at my local dealership, the service folks everywhere who specialize in NSX service (hi, NSX Service Girl!) and NSX parts, the folks at Acura HQ including Woodwork, etc.

6. The colors. Oh, those colors! Brilliant Formula Red, deep rich Monte Carlo Blue, etc. - each of them exquisite. What a beautiful finish!

7. The memorabilia. The coffee table books. The models in glass, wood, metal, plastic. Every time you turn around, someone offers a new watch or some other classy item.

8. The tires. Those OEM tires that stick like glue. There aren't many cars that come from the factory with tires that are better in so many ways than anything else you can buy. And even fewer had those tires designed specifically for that car, and for each of that car's four corners.

9. Detailing the car (washing and waxing, etc.). Every time I do, it reminds me of the beauty inherent in all of the lines on all of its body panels.

10. "The best sports car the world has ever produced. Any time. Any place. Any price." Or, in DeHaldaswerth's words: It rocks!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 January 2003).]

Since I promised ten, I better ad at least a few of my own to the great list provided above.

1. I love the view over the hood, especially when that dotted white line is flowing under the car at, ahem, speed.

2. I love the rev range and the way the car just pulls and then pulls some more until you are a blur on the landscape -- third gear from about 3000 rpm to 8000 is incredible.

3. I love the hair raising howl the comes up right behind my head while experiencing number 2, above.

4. I love that all the "kids" that play GT3 know the car and seem to react positively to it -- seems like all of my interactions with this group is positive. Its not always easy to start off on positive ground with the age group from 12-18.

It will be tough to limit it to just 10, but here are the 10 things I love about my NSX:

1. That growl the intake and exhaust make, starting way down low in the rev range and then winding up and up to a banshee-like wail as the engine nears 8,000 rpm!

2. The combination of the way the hood drops off, the big front windshield and the forward seating position so that it looks and feels like you are at the very front of the car with nothing between you and the road rushing under your feet.

3. The way the steering wheel firmly but gently feeds back every bump and twist in the road during high speed corners.

4. The hand built quality together with Honda reliability in a car that performs like it should cost two or three times as much.

5. The world class ergonomics.

6. The handling that set the benchmark for the 1990s and inspired Gordon Murray in his of design the greatest sports car ever, the McLaren F1.

7. It is a supercar without the supercost or compromises that most supercars expect their owners to endure.

8. Driving it for a whole day - whether at the track or on the highway - and looking forward with anticipation (and a fair bit of impatience) to the next chance when I can take it for a good long drive.

9. The comments that instructors make when I take them out for a few quick laps on a track day. I never get tired of hearing "Wow, I cannot believe the power band this has.", "I'm surprised at how deep this can go into the corners." or "Your car sounds awesome!".

10. The way it makes me grin every time - and I mean EVERY time - I drive it!

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NSX Maven (edited 15 January 2003).]

10 - I hate small factory brakes and low factory HP.

9 - I hate being able to fit only two bags of clubs in the trunk.

8 - I hate the worthless sun visors on the targa

7 - I hate replacing tires often.

6 - I hate $1700 clutch jobs.

5 - I hate the popup lights.

4 - I hate the Bose stereo.

3 - I hate the cramped location of the oil filter.

2 - I hate changing the spark plugs.

1 - I hate loving my NSX more than any other car on the planet.
tongue.gif

"Don't fix something that aint broke." WOW factor of this timeless design. Like the redline it goes on and on because it can. "One of the most beautiful shapes to have been crafted by man."

Tan

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
10 - I hate ...
1 - I hate loving my NSX more than any other car on the planet.
tongue.gif

Until I got to #1 I thought you had traded in your halo for a pair of horns so you could stir up things a bit. Most of your compaints are merely the small price of admission to one the greatest rides there is!

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
5 - I hate the popup lights.

For ugly pop-up lights you don't have to look any farther than the C5! IMO the NSX has the best execution of pop-ups on the planet. The Porsche 928 frog-eyes coming in second.

Maven / Chops - my list was a play on words. I actually LIKE the pop-up lights. In fact, I do not like, at all, flush-mounted lights on the NSX.

As far as the Bose stereo, I have had zero problems with mine, so for me to hate it is actually a spoof, as well.

I agree.....if those were really "complaints" as whined by me, they pale in comparison to being fortunate enough to own THE BEST production (and practical) sportscar on the planet.

The pop-up headlights are one of my favorite styling elements on the NSX. In fact, if I were to buy a 2002+ NSX, I'd have to do a 2001 conversion on the front end...

Originally posted by tabasco:
The thing I love the most is driving by a big plate glass window on an office building or store and looking at my NSXs reflection going by. Definitely the best thing I've see all day.

That also works well when you pass a shiny tanker truck.

Originally posted by tabasco:
The thing I love the most is driving by a big plate glass window on an office building or store and looking at my NSX's reflection going by. Definitely the best thing I've see all day.

Hey, I'm that way too with my cars! It's unfair that when you drive a nice car, only other people get to enjoy the nice (exterior) views
frown.gif

1. The owner community and events.

2. The balance. No one characteristic is overwhelming. Everything is in harmony.

3. The chameleon nature. You can cruise in comfort or run errands around town, or you can tip in the throttle and have a world-class sports car.

4. The supercharger. Best NSX mod EVER in my book.

5. The looks. There are areas I would do differently but overall I like it a lot.

6. The vendor community. We have some truly amazing vendors considering the size of the market.

7. The engineering. The more I learn about or work on the car, the more times I say "wow, cool." It is a left-brain sports car. Perhaps that is one reason it has not sold well.

8. The ergonomics and comfort. The NSX really raised the bar for the rest of the field on this point, and I that will be a major part of it's legacy.

9. My aftermarket stereo. The OEM Bose stinks in my opinion.

10. The driving experience. Numbers never tell the whole story about a car. The NSX is the best driving experience for the money in my book. Just going for a long back-roads drive with the top off on a beautiful day is hard to beat.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 17 January 2003).]

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Hey, I'm that way too with my cars! It's unfair that when you drive a nice car, only other people get to enjoy the nice (exterior) views
frown.gif

I have let my best friend drive my nsx and I drive his car just so I can see and hear the nsx in action and love the way the RM exhaust and headers sound from behind when he blows me away while I am in his Nissan vspec sentra. I wish I could see myself driving my nsx, I guess I want my cake and I want to eat it too.

Originally posted by Soichiro:
THE GEARBOX!!! The wonderful feeling of moving gears and feeling them mesh. No other car has this much feel in the tranny.
I agree. All model NSX's, excluding the Zanardi (type S) gearbox, have identical feel compared to the S2000's , except the longer (but not by much) shift throws. The Zanardi gearbox feels slicker with less resistance than std. NSX's. Why is the Z-NSX different? I have no idea. Maybe someone here can explain this?

I agree alot with everyone, one especially that I wish I could see my car how it looks from the outside and if someone else was driving....

one night, while in my van... I saw a cool pair of headlight coming up behind me, not HID just different layout, as it pulled up closer in the next lane, I looked over could only really see the front body lines, and said WOW that is nice ass car...I didnt want to rubberneck it to much, as I gradually slowed down, it passed me and it was an NSX! I thought to myself I have that car!!

It looks awesome when you drive next to it, behind it, and see it coming in the rear view...

Originally posted by DeHaldaswerth:
That dream came true for me in 2000, when I bought a new NSXt. I was so impressed with it that I traded "up" to a new Coupe the next year.

New coupe in 2001??? What color combo and year is your car??

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)

Originally posted by mason@tirerack:
New coupe in 2001??? What color combo and year is your car??

He has a 2001 red coupe with black top. I know -- I drooled over that car for months at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City before he came in and stole it from me
smile.gif
!

-Bob ('94 #496)

I posted my own top 10 list on my NSX site not long after I bought her in 2000. Here it is (for those who have not yet read it):

10. I can honestly say I own my dream car

9. It IS an exotic (i.e. a very rare high performance automobile with looks that turn heads)

8. I feel like I'm playing a real-life version of Gran Turismo whenever I drive behind another NSX

7. The NSX feels and sounds like a race car at high-revs, but still performs respectably at low-revs

6. The NSX feels as rock solid driving at 35mph as it does at 135mph

5. It is as reliable as any Acura/Honda

4. The NSX is one of few cars that someone can enthusiastically embrace as a replacement for a Ferrari

3. The NSX is the top-of-the-line Japanese automobile (being half Japanese, I take pride in this)

2. NSX owners are an extremely great crowd to hang out with (which is why I joined the NSXCA)

1. The NSX's blend of precision engineering with aesthetic beauty perfectly complements the split personality of this digital artist

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Back