• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Test Pipe thoughts/suggestions...

I'm trying to gauge how my car will sound with test pipes and the Taitec GTLW exhaust that I have on my car now. I have the Downforce AIS and the GTLW as my only mods. I love the sound of the GTLW - it just howls. I'm hesitant in adding test pipes as I don't want that "raspy" sound that they sometimes have (I've only heard 1 on an NSX). I just want to add more sound volume across the board, at idle, highway, WOT, everytime. I have a 1991.

What have your experiences been like? How much added noise did it make and how did it "change" the note of your exhausts after adding them on? I'd expecially like to hear those that run test pipes without headers. With headers I'm guessing it will be even louder and perhaps raspier still?? I had a 1977 Ferrari 308GTB that didn't have the cats(that came in 1978), and it sounded glorious. Didn't stink too bad or sputter soot either too badly.

Also, if the bolts holding on the cats have been there since 1991, how hard would it be to break them loose after putting some penentrating fluid on them? I would think they would be particularly hard to remove.

The GTLW is loud with test pipes, really loud. I ran test pipes for awhile and finally went to Prospeed 200 cell cats. The sound is very good and I really got tired of waxing the smut from my rear bumper weekly.

If you use a good penetrant (I recommend PB Blaster) and a breaker bar, it should not be too hard. The cat on the passenger side is a bit tricky though. I would recommend removing the wheel to get better access to the bolts.

Ha, every time I lean one way, then I hear something else that makes me think I should just stay with what I have.

davidf, do you also run headers? Was the 200 cell much louder than the stock cats?

swimmingpie - good tips! Funny my friend recommended PBlaster so I just picked up a can last week!

Last edited:
This is a JGTC Taitec, but should sound the same. I haven't had a chance to put straight pipes on my lightweight yet, maybe this weekend.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qC8wZxCmM2o?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qC8wZxCmM2o?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Ha, every time I lean one way, then I hear something else that makes me think I should just stay with what I have.

davidf, do you also run headers? Was the 200 cell much louder than the stock cats?

swimmingpie - good tips! Funny my friend recommended PBlaster so I just picked up a can last week!

I have the same thing installed right now, prospeed 200 cell with lightweight.

I think the sound is perfect, but I do miss my straight pipes.

They are'nt much louder but you can hear the difference. They weigh about 1/3 of what stock cats weigh also. It's win/win IMO.

Do it. Its not loud inside the car........ Outside is an entirely different story. I let my gf drive it and her going to 4k i can easily hear it out of my block about a half mile away, let alone the sound of vtec at wot. I love it. Sounds like a true high reving vtec. Marinensx just did it. He on socal posts mainly. Pm him for his oppinion. I think he has a gtlw like u and just got the pipes.

how bad is the smell

how bad is the smell

Everyone talks of "the smell". You wont smell it but here and there. For ex rev your car out to first gear on a hot day. Drive it up to about 25mph to a light, when u stop you will get a sniff. Only other time is when ur face is on your bumper or warming up in garage. Otherwise not bad at all.

I have heard GTLW with cats and have heard e.pie's GTLW without cats. I think it sounds so much better with TP's. I run TP's with my Pride and will not go back. The car also revs much better with TP's.

I just put the SOS TP's on mine a couple weeks ago. I have topspeed headers and a flowmaster exhaust. I would agree with the comments here. Its louder, but not much louder inside with the windows up when cruising. I haven't heard it outside yet, but with the windows down and into the throttle above 3-4k.....its sounds a lot more agressive.
The smell....I noticed a little bit more smell, but nothing really annoying/alarming, at least not to me.

I've been in flame wars over this before, so i won't go into detail, but if you have an intake, header, exhaust like most everyone has, removing cats DOES NOT make your exhaust smell. Just Google "exhaust smell" and you will get the scoop. I've had test pipes for 15 years, never smelled at all. And i've had several other cars sans cats, same deal.

The smell is noticeable from the back, but not annoying. The cat's job is too burn off unburned fuel but if your cars is tuned properly it's miminal. As far as loudness outside the car, about 2 years ago I was driving behind Z {Zishan} and my ears still ring occasionally.:biggrin:

Back