• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Testing at Mid Ohio...

haha...he and I don't get a long much. Much of that is my fault though. I've tried to be civil in offering a valid counterpoint to his predictions/facts/guesstimates. Well, most of the time. I'm sure we'd get along fine IRL. His predictions or facts are about 50% right.

Looks like Jeff responded that the sound is genuine audio from the test car. Though this won't be the actual powerplant for the real car.

No it really isn't your fault. He's actually calmed down quite a bit as when I first contridicted him on the V10 ASCC he went ballistic! Came over to prime and started trying to go through my posts saying that since I live in Michigan I don't even own an NSX and probably drove a Viper just all sorts of nonsense. He'd never answer my question about the ASCC as he was saying it was an awful pig to drive and I asked how heavy was the engine was. I laughed out loud when he started trying to say it will comeback as 5.5L but you got on his case about that. LOL Who isn't 50% right most of the time. I still don't believe Honda will do a turbo, but I guess we'll see.

Well but that contradicts that Honda is saying the car will be using an actual production powertrain????

- - - Updated - - -

Automotive news said that there could be a cheaper non hybrid variant of the NSX version from a honda source

If this is the case then Honda has finally wised up. A hybrid only version was silly and bad business decision to begin with. Everyone else sells different versions of their car here but some idiot at Honda decided to only offer one version in their largest market?? We finally got a watered down S version (Zanardi) too little too late.

I really hope Honda learned from the last gen NSX and offers the new car in base versions , hybrid and convertible. They'll certainly sell a lot more. I may be drinking the kool aid but I think a base 3.5 could match the base R8 (not the new C7 though) and 911 based on last gen C32B performance. Let the full on hybrid go up against the higher ends.

...I may be drinking the kool aid but I think a base 3.5 could match the base R8 (not the new C7 though) and 911 based on last gen C32B performance. Let the full on hybrid go up against the higher ends.

I think you might be drinking that cool aid. A Honda 3.5 might be able to match the base R8 because of weight differences and drivetrain. But comparing that possiblility to the new Porsche? The new 911 is far and away better than any other car out there. And lets not even talk about the new GT3, it is not even on the same planet.

Honda has know how and engineering. But other car makers have been continually working on their cars, Honda has been sitting on their hands for the last 20 years. They have been out of the game a while. When I hear stuff about twin turbos and things of that nature combined with hybrid tech, it feels forced to me.

Forget the GTR, 458, McLaren. That new GT3 looks like the benchmark to me. It doesn't have stratospheric HP. It is not hybrid. It doesn't have twin turbos. But it does have two big things going for it. Driving experience, and the respect of everyone. Probably the best all weather, daily driver sports car on the market right now. And that is what I would like the NSX to be.

I think you might be drinking that cool aid. A Honda 3.5 might be able to match the base R8 because of weight differences and drivetrain. But comparing that possiblility to the new Porsche? The new 911 is far and away better than any other car out there. And lets not even talk about the new GT3, it is not even on the same planet.

Honda has know how and engineering. But other car makers have been continually working on their cars, Honda has been sitting on their hands for the last 20 years. They have been out of the game a while. When I hear stuff about twin turbos and things of that nature combined with hybrid tech, it feels forced to me.

Forget the GTR, 458, McLaren. That new GT3 looks like the benchmark to me. It doesn't have stratospheric HP. It is not hybrid. It doesn't have twin turbos. But it does have two big things going for it. Driving experience, and the respect of everyone. Probably the best all weather, daily driver sports car on the market right now. And that is what I would like the NSX to be.

You know Caustic I don't have a good basis to argue as it's been so long since Honda has done anything truly great I don't know what's left in them. Nothing they've done of late has been for enthusiasts and it's main stream stuff is just keeping pace. They have been testing against both the 458 and new 911 so hopefully the driving experience of those two will rub off on the new car.

A counter to your GT3 argument though is that the 458 has the same two big things going for it and it's replacement will more than likely be even better. Plus current 458 is an all weather car too so not sure what makes the 911 GT3 better in that perspective either?? Price disparity is huge between those two though.

Sorry, but the new one does nothing for me on the exterior and purported powerplant.

V6? Unless it's a F1 V6 it's NOT going to sound sexy.

There was a documentary on the making of the McLaren MPC.

They said that according to research half of the sports cars' sex appeal is the exhaust note.

I really hope that all of this new NSX thing is a joke and they just roll out the HSC with that other V-10 3.5 liter 550HP powerplant.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the new Miata MX-5 is only 100HP less but at 2200lbs (yes unlike other car companies Mazda is the master at making their cars lighter than even Hondas - just look at the mostly steel RX-7 FD vs. the NSX)

625437_689003487780863_1876696804_n.jpg

You know Caustic I don't have a good basis to argue as it's been so long since Honda has done anything truly great I don't know what's left in them. Nothing they've done of late has been for enthusiasts and it's main stream stuff is just keeping pace. They have been testing against both the 458 and new 911 so hopefully the driving experience of those two will rub off on the new car.

A counter to your GT3 argument though is that the 458 has the same two big things going for it and it's replacement will more than likely be even better. Plus current 458 is an all weather car too so not sure what makes the 911 GT3 better in that perspective either?? Price disparity is huge between those two though.

I don't think there is anything to argue about really. Its just an opinion I have, but it is sad that Honda's track record in the recent past makes us question what is possible. For all we know, Honda will knock another one out of the park like in 1990. The wait is killing us.

I think the all weather view is my previous bias on the two marques. A Ferrari in anything but blue skies and warm days? Never! Yeah, they really have gotten it together and make cars that are capable through inclement weather. But I wouldn't think twice about driving the Porsche through a horrid rain storm, or snow, or NYC streets. I wouldn't think twice about making the Porsche a DD. They just feel like a usable every day car, very similar to the NSX. A lot of it has to do with price, and a lot of it has to do with utility and usability. Ride height, size, comfort, space, and especially durability. Very NSXey. As far as durability, you will know what I mean if you have been watching this season's Top Gear. The 458 was literally disintegrating from use.

Can I still hope for a longitudinal V8?!? Cause those sound bytes sure don't sound like a typical V6.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Last edited:
I really hope that all of this new NSX thing is a joke and they just roll out the HSC with that other V-10 3.5 liter 550HP powerplant.

This.

I don't think there is anything to argue about really. Its just an opinion I have, but it is sad that Honda's track record in the recent past makes us question what is possible. For all we know, Honda will knock another one out of the park like in 1990. The wait is killing us.

I think the all weather view is my previous bias on the two marques. A Ferrari in anything but blue skies and warm days? Never! Yeah, they really have gotten it together and make cars that are capable through inclement weather. But I wouldn't think twice about driving the Porsche through a horrid rain storm, or snow, or NYC streets. I wouldn't think twice about making the Porsche a DD. They just feel like a usable every day car, very similar to the NSX. A lot of it has to do with price, and a lot of it has to do with utility and usability. Ride height, size, comfort, space, and especially durability. Very NSXey. As far as durability, you will know what I mean if you have been watching this season's Top Gear. The 458 was literally disintegrating from use.

Can I still hope for a longitudinal V8?!? Cause those sound bytes sure don't sound like a typical V6.

C/D Quote on the GT3
The motor produces its peak 475 horsepower at 8250 rpm, with the limiter set at a dizzying 9000 rpm. And it’s as eager to work hard as those numbers suggest, pulling cleanly at lower revs but really coming alive once the needle passes the “5” on the tach. The real killing zone is the band between 7000 and 9000 rpm, where the engine gets a second wind familiar to anyone who has experienced an old-school Honda VTEC and accompanies it with a hard-edged, near-race-car soundtrack. It’s a glorious, screw-you riposte to the forced-induction methods that almost every manufacturer seems to be turning to in a bid to combine performance figures with regulation-friendly efficiency.

High praise indeed hopefully Honda can match this since they're using a six as well. Of course I doubt they will but never know. Pricing on the GT3 starts at $131k on a PORSCHE! So again I ask how is HONDA going to start the NSX at $120-130k as some have been speculating??

Last edited:
The new Miata actually looks like it hired Infiniti designer to take a swing. It's not bad looking though.

Also makes me wonder high high their headlights are too and if they meet that 22 inch requirement... I guess it comes stock on high springs like a 4x4 then it still counts? Lol

The HSC looked like a Tiburon to me sure it had a mean engine, but looked meh...I agree the new NSX still isn't doing it for me either. That beak, it isn't a sexy looking car at all to me.

Nice Honda Accord headlights and Acura TL (and rest of the Acura line) beak.

Better Full RES:

Acura-NSX-Prototype-higher-res.jpg

This pic really accentuate the wedge shape and double staggered wheels. I like the teaser shot. If they can exaggerate the wedge look even more in the rear, it would be a homerun!

The prototype also looks like is already very close to production finish...

Think I will stick with my NIKEs.

Sorry, but the new one does nothing for me on the exterior and purported powerplant.

V6? Unless it's a F1 V6 it's NOT going to sound sexy.

There was a documentary on the making of the McLaren MPC.

They said that according to research half of the sports cars' sex appeal is the exhaust note.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the new Miata MX-5 is only 100HP less but at 2200lbs (yes unlike other car companies Mazda is the master at making their cars lighter than even Hondas - just look at the mostly steel RX-7 FD vs. the NSX)

625437_689003487780863_1876696804_n.jpg

Why so much hate before the car is in production? I love the sound of my NSX V6, I wouldn't trade it for the wet fart sound of Ferrari 360.

Here's a crop of the mid-Ohio pic
Does it appear that the body is just a thin shell and you can see right into the engine/rear compartment?
Acura-NSX-Prototype- body shell.jpg

Acura said that they will unveil the prototype of the NSX but by prototype means a race car because some say that the one that will lap prior to the honda indy 200 will not be using the real engine of the production version, so what does it mean by new NSX prototpe?

20 years? That's a bit exaggerated. The S2000 had some engineering highlights and the 02+ NSX-R, while mild and late in refinement, was still quite notable. It's more like 10 years.

I agree. The GT3 should be the benchmark if Honda is going NA V6 for the Engine. The 458 is a V8, so it would be hard to compete with, especially if 125 HP/liter NA is the industry cutting edge. However, the GT3 is still not mine and many other's cup of tea as far as styling is concerned. The 458's styling however is hard to deny.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the shoe version?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ebEMJy4cznQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very cool engine. Is that not a V8 though for the race version?

I'm glad you showed the video. It reminded me that a front engine V10 with a very low hood line, in fact, lower than the current mid-engine concept that appears to have a taller hood line, even though they may measure the same in dimension. WTH Honda?!

Perhaps the rumored non-hybrid version will have a different nose since it does not have to accommodate the e-motors???

The HSC looked like a Tiburon to me sure it had a mean engine, but looked meh...I agree the new NSX still isn't doing it for me either. That beak, it isn't a sexy looking car at all to me.

How the hell does the HSC look like a Tiburon??? And it didn't have a "mean" engine, speculation was that it had a 3.5-3.7L V6 engine.

Honda-HSC-Concept11.jpg

Attachments

• Honda-HSC-Concept11.jpg
    Honda-HSC-Concept11.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 391
Not sure where that quote came from .. 6lbs per hp maybe .. but not 6hp per pound. By my math, that would be approx 18,000 hp
Hey, having 6x the hp of most drag racing cars isn't a bad thing. You just need an awesome traction control.

How the hell does the HSC look like a Tiburon??? And it didn't have a "mean" engine, speculation was that it had a 3.5-3.7L V6 engine.

Honda-HSC-Concept11.jpg

I mistaked the HSV with the HSC

Back