• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thank you V1 AND 11-99 . . . (Wait, does that make sense?)

V1 users,

As this has been discussed many times before, we all love our V1's and wouldn't drive without it; nothing has changed that fact in my mind. Last night I found that it is even better (read: more sensitive) than I realized. For the future and the purpose of this note to the forume, I and you should probably pay a little closer atttention to its warnings. :rolleyes:

3/16/04 11:00pm
I am coming home from a long day and waiting at a red light in a four way intersection, preparing to turn left onto Prospect. I get a single "beep" from a Ka band and the V1 indicates it is coming from the front. I just assume that it is seeing activity FAR ahead of me and ignore it (big mistake). After negotiating an easy left and accelerate through the corner, I am off on my merry way . . . apparently going 53 in a 40mph zone (Do you know where this story is going?) . . . 400hp has a funny way of getting you there faster than one might think.

15 seconds later I get a 100% Ka burst and my instinctive hand brake to 40 is a futile effort and I am confronted with the flashing lights and that familiar, "oh crap" feeling. Anyhow, we all know the drill: engine off, interior lights on and hands clearly visable-- license and registration. After the standard, courteous traffic enforcement conversation and chat with the mystery person on the radio. The officer returns all my information and advises that "13 over is boarderline" and that I should "try and slow it down". I genuinely thank him and I am on my way home (<1 mile away) . . . with NO TICKET.

Enter the 11-99 appreciation. Pre 11-99 Foundation, I was NEVER given a warning, only asked for my signature. ;) I do have to admit however that the 11-99 was never specifically mentioned. I have the license plate frame, but I only have my previous experience to draw from. Anyhow, I am now a believer of two things:

1) I now love my V1 even more, it was able to "sniff out" instant on radar action AROUND a corner, maybe even fired in the opposite direction to me. In the future, I will treat these "threats" much more seriously.

2) 11-99 works.

This should now explain my title of the thread, I have to thank both my V1 for ringing true and 11-99 for bailing my butt out when I failed to listen to the warning . . .

Just thought I would share, Kevin

Good story, Kevin..

V1 has saved my butt more times than I can remember. I just don't feel safe without it!!!

;)

Wheelman said:
V1 has saved my butt more times than I can remember. I just don't feel safe without it!!!
werd.gif

Soichiro said:
What's the 11-99 Foundation?
From their website...

What is 11-99?

In the coded jargon of the California Highway Patrol, the call for an officer needing assistance is 11-99. It's appropriate then that an organization established to aide officers and employees of the California Highway Patrol be named the CHP 11-99 Foundation.

What is the CHP 11-99 Foundation?

The CHP 11-99 Foundation was founded in 1981 by Bob Weinberg as a charitable non-profit organization. This Foundation was created to provide benefits to California Highway Patrol employees and their families. This financial need generally arises due to a prolonged illness or death.

ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP

Cost: $500 initial fee; $300 annual renewal - billed in December

Kevin, I wouldn't be sure 11-99 had anything to do with it unless you were stopped by a chippie.

I have no idea whether it works, since I have not been stopped once since I joined several years ago. :cool:

myf16: Agreed, not sure what the main influencer is/was, but I'm just happy with the outcome. HaHa

NetViper: Yep, you're right, but the funny thing is that I chose the $1800 lifetime option and it was less a ticket that I was trying to avoid, rather than TAXES! I HATE EVERY April 15th.

Kevin

NetViper said:
That is pretty steep to avoid one ticket.

Not necessarily.

Factor in the ridiculous insurance premiums that we CA folks already pay and the potentially catastrophic effects of putting points on your record and the membership fees don't look so silly afterall.

Maybe it is me, but I don't think getting out of tickets should have anything to do with donating to 11-99.

I hope you are not donating to a worthwhile organization just to get out of tickets. I hope the money gets used well, and it goes to the family of officers that are lost doing their job.

If an officer sees the donation and chooses to let you off with a warning I don't see a problem with that either.:)

I have radar detectors and laser jammers (shifters) in all my vehicles. I just ordered the Passport SRX detector/shifter for the Lightning I just bought. I Plan to install the SRX this weekend.
Last fall I blew the paint off the hood of my BMW because I had the wrong tip in my power washer. I took the BMW in to have the hood repainted. My girlfriend usually drives the BMW and had to borrow a car from her parents because of the snow the lightning would be a hairy drive to her job 60 miles away.
So driving to work yesterday with no detector or jammer she got nailed for 80 in a 65.
Seems as though a lot of people I know are getting speeding tickets lately.

Carguy! said:
Maybe it is me, but I don't think getting out of tickets should have anything to do with donating to 11-99.

I hope you are not donating to a worthwhile organization just to get out of tickets. I hope the money gets used well, and it goes to the family of officers that are lost doing their job.

If an officer sees the donation and chooses to let you off with a warning I don't see a problem with that either.:)

I have to agree with that comment.
To be fair, this contribution to the California Highway Patrol, in addition to the good feeling after contributing to a most worthy cause, avoiding tickets was only a part of the justification process. Let's be clear here, if I am honest with myself, the only thing I was REALLY trying to avoid were TAXES. And until they chage the rules, there isn't limit on charitable contributions. One also receives a few trinkets identifying you as one who has donated. I guess I will now like to think of it as a "get out of jail free" card. I am positive that it won't do a thing if I am being a jacka$$, but it may tip the scale . . . and I need all the help I can get! Hope this clears that up.

Kevin

You work too hard!.... 11:00PM at night sucks.

Did you just get one flash (1 LED on the strength signal?) Or was it a constanct Brap?

Not sure if the officer would have been as nice if you had your old exhaust on the car :D

Glad things came out OK. I am sure your heart was in your throat the whole time. I HATE that feeling!

Jeff

nsxtasy said:
What is the CHP 11-99 Foundation?

The CHP 11-99 Foundation was founded in 1981 by Bob Weinberg as a charitable non-profit organization. This Foundation was created to provide benefits to California Highway Patrol employees and their families. This financial need generally arises due to a prolonged illness or death.

ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP

Cost: $500 initial fee; $300 annual renewal - billed in December [/B]
There is also a lifetime membership: $1800.00 + $1200.00 for a spouse.

NetViper said:
That is pretty steep to avoid one ticket.
Not when you consider that if your insurance goes up you will be paying for the ticket above and beyond the the cost of the membership. Beside, not every CHP will give you a "warning" for traffic violations.

11-99 Plate frame.....

My sister and her fiance just became members of the 11-99 Foundation.
As I recall, the only way to get the license plate frame is to become a life member for $1800 and $1200 for the spouse ( as was mentioned before).
I have several CHP officers who are patients of mine, and when I have asked them if the license frame makes a difference in getting a ticket or warning, they haven't really given me a clear answer, probably for very understandable reasons.
I will take khiroshima's experience as good proof that it does indeed make a difference.

Joel 91 Black/Ivory

Re: 11-99 Plate frame.....

JSMDMD said:
As I recall, the only way to get the license plate frame is to become a life member for $1800
Joel 91 Black/Ivory

Joel,

Once you become a member, a single plate frame is part of the package, but like many, I needed more than one. Additional frames can be purchased from 11-99 for an additional $50 a piece, WITH a signed consent form that states the frames will only be used on your owned cars . . .

I imagine however, if you join annually and your status has "expired" (ie 12 months later), they may not allow you to purchase additional frames until returning to "good standing". This is just speculation though . . .

Jeffrey,

My first warning was only a single "brap" (again K band, not Ka) and then the V1 went silent . . . Uh yeah, until it went 100% and I could see the whites of the officer's teeth.

Kevin

Re: Re: 11-99 Plate frame.....

khiroshima said:
Additional frames can be purchased from 11-99 for an additional $50 a piece, WITH a signed consent form that states the frames will only be used on your owned cars . . .

Why would a person have to sign a form regarding where the frame is used? Is there any benefit from displaying the frame, aside from the unspoken sympathy of officers?

This is a frameup

Autophile said:
Is there any benefit from displaying the frame, aside from the unspoken sympathy of officers?

It keeps the edge of your license plate from getting bent. :D

This is the first I've heard about having to sign a form, but I got "lifetime member" frames for all my cars a few years ago. Less than $50 each, too. Anyway, the purpose of the form is obvious: they don't want non-members masquerading as members. If you get stopped and show your membership card, the Chippie will know that you are not an imposter.

One other benefit of membership. There just might be an amazing party in your future. In 2000 (I think) they had a summer dinner at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA. It was over $100 per person, but it was absolutely awesome. Think NSXPO banquet squared. Nothing much but golf/dinner events since then, but if you're a golfer those are nice too.

Bottom line: if giving to this charity makes you feel good, do it. Otherwise give to something else. Don't expect a get out of jail free card; just expect a friendly ear.

Re: This is a frameup

myf16 said:
It keeps the edge of your license plate from getting bent. :D

This is the first I've heard about having to sign a form, but I got "lifetime member" frames for all my cars a few years ago. Less than $50 each, too. Anyway, the purpose of the form is obvious: they don't want non-members masquerading as members. If you get stopped and show your membership card, the Chippie will know that you are not an imposter.

It works.... CHP...Garden Grove P.D....Huntington Beach P.D....just to name a few, there very aware of it and all were cool enough to let me off with a warning. I'd say 6 out of the last 9 times I've been pulled over. I fought the other three and won all but the one speeding up PCH in H.B. @ 128MPH. I recently went down to there corp. ofc and they've changed much of the way the give out plates. I was going to purchase 10 or so for X-mas gifts but they do require registration from the member for each car. I think the plates increased to from $20 to $50.

It doesn't work outside California...

Here, for most tickets, you can take a traffic safety school to keep the ticket off your record, for around $100. You don't have to go to court to have the ticket heard, and you can take the school in a couple hours on your computer at home.

Back