• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Creator of the NSX

In time, my friend! In retrospect, I should have taken a piece of the car to Japan, like a sunvisor or small trim piece to have it signed, then reinstalled it when I got back from Japan. :)

ChrisK said:
Hey Ben, don't you have a special autographed picture for me:D I'm getting jelous now. I want my special one of a kind picture;) Hehehehehe.

I didn't mean they could replicate the McLaren F1. But they could learn a lot from it. The MF1 was made in '95.

cmb said:
not likely or realizable at all.

even at a MILLION DOLLARS, the MCLAREN F1 is a relative bargain!! for the amount of gold, and especially MAN HOURS, i'm surprised they turn any profit at all!!

-SNIP-

Engine act as stressed member - Ferrari F50

Unlike McLaren F1, Ferrari F50's rear suspensions are directly bonded to the engine / gearbox assembly. This means the engine becomes the stressed member which supports the load from rear axle. Then, the whole engine / gearbox / rear suspensions structure is bonded into the carbon fiber chassis through light alloy. This is a first for a road car.

Advantage: lighter still.

Disadvantage: engine's vibration directly transfers to the body and cockpit.

In 1963, a revolutionary chassis structure appeared in Formula One, that is, the championship-winning Lotus 25. Once again, that was innovated by Colin Chapman. Chapman used the engine / gearbox as mounting points for rear suspensions in order to reduce the width of his car as well as to reduce weight. In particular, reduced width led to lower aerodynamic drag. Of course, the engine / chassis must be made stiffer to cope with the additional stressed from rear axle. Today, F1 cars still use this basic structure.

Characteristics of carbon-fiber monocoque:

Advantage: The lightest and stiffest chassis.

Disadvantage: By far the most expensive.

Who use it ?
McLaren F1, Bugatti EB110SS, Ferrari F50.

New NSX

Ok boys, lets call a spade a spade - how many of us have a relatively new NSX, 3 years old or less? Fom the looks of things, not many!!! So if Honda is going to make a super-car ( and it desperately needs to do so) who is going to support it? What honda needs to do is either make another semi-affordable mid 80K sporta car that will not be able to keep up with the competition = no sales, or truly make a super-car, which in this day and age = 110K+. I opt for the 110K+, but for that kind of money it had better perform. A mediocre 80K car, well i'd rather get two Z06s! Hopefully, Honda will take this antiquated NSX and truly create what this car used to be - one of the best sports cars on the road - i need a reason to get rid of my 996TT, and the current NSX is no reason at all!!!!

just my .02

Dr. Gums

I've got an 03 NSX as do, according to Ken's figures, about another 220 people or so which is a pretty decent number for NSX sales.

When I got the 03, somehow the idea of buying two Z06's instead didnt really appeal to me.

I know a lot of people shoot down the less quantifiable aspects of car "value" like exclusivity, cachet and exotic look and materials, but in the $80+k range, that's what you're really buying.

The Vette could be as quick as a McLaren F1 and I still would have no interest in it? Why, because the *overall* experience is substandard. At the end of the day, you don't spend THAT much time rocketing to 60.

It's not a question of using a car to "define yourself" as some say, it's more that when you can afford a certain price point, you spoil yourself - you buy a "dream car". A Corvette is a bit of a "dream car" but when you finally get one (and I did in 2000), you realize that the fact that there are 100,000 of them on the road does sort of sour it.

Honda needs to keep the NSX semi exotic. It doesn't matter that it's made by Honda if people look at it and think Ferrari like they did with the original NSX.

$90-$120k with superior handling and build quality, exotic look, and Z06 level performance would be a slam dunk for Honda, if you ask me.

Isn't it silly to slam the NSX and then talk about your 996TT??? You can get THREE Z06s for the price of that TT and each and every one of them are almost guaranteed to spank it on the track!

Actually, you said 996TT and not GT2... So make that "almost guaranteed" a "money in the bank DEFINITE guarantee". The Z06 dominates the regular 996TT on the track at 1/3 the price.

Re: Next Generation

Edit: I didn't notice all the other discussion on this subject!

drmanny3 said:
I did comment that I did not like the corvette because it was so common in additional to the poor fit and finish. They seemed to agree. I believe they will only consider a car that is within the definition of exotic. Honda is that type of organization.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're just asking to get flamed for that one. The Z06 destroys the NSX on the track. It handles better, has more power, and has better brakes. As far as poor fit and finish, I think you're insane. You want an exotic experience; drive a Z06 on a dark winding country road at night with all the interior lights off except the heads up display. That's something I've never been able to recreate in any other car, EVER. It really isn't cool to attack the Corvette, especially when you look at the interior of an NSX, it's no better. I could go on, but I think I'll leave it at this. If I could have two sports cars, the other one would be a Z06.

Hmm, have you actually been in a Z06 on the track? :confused: Sounds like not, as your description does not describe a stock Z06. Certainly, it'll pull away in a straight line, but the NSX will always catch it in the corners and under braking, assuming an equivalent driver.

Fit and Finish? have you noticed the snaps in a vette interior? Have you noticed how you slide around in the vette seat under load?The HUD is trick, but the rest of the cockpit is quite domestic.

Re: New NSX

Dr. Gums said:
Ok boys, lets call a spade a spade - how many of us have a cars on the road - i need a reason to get rid of my 996TT, and the current NSX is no reason at all!!!!

Can't you modify your current NSX to catch up to a 996TT or Z06? There is a 1,000+ horsepower NSX being worked on right now at a local shop. I don't know how much the owner is spending, but I'm sure it's under $40,000. You'll still be in the NSX less than a 996TT and have TWICE the horsepower.

Soichiro said:

1. How about YOU do some homework on the F1. McLaren spent 300 million dollars developing it and hoped to sell 600 cars at a million bucks apiece. They wound up selling 160 cars. Can you spell multi-million dollar business loss?

Only 160? I wonder if that car was called a Ferrari F1, maybe they would have done better? What do you guys/gals think?

Re: Re: New NSX

pko5 said:
Can't you modify your current NSX to catch up to a 996TT or Z06? There is a 1,000+ horsepower NSX being worked on right now at a local shop. I don't know how much the owner is spending, but I'm sure it's under $40,000. You'll still be in the NSX less than a 996TT and have TWICE the horsepower.

Are you sure about this 1000 hp NSX? It seems very very strange, the maximum I heard is 500 until now... and double it does not seem something that can be done. Even less for 40k... :confused:

pko5 said:
Only 160? I wonder if that car was called a Ferrari F1, maybe they would have done better? What do you guys/gals think?

That is sure, they have no problem selling 399 Enzo at that price. They could probably sell 500-600 of them from what some internal source said last year (but they faked a "real request demand" of 349, then raised to 399, in order to not piss off VIP customers that were ready to pay a lot more for it) to keep it really exotic.

Afterall the F70 is only 6-7 years away... :p ;)

Re: Re: Re: New NSX

gheba_nsx said:
Are you sure about this 1000 hp NSX? It seems very very strange, the maximum I heard is 500 until now... and double it does not seem something that can be done. Even less for 40k... :confused:

Having a goal of 1,000 HP and actually achieving it is another thing. From what I hear, the owner wants to be the FIRST 1,000 hp NSX. It's going to be interesting to see if it's actually possible.

Back