• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The importance of a college degree.

im very fortunate to make a great living. There are people who do what i do without a college degree (sales).

There are, and always have been im convinced, more opportunities available to me because of my college education. I didnt go to a super prestigious college, but i did learn invaluable communication and critical thinking skills during my college education.

to each their own, but Ken is right on with the stats.

regarding a company that would avoid college educated applicants as a cost cutting measure, i think college educated applicants would be well advised to avoid that company.

F*ck collage . If you are smart you do not need it. Going to school to learn is one thing but if all you want is to ake money school will not make you money.

A lot of employers view the degree as an indication that you had the determination to complete something which can be very difficult.

I've been working as a software developer for 12 years now and have a degree in CS and Math. I have rarely seen a good sefl taught developer. The ones I have seen are usually very intelligent and have the ability to learn well on their own. They also quite often do a lot of programming in their spare time.

I've seen a lot of people that don't think they need a degree in CS to do decent software development. Since they've not done a regiment of CS related classes often they don't realize what they do not know. The employee with a CS degree has done quite a bit of development in school and has done such things as written compilers, complex database apps, simulations, etc. Often the individual with a C# certification knows very little about software development on any scale.

What I also find amuzing is my boss. He has no degree but you can see it eats at him every single day. He'll often comment out loud after achieving something that "I don't even have a degree!". I always chuckly inside when hearing that.

When you're 20 it's easy to rationalize not going to school. I had a blast in school and learned quite a bit as well. A lot of people go to school later in life (my brother went at 35) because they get to a point where they realize they want to have more then a high school education and/or want to have a career in a certain field. All jobs will vary to some degree as to whether a degree is required or not. I don't think there's many jobs that would discount anyone because they did have a degree. If they do I'm sure it would be nothing I'm interested in doing anyway.

NSX-Stalker

in the silicon valley...especially high-tech, a degree is definitely a plus when it comes to competition. with a slow economy, there are many more applicants than jobs available so a degree would be necessary to get you in the waiting list.

a bachelor degree is so common that most people seek higher education just to remain competitive. furthermore, if you want to move up to management, an advanced degree is definitely a plus.

If you're in the position to be hiring people, you should already know how to do it. What's that....no experience hiring people? Then now you know how your educated candidate feels :)

<--- New avatar just for this thread :p

In the design fields, you need to be educated to produces good designs and experience to get the job done right. So I guess it all depend on what field you are in.

I went to college to prepare myself for a profession I like and not there to learn how to make big $.

And for all the good friends I made and the parties I got wasted at ;)

btw, ASU rox :D

Back