• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Car Doctor

I stopped by the Car Doctor in Falls Church, VA today for a very minor thing - to get a taillight bulb replaced. The warning light in the gauge cluster had been shining in my eyes for a few days and it was driving me CRAZY! It is like having something in your eye.

Charlie came out within one minute (literally) and installed a new bulb. Total cost was $1.66 for the bulb; he didn't charge me for the five minutes of labor. I felt bad getting off so cheap.

While I was there I noticed a red NSX, lowered, oversized brakes, racing steering wheel, comptech supercharger. Charlie said he was pulling the engine for some unspecified work to increase performance.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to once again recommend The Car Doctor. The services is always great and Charlie is an NSX expert. I didn't add very much to the bottom line today, but I will be sure to go back the next time I need any work done.

I stopped by the Car Doctor in Falls Church, VA today for a very minor thing - to get a taillight bulb replaced. The warning light in the gauge cluster had been shining in my eyes for a few days and it was driving me CRAZY! It is like having something in your eye.

Charlie came out within one minute (literally) and installed a new bulb. Total cost was $1.66 for the bulb; he didn't charge me for the five minutes of labor. I felt bad getting off so cheap.

While I was there I noticed a red NSX, lowered, oversized brakes, racing steering wheel, comptech supercharger. Charlie said he was pulling the engine for some unspecified work to increase performance.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to once again recommend The Car Doctor. The services is always great and Charlie is an NSX expert. I didn't add very much to the bottom line today, but I will be sure to go back the next time I need any work done.

Charlie is a good guy. that red nsx is Brian's nsx (SPRCHGDNSX). I will be getting some work done on my car next week.

Bryan

SWEET :biggrin:

AK,

Unfortunately, I will not have it back in time for the meet. It is being picked up from The Car Doctor on Wed....not sure when I will get it back yet. Having a low compression build done to it (along with a couple of other little things). How is your car doing....any more mods to it lately? :smile:

Brian

AK,

Unfortunately, I will not have it back in time for the meet. It is being picked up from The Car Doctor on Wed....not sure when I will get it back yet. Having a low compression build done to it (along with a couple of other little things). How is your car doing....any more mods to it lately? :smile:

Brian

car is good but no mods these days. Too bad about your engine but it'll only get better ;) You should come by the meet anyways!

akio

Just had my timing belt and water pump replaced this weekend at the Car Doctor . Charlie is by far the nicest and most honest guy you'd ever want to leave your car with

Dropped my car off at the Car Doctor today to have three things looked at:

1. Passenger window stuck in up position. (No power getting to that side, suspect main [driver's side] power window switch.)
2. Heater fan not blowing. (Climate control unit was recently rebuilt, suspect fan motor filled with debris from wearing electrical brushes.)
3. Replace one or more bulbs in the taillights. (Strongly suspect burnt out bulb or bulbs in taillights:wink:)

Charlie will be troubleshooting the car today - they said I should be able to pick it up this evening. They may have to order some parts, so I may have to drop it off a second time for the actual repairs. Will post update after the troubleshooting is done.

Last edited:
Okay, just picked the car up. Here was the outcome:

1. Passenger window stuck in up position. Charlie troubleshooted (troubleshot?) the power windows. The passenger side was working fine when it was getting power. It appears that the problem is the result of a hack job on the window wiring that was done when an aftermarket alarm system (with window roll-down feature) was installed and removed from the car prior to me owning it. Ordered driver's side power window switch ($259.10) which Charlie recommended replacing concurrent with straightening out the wiring.

2. Heater fan not blowing. (Climate control unit was recently rebuilt). One of the two relays was burnt up, replaced relay ($40.97, in stock, see photo of old relay at bottom, shows evidence of melting on left side) and everything now works fine. (I have heat!)

3. Replace one or more bulbs in the taillights. One bulb burnt out, replaced ($2). Evidence of water in trunk and moisture in both taillights. Ordered taillight gaskets ($106.36 for four), to be installed when they arrive. Should take care of the wet trunk. Will try clear silicone sealer to seal up top seam in taillights to prevent moisture from recurring inside the taillights themselves.

Total bill = $736.10 so far. This is an absolute bargain and reflects mostly ($408.43, or 55%) in parts costs. The bill would have been double or triple at the dealer, no exaggeration. The great thing about the Car Doctor is that Charlie is usually the only person who works on the car, and he knows the car inside and out. He is "old school" in that he troubleshoots the problem and then decides what to repair, instead of taking the shotgun approach and replacing components (parts-swapping) until the problem is eventually found.

I highly recommend the Car Doctor at 7714 Lee Highway, Falls Church, Virginia, for NSX service. Phone: (703) 560-8870

Attachments

• Heater Fan Relay.jpg
    Heater Fan Relay.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
This is good to hear theres someone like this just an hour or two up the road.
My local acura dealer is good, but if I ever need anything more involved, I'll have to hit this place up.

Done!

The Car Doctor installed the driver's side power window switch and taillight gaskets today, plus did a Mobil 1 oil change. Total cost today 297.75, reflecting supplies cost of $49, labor $246.5, and tax of $2.25.

Grand Total for repairing blower fan, fixing passenger side window problem, replacing leaking taillight gaskets, and an oil change...$1033.85.

This is an absolute bargain for first-rate work. 44% of the total cost was for parts or supplies.

Reading all these posts about Charlie pretty much has be convinced that's where I should take the car when needed. Unfortunately it's two hours away from me but that's life. My question is, is Charlie open to people just stopping buy to meet him and establish a rapport? I don't want to be a pest and take away his valuable time but would like to stop in and introduce myself before I actually need work so that I'll have an idea of who he is. Good or bad idea?

Reading all these posts about Charlie pretty much has be convinced that's where I should take the car when needed. Unfortunately it's two hours away from me but that's life. My question is, is Charlie open to people just stopping buy to meet him and establish a rapport? I don't want to be a pest and take away his valuable time but would like to stop in and introduce myself before I actually need work so that I'll have an idea of who he is. Good or bad idea?

Stopping by would be a nice gesture but I really don't think it would be necessary. Charlie seems fairly busy; he is also involved with racing so that takes up a large portion of his time. My recommendation would be to just call for an appointment. If you are making an NSX appointment, the clerk who answers the phone will normally want to coordinate an NSX visit with Charlie personally, as opposed to just the clerk writing in an appointment himself. Depending on the task to be performed, Charlie may call you to discuss what needs to be done and agree on a plan of attack. This makes scheduling a tight (full day or two-day) visit relatively easy to accomplish. So if you are coming from out of town, you can make necessary reservations to make your visit flow as smoothly and tightly as possible.

There is an Enterprise Car Rental office about a mile from the Car Doctor if you need a rental. As Falls Church is a "close-in" DC suburb, there are also many other car rental options as well as hotels in the surrounding area.

That is my review on Google Maps.

Last edited:
I agree that you don't need to meet Charlie first before bringing him your NSX. If you happen to be in the area or on your way through, I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with you, but as previsously stated by jett, it's not necessary.

Looks like I need my thermostat replaced. Planning another trip to the Car Doctor. It is a pleasure to have your car serviced by an expert.:smile:

I have known Charlie for years. Him and the guys at the shop do exceptional work A+ for cardoctor

Picked the car up at the Car Doctor today. :smile: I had the thermostat replaced with oem and the driver's side window regulator removed, to be sent out for a rebuild. Also replaced front turn signal lenses (both mine had star cracks from rocks) and bulbs, synthetic oil change, replaced air filter, and had them inspect the brakes and hoses. Once again, fantastic service from the Car Doctor!

There was a beautiful black NSX there, a low-mileage LHD 1991 manual with Honda badges throughout. No license plates - recently purchased. Imported?

Last edited:
What a blessing: new owner who works in Falls Church. Need a good and reasonable meachanic and am sold. Will call in the morning to get the big jobs scheduled and will report back.
Thanks for all of the great comments. Hope to add mine soon.
Michael
Black/Ivory 91

I had my car at the Car Doctor this past Friday. Charlie examined the CV boots and declared them to be in good shape, no surgery required. Had some minor repairs done while I was there and picked up the car in the afternoon. Left satisfied as always.:smile:

Back