• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX: Collectible?

I think the vintage car fraternity would most likely consider the various NSXs "collectible" by type, rather than by specific model year. For example, Japanese-spec NSX-Rs would almost certainly be collectible, as would mint-condition all-original NA1s. There could possibly be a market for Zanardis, but I'm not so sure about the more recent Japanese market Type S and Type S-Zeros. It'd be interesting to see what happens if there's truth to the rumours that Honda have axed plans to develop the HSC concept.

lowellhigh79 said:
Just bought a mint stock 91 Blk/Blk with low miles, minor add ons with all the stock parts present. I plan to drive it a little and keep it stock. I also have a 92 RED that is the most modified NSX in the country. It is registered but not very streetable.....

Did I read your signature correctly??? 1,000 bhp NSX???

Yes. That is the goal and it should be easily obtainable. The car has been down for 5YEARS, which is one reason I bought the 91. To put things in perspective, the two most recent one offs is a custom 3 carbon disc clutch (took 8 months), and a 300M drive shaft/ intermediate shaft (5 months and counting). Its amazing how slowly this industry works and you need to be real patient....The car made 325 rwhp in NA trim back in 1996.

to answer the question, imo the nsx will be collectible. I think the comment on the kids thing was some astute marketing insight.

when i had my nsx, the kids ALL knew what it was. Over 30yrs old, only afficionados had a clue.

I dont think anything Honda does or doesnt do with the platform will change this. The only thing Honda could do that might have a negative impact is to keep producing the nsx as is and discount future prices into the 40k$ range. That might over time increase the number of nsx's and devalue the platform to the point that it is marginally collectible. But you are more likely to get punched in the nose by a martian.

huckster said:
hey lowellhigh79, your blk/blk 91 didnt have a tubi exhaust on it, did it?

No

When I was researching NSX's before I bought my car, I came across an interesting article on the future of collectible cars. It was an interview with Craig Jackson of Barrett-Jackson Actions. He happened to make a comment on the NSX.

"I don't see any Japanese car becoming a collector's item except maybe the Acura NSX," Jackson says.

The entire article is at: http://www.winespectator.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1098,00.html

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm one of the very few owners here who likes the factory look of the NSX. I can never imagine modding it. I even put seat covers all over those factory leather seats to minimize wear and tear. All my car always look perfect as long as I own them. Ok......who wants to be the first on my list to buy this car 30 years from now? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Chajonlee said:
I'm one of the very few owners here who likes the factory look of the NSX. I can never imagine modding it. I even put seat covers all over those factory leather seats to minimize wear and tear. All my car always look perfect as long as I own them. Ok......who wants to be the first on my list to buy this car 30 years from now? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dibs on first in line. Just have it painted black before you sell it to me:biggrin:

I have little doubt it will be a true collector. The Supra is already near that level but under rare circumstances. The FD and possibly even 300zx twin turbo [mass produced but the twin turbo models are quite rare] may share the same glorious fate.

Regardless, the NSX can be one of the best and safest investments in the sports/exotic car market right now if done correctly; that surely helps making that withdrawl!

Newsflash Westernb4, they aren't producing the NSX anymore... The era of our cars (91-05) is OVER...

westernb4 said:
The Corvette has changed significantly in most ways since it was introduced. Can't imagine it would be considered collectible if Chevrolet still manufactured and sold them essentially as they were when introduced in 1953 (1954?).

Of course not. That's kind of the point of collectibility isn't it? To have something from that past that isn't like the things of today?? Although, I saw several VW Beetles on the Barret Jackson auction bring some pretty amazing numbers. Those things didn't change for 50 years, and their production numbers are the greatest in history. Porsche 911s have changed, but not drastically over many many years. Those are exceptions IMO.

hlweyl is correct about the Corvette. His response (I think) was based on you saying, "building and selling new ones". Hell, Mustangs, Camaros, Thunderbirds, etc. were collectible while the new ones were still in production as well. Tebbnsxr is correct. No new NSXs being made. If the replacement for the NSX is that crap ass thing in the other forum, then I think the current (91-05) NSX will absolutely be collectible.

westernb4 said:
I think that they are definitely not collectible at present. That doesn't mean that they might become such in the future

Of course they aren't!! Do you think people thought Camaros were collectible in 1967 etc.?? How many people do you know that have a "muscle car that got away" story?? Besides, that statement doesn't make much sense. I think you meant "that doesn't mean they won't become collectible in the future". Anyway, that's a pretty gutsy prediction. I don't think Dionne Warwick will be asking you to join the psychic friends network anytime soon.

westernb4 said:
for that to happen, I think, Honda would wither need to stop manufactuing/selling the car altogether or modify a future version in a significant way.

I agree.....and they are doing both of those things at present. The only question is whether "significant" will equal "better and improved" Only time will tell.

Back