• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The GTR is'nt that quick what Nissan claims

Your suggestion that he sandbagged the Nissan is a pretty bold statement. If time after time starts coming out showing the GT-R in the sub-7:40s he's going to have some explaining to do.

I would think the driver would have a little more pride than that. That would be outrageously unprofessional behavior. Possible, but highly unlikely.

So your statement that Nissan fudged their track times is any less bold?

Do you think they needed a "ringer" to pull off that time? It seems like the GT-R has bested all sorts of other cars in all the magazines on all sorts of tracks. I have yet to see any of the 911's post better times when in comparison.

Just pick one up at your local store. (magazine or car. :) )

Last edited:

Do you think they needed a "ringer" to pull off that time? It seems like the GT-R has bested all sorts of other cars in all the magazines on all sorts of tracks. I have yet to see any of the 911's post better times when in comparison.

M3 beat the GTR in one of them:wink::biggrin:

I have heard that Corvette engineers have said that the GTR Could not be as quick as claimed.

I never heard that anywhere, but I think several people are skeptic about that time for the GTR. I haven't heard too many skeptics on the ZR1.

I never suggested anyone fudged anything...:confused:

What I am suggesting is that there is a reasonable explanation for the poor time. The two theories that the times put up by all the tested GT-Rs are factory ringers or that the Porsche tester deliberately underdrove the GT-R are both pretty far-fetched. Possible but highly unlikely.

I would not put it past Nissan to send out ringers but there has been a fairly large body of test results from around the world and all of it seems to be consistent meaning every single GT-R ever tested would have to be a ringer and that means there are no ringers.

As far as the driver sandbagging I seriously doubt he would put his reputation on the line in such a way. If it turns out that all GT-Rs are as fast as they appear and that everyone and their grandmother can run a better time with the GT-R than he did he'll have quite a bit of explaining to do.

A separate explanation is the most likely, whether it be tires or something else. But that time is way out of line based on just about every other piece of information I've read or seen.

I wonder if the Porsche driver did not know how to activate the "R" mode on the VDC, or maybe he turned VDC completely off thinking he was faster without it (without testing both to compare). That seems just as plausible as anything.

The GT-R is faster, it is proven by so many magazines and TV shows.
Porsche is just trying to be an A$$ because they got beaten by the GT-R.

The GT-R is faster, it is proven by so many magazines and TV shows.
Porsche is just trying to be an A$$ because they got beaten by the GT-R.

Well, it's undeniable that the tests so far have the GT-R faster but the controversy is whether or not every GT-R sent out for testing has been a ringer. If that's the case then all the USA GT-Rs would be slower and the Porsche test in the OP would be consistent with a tuned-down car.

But I just think there's another reason for the slow time. I don't think that test is indicative of the GT-Rs performance. The preponderance of the evidence is that the GT-R really is as fast as it seems.

I wonder if the Porsche driver did not know how to activate the "R" mode on the VDC, or maybe he turned VDC completely off thinking he was faster without it (without testing both to compare). That seems just as plausible as anything.
He didn't want to otherwise it would void the warranty :wink:

The bottom line is:

It doesn't matter what Nissan claim the car can do, what matters is if the owners who spend the money get to enjoy what Nissan claim it can do. It's like saying you married a super model but you don't get to bang her.

In my opinion, it is truly a POS. I never thought Nissan will take Ferrari's philosophy from the pre 1980's approach.

I was interested in one, but I didn't think it will be that bad.

I don't really see how not being able to launch it exactly how you want makes it a POS. False advertising or a let down to some degree, sure. How many people launch their NSX's regularly? 1-3% maybe? Ferrari's? 1%? I think this whole thing is overblown by a factor of 10.

I don't really see how not being able to launch it exactly how you want makes it a POS. False advertising or a let down to some degree, sure. How many people launch their NSX's regularly? 1-3% maybe? Ferrari's? 1%? I think this whole thing is overblown by a factor of 10.

This is as simple as 1-2-3.

If Nissan Claim that the car can do 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds, that is a selling feature. They even gave the option of turning on the launch control so you can achieve that number. BUT WAIT, if you do that, they wouldn't cover the warrantee on the tranny because you like to have some fun with the car. BUT WAIT AGAIN, if you don't get to use the launch control, you don't get to achieve that number. Therefore, you just spend top dollar for a car that supposed to achieve the numbers, but you can't do it because you're afraid the tranny will die on you. No thanks, I'll take a clean 100k miles NSX, slap a CTSC on it, and I'll drive around the GTR for twice the price.

Also, we're not talking about high mileage car here, we're talking about a new car with a busted tranny short out of the show room.

If Honda built a car with that kind of reliability, European and pro domestic car publication will fry the s..t out of it.

The key is design issue related to the performance, not manufacturing to wrong spec. If Nissan designed it that way, I can wait to see the complaints when the Spec V comes out.

Last edited:
nice video.

come on, they really spent their effort to build it. who doesn't make mistake. NSX have snap ring issue and stupid slow ass window. nothing can be exactly perfect.
Nissan offering something that compete 911 turbo. dont be biased.

Last edited:
Here is a 47min long documentary on the GT-R by National Geographic. Grab some popcorn. This is great for the haters and lovers to view.
http://www.streetdrift.net/2008/10/national-geographic-video-nissan-gt-r.html

Thank you for that video. It was very enjoyable to watch as they captured the passion that went into developing such a monster.

I hope Nissan can at least be willing to replace transmissions at their costs to build them in the short time to come (which I highly doubt will total to even 1/5th the price of the 20k they're asking).

I hope Nissan can at least be willing to replace transmissions at their costs to build them in the short time to come (which I highly doubt will total to even 1/5th the price of the 20k they're asking).

This can be an easy fix. Get rid of the peddle shift, but they will loose the acceleration time. Perhaps in the Spec V.

If Nissan Claim that the car can do 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds, that is a selling feature. They even gave the option of turning on the launch control so you can achieve that number. BUT WAIT, if you do that, they wouldn't cover the warrantee on the tranny because you like to have some fun with the car. BUT WAIT AGAIN, if you don't get to use the launch control, you don't get to achieve that number. Therefore, you just spend top dollar for a car that supposed to achieve the numbers, but you can't do it because you're afraid the tranny will die on you. No thanks, I'll take a clean 100k miles NSX, slap a CTSC on it, and I'll drive around the GTR for twice the price.

Also, we're not talking about high mileage car here, we're talking about a new car with a busted tranny short out of the show room.

If Honda built a car with that kind of reliability, European and pro domestic car publication will fry the s..t out of it.

The key is design issue related to the performance, not manufacturing to wrong spec. If Nissan designed it that way, I can wait to see the complaints when the Spec V comes out.

Had they provided a knob shifter, clutch pedal and only 6 gears, they wouldn't have this issue. Many more people would also buy the 6MT version. Also, they could even jack up the msrp by 5k-10k by including a carbon/carbon clutch for the 6mt version. Problem solved, leave the automatic shifting for the fat, lazy people who just want to own a "fast" car, but really they just cruise it around town for looks. No one that is buying the GTR is going to be competing for millions of dollars, so they don't need those several hundreds of a second saved for each shift. Nissan, wise up and offer a 6MT for the VSpec or VSpec II edition. It may also help to reduce some extra weight.

This can be an easy fix. Get rid of the peddle shift, but they will loose the acceleration time. Perhaps in the Spec V.

That is something I believe all GTR fans want to see but that still won't solve the problem of the current GTR owners. Everyone will fear the 20k button (or should I say setting).

It should be noted that so far there seems to be only one documented GTR transmission failure worldwide. I mean it's not like the corvettes with the peeling roof, where there were dozens of reports of failures in a very short time.

Considering it is a 500+hp AWD automatic transmission, I don't think it's fair to say the car is a POS.

Time will tell.

The extreme reclassification of the car from "9.9/10" performance wise to "POS" still doesn't make sense to me. So if it goes 3.9 instead of 3.4 the car is worthless? Power, handling, aero's, everything else the same but the 0-60 goes from "the fastest" to "one of the fastest" and the car is a "POS"? Otherwise performance isn't effected as far as we know. The transmission might last 150k miles if it it isn't launched in that particular matter. And it's not paying top dollar, not even close. Like I said, how often does the average sports car owner full out REDLINE clutch drop launch their car? This issue is still way over blown IMO, but like you I hope this encouranges them to get a proper 6spd in there.

The only reason this discussion even exists is because people want to take down goliath and they have been searching for a weakness as soon as this car was being considered for sale here. One transmission issue and the internet is flooded with revived GT-R haters (not you vance, just in general).

Last edited:
. No thanks, I'll take a clean 100k miles NSX, slap a CTSC on it, and I'll drive around the GTR for twice the price.

What do you mean you will be able to drive around the GTR for twice the price? The GTR will be faster than a CTSC around a racetrack. Take the latest R&T. The SPOON NSX-R GT turbo -- the ultimate NSX - was slower around the track than a stock GTR. Stock GTR- 1:26, Spoon NSX 1:31.

Maybe in a straight line you will keep up - it will be close, but who buys a NSX to drag race?

Last edited:
If the GTR was made by Honda instead of Nissan,

I wonder if the criticism about the car would drop within this community

Back