• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The new Bridgestone RE-71R tires.

Last edited:
Let's hope they have some NSX friendly front sizes!

Let's hope they have some NSX friendly front sizes!

On the announcement page, they list 215/40R17, 215/45R16, and 205/50R15. Very considerate of them.

edit: looks like the 17" size is scheduled for April release.
edit2: this page shows a treadwear rating of 200, it true, that would make sense for solo.

Last edited:
Time for a new set of tires, I am considering RE-11 or RE-11A? I love my last set of RE-11 before I sold my wheels with them. Are the RE-71 a successor of the RE-11?

Cost is a big part of my decision, so I might just stick with RE-11 since RE-71 are new.

Time for a new set of tires, I am considering RE-11 or RE-11A?
Both the RE-11 and RE-11A are excellent tires. But you have to check to see which one is available in your sizes. The RE-11 is a good choice for NSXs with 16"/17" wheels, since it's available in 205/45-16 and 255/40-17, but isn't available in 215/40-17 for those with 17" front tires. The RE-11A is a good choice for NSXs with 15"/16" wheels, since it's available in 205/50-15 and 225/50-16, but isn't available in NSX-friendly sizes for larger wheels.

There are numerous other excellent supersticky "extreme performance" tires on the market, notably the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, both of which are excellent choices for those with 17"/17" and 17"/18" wheels.

Are the RE-71 a successor of the RE-11?
Both are "extreme performance" tires. But I suspect they may keep the RE-11 and/or RE-11A on the market even after the rollout of the RE-71R. Note also how different the tread pattern of the RE-71R is from the RE-11.

RE-11:
bs_potenza_re11_ci2_l.jpg

RE-71R:
2014120802_01.jpg

Thanks nsxtasy,

Sometimes I wonder how the tires designer come up with the thread pattern. Perhaps a program that calculate and generate the patterns or the other way around (backward), example: trial and error.

RE-71R looks and sounds promising knowing they produces both my 02+ OEM wheel size, 215/40/17 & 255/40/17.

My current tires on the car are Star Spec Z1 with 25% thread left. However, they drive very dangerously in the rain (almost crash), and even in dry weather, it almost feels like the tires are very hard and dried. Maybe the tires are too old? maybe a little over 2 years old.

My current tires on the car are Star Spec Z1 with 25% thread left. However, they drive very dangerously in the rain (almost crash), and even in dry weather, it almost feels like the tires are very hard and dried. Maybe the tires are too old? maybe a little over 2 years old.
Nope, two years old is not very old. The big factor in wet-weather traction is tread depth, and yours don't have much of that left. Also, most of the "extreme performance" tires have relatively large tread blocks and few grooves, so even when new, they're not as good in the rain as other categories of tires. So those are two factors that can be degrading rain performance. As for the dry weather performance, tread depth can matter even though it is not as big a factor as it is in rain. Other than that, I have no explanation other than a suggestion to check your tire pressures if you haven't already done so.

Last edited:
TireRacks sizes for this particular tire and pre-order pricing.

I look forward to try these out.

Tirerack.com does not list 215/40R17. I hope that's a typo.

Off topic question: Is 18x9.5 +15 too wide for my stock quarter panels? (car is lowered)

Off topic question: Is 18x9.5 +15 too wide for my stock quarter panels? (car is lowered)
I assume these are rear wheels, correct? If so, 18x9.5 isn't overly wide, and is fine for the best 18" rear sizes of 255/35-18 or 265/35-18. But the offset number sounds low to me. (I don't know off the top of my head what offsets work best though.)

i had those and loved them,great grip and feel,along with decent ride and low noise for such a high performance tire.

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of these RE-11, the prices seem right, any input is welcome.

The RE-11 is an excellent tire. However, 225/45-17 is much much MUCH too big for the NSX front (I assume you're considering them for the front). They WILL rub. And they will probably cause problems for the TCS.

If you want to get some really sticky street tires for 17"/17" or 17"/18" wheels on an NSX, the RE-11 and RE-11A are not available in the sizes you need (215/40-17 front, and 255/40-17, 255/35-18, or 265/35-18 rear). Instead, you should be buying the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec or the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R.

The RE-11 is an excellent tire. However, 225/45-17 is much much MUCH too big for the NSX front (I assume you're considering them for the front). They WILL rub. And they will probably cause problems for the TCS.

If you want to get some really sticky street tires for 17"/17" or 17"/18" wheels on an NSX, the RE-11 and RE-11A are not available in the sizes you need (215/40-17 front, and 255/40-17, 255/35-18, or 265/35-18 rear). Instead, you should be buying the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec or the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R.

Its really too bad that the RE-s don't make our 17" size. I am afraid that the RE-71r is not going to have 215/40/17 since Tirerack don't list it.

nsxtacy, What tire pressures do you recommend for a 17/17 setup?
It's not 17/17 that matters but manufacturer recommended pressure given it's listed for particular vehicle. I run 35/37 on 02+ oem size setup. Before I had 40 in the rear and I could see they were over inflated as middle section wear was very high. This is for street use.

nsxtacy, What tire pressures do you recommend for a 17/17 setup?
I agree with solidol. Tire pressures aren't going to vary significantly with wheel/tire size. The pressures recommended by Acura for the NSX are 33 psi front, 40 rear, and that's a good place to start. Try those out. Then, if you want, you can make changes to that, based on ride comfort, handling, uneven treadwear, etc. It's generally best to make changes in 2 psi increments.

Note, pressures are generally measured cold (i.e. with the car having sat for a few hours out of the sun, and at about the same temperature as the normal temperature at which it will be driven). Racetrack driving is different, though; there, pressures are typically measured hot, at the end of a track session.

Its really too bad that the RE-s don't make our 17" size. I am afraid that the RE-71r is not going to have 215/40/17 since Tirerack don't list it.
Bridgestone list it but so far Tire Rack isn't importing it.....

Too bad the RE-71R wont be avail in OEM size, 215/40/17. Booo hoo.

I am in need of new rear tires but they dont sell the OEM tires anymore.
Will now need to replace all 4 tires.

I was thinking of the S2000 CR tires.
Potenza RE070. Are they any good?

Car we run 215/45/17 on 02+ front tires?

Also Tire Rack site recommends
YOKOHAMA
ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R
Are these any good?

Can anyone recommend a high performance tires similar or better than the Potienza RE010 that came with my 2004 NSX?
I know it only lasted for 5k miles and thread wear was 140... LOL.
I dont drive my car daily. I want it to handle well when i take it out for a drive.

Last edited:
Neovas are pretty awesome tires. Probably overkill for most people out there but if you like to push your car, I highly recommend it.

Back