• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Best Alignment Shop In So Cal

I got a new set of tires two weeks ago (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A) and decided it would be best to get the car aligned. I didn’t want just any shop to align it, I wanted the best so I did some research here on prime and came up with a place called West End Alignment. I had never heard nor had I ever been to this place before, but a lot of prime members gave raving reviews about their quality of work. I live 100 miles away from their shop but figured if the quality of work is as good as everyone says, it will be worth the drive.

My appointment was for Friday morning and when I got there, Darin (the owner) was right on schedule. He got my car on the lift and was ready to work. Darin is so meticulous about his work he asked me if I would mind sitting in the car while he aligned it. He said because I was a big guy (I’m 6’3” 215 pounds) the weight of me in the car could actually throw the alignment off just a little and he wanted it perfect. He also went as far as checking my tire pressure to make sure each tire had the exact amount of pressure in them. While I was in the car, he kept a great conversation about cars going and always asked me if I was okay and needed anything.

When he was finished, he told me to take it for a test drive and then come back just to make sure everything was perfect. I did this and I have to say, he did the best alignment I have ever seen in my life. The car actually has a new, better feel to it! If you live in So Cal and are in need of an alignment, I HIGHLY recommend WEST END ALIGNMENT!

I am in no way affiliated with West End Alignment. I just believe that when a shop does a superb job and goes well beyond my expectations, they deserve some sort of praise.

West End Alignment
Address: 18008 S Vermont Ave, Gardena, CA 90248
Phone: (310) 808-9233

How much does an allignment run there?

SoCalDude said:
How much does an allignment run there?
and how much time in total did it take? gardena is nowhere near me and i'll need to get creative with my schedule.

thanks in advance and thanks for the feedback. i always find persnal experience stories like this very helpful.

The alignment cost $120 and took about 2 hours. The shop is only open Monday thru Friday and by appointment only.When I called to make my appointment, I had to wait two weeks because he was so busy. However, it was well worth the wait!!

Semnos_NSX said:
The alignment cost $120 and took about 2 hours. The shop is only open Monday thru Friday and by appointment only.When I called to make my appointment, I had to wait two weeks because he was so busy. However, it was well worth the wait!!
exactly the info. i was looking for.

thanks a ton.

No doubt, Darin at West End is the best in SoCal. I've been going to him since I've had my S2000. You won't find a better place to have your car aligned, corner balanced, or any suspension work your car might need.

I'll be getting a set of coilovers for my S2k and Darin will be doing the install, corner balance, and alignment.

I live in Valencia (Magic Mountain) and it's a bit of a drive for me but I won't go to anyone else. He is well worth the drive, the wait, and the money :smile:

So, what makes any given alignment shop better than another, assuming that the compared shops get the alignment to the same setting(s)? If the car comes off the rack with the alignment spec'd out right, then I'd say that convenience, price and speed are the factors, no?

Do good alignment shops do something special or have specs other than OEM?

J

The attention to details like asking what you use your car for (track/street only/combo), having you sit in the car during the alignment, letting you know what to expect w/ tire wear w/ the alignment settings, and even how willing they are to put it back on the rack for adjustments. Darin had me drive the car around the block and I noticed I did not center the steering wheel EXACTLY in the center but it was close. He INSISTED that I put the car back on the rack for an adjustment eventhough my car was a pain to get it on the rack (lowered/body kit etc.). You'll know the difference once you have been to West End Alignment.

Jeff

Racerxjling said:
The attention to details like asking what you use your car for (track/street only/combo), having you sit in the car during the alignment, letting you know what to expect w/ tire wear w/ the alignment settings, and even how willing they are to put it back on the rack for adjustments. Darin had me drive the car around the block and I noticed I did not center the steering wheel EXACTLY in the center but it was close. He INSISTED that I put the car back on the rack for an adjustment eventhough my car was a pain to get it on the rack (lowered/body kit etc.). You'll know the difference once you have been to West End Alignment.

Jeff

Oh so true. Once you take it West End, you won't go anywhere else.

02#154 said:
So, what makes any given alignment shop better than another, assuming that the compared shops get the alignment to the same setting(s)? If the car comes off the rack with the alignment spec'd out right, then I'd say that convenience, price and speed are the factors, no?

Do good alignment shops do something special or have specs other than OEM?

J

Good questions. I go to super getto shops to get mine done and the alignment always comes out very close to my requested specs. Part of the ground work is a call to the shop then a face to face conversation with the tech. If he/she isn't too receptive, I go to another shop.

Darin is definitly the man when it comes to wheel alignments for NSX's. I have refered two of my friends to him. They were please with their cars. If you decide to have your car serviced by Darin please feel free to visit the fire station next door. Hopefully I will be working that day and give you a tour or a coke.

Dexter

W said:
Good questions. I go to super getto shops to get mine done and the alignment always comes out very close to my requested specs. Part of the ground work is a call to the shop then a face to face conversation with the tech. If he/she isn't too receptive, I go to another shop.

"Very close" and exact is the difference between a "super getto shop" and West End Alignment.: wink:

Semnos_NSX said:
"Very close" and exact is the difference between a "super getto shop" and West End Alignment.: wink:

Just want I am thinking. No offense to anyone, but I like to have things related to the NSX EXACTLY the way I like or the way it should be. Not very close, or almost, or similar.

Also, DITTO on everything said above Darin, exact same experience I had, and from talking to him, you will learn alot, and he KNOWS his suspension.

Are you guys saying that you come in with alignment specs and this shop does them exactly as you specified, such as you ask for 1.6 degrees of negative camber up front and you get the car back with exactly that amount, not even a hundredth off? What happens when your desired specs can't be met due to suspension limitations? Do you get your money back in these cases? I'm not doubting that Darin runs a great shop but I haven't heard anything that would make me drive up to LA to get an alignment. Actually, I'm probably going to be doing my own alignments in the near future so I'll be the best person for me to get alignments from. :p :p :p

loomup said:
Darin is definitly the man when it comes to wheel alignments for NSX's. I have refered two of my friends to him. They were please with their cars. If you decide to have your car serviced by Darin please feel free to visit the fire station next door. Hopefully I will be working that day and give you a tour or a coke.

Dexter

What's up Dexter?

I'll be there on June 8th to get my S2k corner balanced and aligned. I'll take you up on your offer.

Simon

W said:
Are you guys saying that you come in with alignment specs and this shop does them exactly as you specified, such as you ask for 1.6 degrees of negative camber up front and you get the car back with exactly that amount, not even a hundredth off? What happens when your desired specs can't be met due to suspension limitations? Do you get your money back in these cases? I'm not doubting that Darin runs a great shop but I haven't heard anything that would make me drive up to LA to get an alignment. Actually, I'm probably going to be doing my own alignments in the near future so I'll be the best person for me to get alignments from. :p :p :p

West End will dial up your suspension exactly the way you wish, based on your driving style, where you drive (mostly streets, mostly highways, a little of both, or if it's just your track car). Variables that you may not even think of will be thought of and factored in by Darin.

I know how you feel about distance. You're quite a ways coming from San Diego, but don't you think it's worth a try, once? That's what I said and I'm happy I did it.

Simons2k said:
West End will dial up your suspension exactly the way you wish, based on your driving style, where you drive (mostly streets, mostly highways, a little of both, or if it's just your track car). Variables that you may not even think of will be thought of and factored in by Darin.

I know how you feel about distance. You're quite a ways coming from San Diego, but don't you think it's worth a try, once? That's what I said and I'm happy I did it.

I might be looking at doing 10+ alignments a year (up to 30). It's probably best I do them myself. :p

Like already mentioned, it sounds like Darin is the man.

What kind of equipment is he using? I think I remember reading he uses the "chalk and string method" which sounds old-fashioned. Then again, I don't know anything about this method.

Back