• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"The Crocodile Hunter" Killed

I just read it on the internet news too. What a big loss to the wild life conservation community. I believe we all benefitted from his show. Young and old.:frown: :frown:

Hugh said:
Anyone here ever been to Stingray City, Grand Cayman?

Yep, I went diving there in the 80's.

I think the Croc Hunter's death is truly a sad event. He was so passionate about working with reptiles and educating people around the world. RIP.

RIP :frown: I loved watching those animal shows because of him. Condolences to his family.

Hugh said:

Went there in 2003. What an UNBELIEVABLE experience. At first it seems kinda scary but once you get in the water and hold/touch them, it is an unbelievable experience.

Sad to see him go.

Hugh said:

Me too, on my honeymoon in 1994. Those stingray were so tame - I guess they have been fed for so long that they know the routine. I have some great pics of my wife holding one up above her head (with a little help from the guide) as it shoots water towards the camera.

Good all around guy and a sad loss. His wife and him wife run a zoo which is their way to "Make a Living" all other income(movies, promotions and TV) goes directly to animal conservation.

RIP

I recently read about this news report at the yahoo web page, and I am shocked. This is truly saddened, and I'll never forget about his documentary episode on rattlesnakes. I've never seen someone so brave to be close to one. Peace and prayer to him and his family. He lies in the hands of God now, where there is nothing that defiles happiness in Heaven. Where there will be no more pain and no more suffering.

I was caught off guard by this news too, but, as sad as it is, he at least died doing what he obviously loved doing.

He is the man who had inspired millions all over the world to love nature. He changed traditional mindsets from fear to love for wildlife. I mean, who else could animals such as snakes and crocodiles seems sooooo lovable. And he delivers this message in such a unique, wonderful way. Always imitated, never equalled.

His death is a terrible loss. May his message to the world live forever.

Sad to hear of his death:frown: I am a Master Scuba Diver and have dove around the world with sharks, rays, barracuda, and other potentially deadly critters. I was in Curacao, and we found a 6' stingray laying on the sand, and we were all diving over and around it, taking pictures and admiring it. It never moved. The one that did in Steve felt theatened and was just protecting itself and just hit him right in his heart, othewise he would have easily survived the sting, painful but not deadly. He did some crazy shit with animals, I am surprised one of the crocs did not get him, very ironic some basically tame critter like a stingray did it. Loved watching him. We all have out time. Live it up, Love it up.

Hugh said:
Stop using distilled water in your bong. It's "hungry" water and it's sucking out your brain cells. :)

I KNEW IT!!!

Here's a shot of my wife and I at Stingray City. Thinking about taking that barb in the chest might have changed my mind about holding one of these creatures. Overall, my favorite Caribbean excursions!

Attachments

• Stingray City.jpg
    Stingray City.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SO7.18.A41.JPG
    SO7.18.A41.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 76
I just that website with PETA's comments, "'PETA’s Dan Mathews tells The Scoop. “He made a career out of antagonizing frightened wild animals, which is a very dangerous message to send to kids.”

Antagonising? ANTAGONISING??? His message to kids is not 'ANTAGONISE WILD ANIMALS'.... it's rather 'LOVE wild animals'... Booo to Dan Mathews, whoever he is... or think he is

Soichiro said:
Animals 1
People Who Scare the Crap out of Deadly Creatures 0

That's why absolutely everyone in the conservation and animal world praised and loved him...

He has single-handedly done more for conservation than almost anyone in the animal world, partucularly anyone on TV.

There's really no way to handle wild animals without antagonizing them to some degree. But antagonizing doesn't mean unethical. Humans get antagonized every day. I don't like waiting in line or stoplights.:rolleyes: Is it the end of the world if a snake can't go anywhere for 2 minutes while he talks about how beautiful it is? He was an expert in handling wild animals and knew exactly what to do and how to do it. In the water he was out of his element, it's been said. On land maybe no one in the world was more capable of handling such animals successfully.

I have never seen any instance of unethical treatment by Steve Irwin. PETA is way off base and should mind it's business. They should care so much more about the stingrays mutilated after his death than anything Steve Irwin ever did.

Back