• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tesla s signature

Elon Muskis a master manipulator. Each journalist only got 10 minutes to review the car so that no one would be able to figure out what the range actually is. Time will tell, but I would place a bet than actual range 1 year into ownership is slightly more than 50% of the claim. Li batteries quickly lose their original capacity and then slowly lose more and more as time goes by. That is why your new laptop rocks for the first month, then gets 80%. A year later you are about 70% or less of the original time and slowly goes down from there.

I agree about Elon Musk. Anyone who has followed Tesla Motors from the beginning knows that the founder is actually Martin Eberhard. Musk was brought in as a chief investor and given the chairman position, but it now seems that his Wikipedia page is updated to show that he was a co-founder of Tesla Motors.

Even still: solar power is like wind. As long as the cost of maintenance is less than the total revenue/savings from solar power, it's basically free. Even if you're only getting a little bit of it, it's still something for "nothing." I was thinking about this yesterday. ALL electric cars should have some form of solar power on their roofs. Why not? What could it hurt? It may not keep up with consumption, but it will slow it down.

If I have the opportunity, I'm definitely going to put solar panels on my roof when I get into my own house. Heck, I might even start now by putting trickle chargers in my apartment windows :D

If the world ignored capital costs you'd be dead on :smile:

If I offered the world a bond that pays 3% or solar panels that pay 2%, all things being equal, I wouldn't be getting long solar. I am a huge solar fan and have taken graduate level courses related to their design but, at least with today's variables, it is rarely economical. I am hoping a company absorbs the capital costs and becomes successful at marking leasing as a better alternative. Given how long the average person stays in their house combined with how the costs of solar are evaluated (monthly basis), it's likely the most efficient way.

If I walked up to your door and told you I'd cover all the install, maintenance, and insurance and still save you 'cost of panel monthly' + >1$ you'd probably go for it. There are several areas where this is already economical and my educated guess is it'll take off within 5 years. Low margin business though unless electricity rates spike.

Yeah. Some of my friends were considering installing solar panels on their roof, but the monthly cost out stripped their current electric bill.

For me, I'd rather just build the house with the panels to start with. Another thing I'd love to do is somehow hook up my meter to a treadmill or stair climber etc. Save on power and get some exercise at the same time! If I do get to build my own house, I'm definitely going to try to get that going... or, at least hook up the TV to the treadmill... make the kids work for those Saturday morning cartoons!

Back