• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX Regret thread

My only regret is buying a 996TT while still owning my NSX. Now my NSX rarely gets driven because it feels dated compared to a newer Porsche. Damm you Porsche...Why do you have to make such a fast car straight out of the box.
I regret selling the 1994 #1 coupe to make room for a 928 which was a childhood dream.
If one has not experienced just how freaking, blinding, scarily fast a 996 Turbo is, one owes to oneself a drive. I thought my NA2 coupe was fast until I drove EK's 996 Turbo. Absolutely NO comparison. I think the NSX looks a lot better than the 996 Turbo though.
Steve

I regret selling the 1994 #1 coupe to make room for a 928 which was a childhood dream.
If one has not experienced just how freaking, blinding, scarily fast a 996 Turbo is, one owes to oneself a drive. I thought my NA2 coupe was fast until I drove EK's 996 Turbo. Absolutely NO comparison. I think the NSX looks a lot better than the 996 Turbo though.
Steve

I've driven a 996 turbo as well and was blown away at how fast it was. I was grinning from ear to ear afterwards! Turbo cars are so much more fun than supercharged ones IMO. All the cars I have driven that were supercharged are a yawn to drive. Still fast just not fun.

I've driven a 996 turbo as well and was blown away at how fast it was. I was grinning from ear to ear afterwards! Turbo cars are so much more fun than supercharged ones IMO. All the cars I have driven that were supercharged are a yawn to drive. Still fast just not fun.

Im the exact opposite... I have a stock 335xi, a modded Mitsu Ralliart and a CTSC NSX and I've come to find that I'm just not into turbo.

Ive finally realized Im an "all motor" kind of guy. It was the one thing about the Vette and Viper that I liked.

A supercharger mimics that. The power band is nice and linear and just quicker than the engine was before it, but with the same characteristics...

That "im not moving... not moving... OMG IM FLYING!" thing in a turbo just doesnt work for me.

Ive driven 996 turbos and like that car a lot because the lag is at absolute minimum, but having now driven my CTSC NSX for a few years, I jumped into a 996 turbo again recently (been considering selling the NSX and going back to it) and the lag was immediately obvious. It made the 996 turbo feel *slower* than my car to me even though I know that by the numbers they are roughly equal.

Last edited:
i'm also in the NA camp now... still not sold on superchargers yet since my first experience in the Integra left the engine temps soaring hot... hotter than a non-intercooled turbo set-up if you could believe it. that and the added maintenance via the supercharger belt makes it more bothersome. and on the NSX i'm not a huge fan of the supercharger whine vs the beauty of an NA motor.

however, i am over turbo cars after having nothing but for over a decade now. mind you i have very minimal lag in my turbo cars, but there is some lag... and the boost not always consistent bothers me. i sowed my wild oats with big power and unless i go real crazy, turbo isn't worth it.

When I had my car the previous owner had a nice sounding R/M Exhaust and I decided to sell that and pick up a Taitec JGTC parallel exhaust to go along with the '02 real valance upgrade. I loved the updated valance but the exhaust was too loud for my taste... Exhaust tone is such a personal choice. Even with sound clips, you aren't 100% sure what it will sound like untill you install it.

I regret buying the Tein Type Flex set. It was the first performance mod I did to the car and I thought,"It's an NSX... who would make junk for such a great car? Even the lowest priced set must be good. Wrong) :mad:

They got the valving all wrong, IMO. By the time you adjust the knob enough to get good compression valving, the rebound is WAY too hard. Obviously, getting the rebound right made the compression too soft. Also, there was low-speed understeer that I could never dial out without making the front end too soft to have a good feel while driving the car hard or on the track. "Feel", I know, is subjective, but i was just never happy with any setting I put it on. I tried changing spring pre-tension, but just never got it right.

The KW V3 on the car now is best I've felt in an NSX, even vs a JRZ set (though I did not get an opportunity to tune the JRZ to my liking - who knows if I could have gotten those to work out well for me, but I'm guessing I could have based on their reputation).

J

Interesting James, I have the Tien Flex and have no complaints on my coils however I do agree that KWV3's are the best ever (those are on my IS-F) and they are worth every penny! hmmmm, now you got me thinking!

I regret selling my 2000 CTSC NSX. Best car I ever owned. It was every NSX owner's dream car.

I watched it drive away this week, and somehow the big chunk of money in my checking account just doesn't do it justice. I guess I felt I'd never have the opportunity to recoup what I did on it in the future, and let my head prevail over my heart.

It will still be here, as the new owner is now an NSX prime member.

I regret selling my 2000 CTSC NSX. Best car I ever owned. It was every NSX owner's dream car.

I watched it drive away this week, and somehow the big chunk of money in my checking account just doesn't do it justice. I guess I felt I'd never have the opportunity to recoup what I did on it in the future, and let my head prevail over my heart.

I believe I just read of the new owner's absolute enjoyment with 'your' former car. You know, we really never own ANY of this stuff; we're just caretakers along the way, you obviously were a good one. So, a score there.

Plus, there's another one in your future when the time is right. Sometimes your head HAS to win the argument in tough decisions. A new day - and an NSX - awaits!

I can not believe you had even the DF Recaro seats in there. Whoa. what a lucky new owner!

You will be back soon!

Oscar

Last edited:

Wow, you bought that thing not even five months ago!!!!

Arrrrgh!!

I wonder if I would feel the same way if I sold mine.....been looking at a few logical replacement cars (all cost quite a bit more and I know they would depreciate like a rock too)

What did you get to replace your NSX?

There is no replacement for the NSX :D

I think the correct wording is:

"There is no replacement under $120k for the NSX....certainly many cars out there but under that price range is very tough for sure!"

"There is no replacement under $120k for the NSX....certainly many cars out there but under that price range is very tough for sure!"

I can agree with that... :)

Add up maintenance costs and depreciation and you really see it even more.

I know this one is going to be a strange thread, but I think it may actually help a lot of people from making the same mistakes.

Please post about things you have done regarding your NSX that in retrospect, were mistakes. That way others will think twice. It can be anything from a mod you didn't like, to selling something you should have kept, to a place you parked, etc.

We always talk about things we like, but what things do you regret?

I will start, I'd like to hear from others:

I bought an NSX in Volvo gray. It was a mistake.

Fixed it for ya:wink:

LOL... I guess when you are jealous of an NSX with a 100 more HP than yours, you have to start talking about how your color is so "pretty."

LOL Sounds like someone is compensating :wink:

LOL Sounds like someone is compensating :wink:

Bro, I compensate every day for your weak girly-colored NSX with my properly tuned, properly colored, properly driven one. I've been carrying the load for 6 years now while you've been prancing around.

Last edited:
Bro, I compensate every day for your weak girly-colored NSX with my properly tuned, properly colored, properly driven one. I've been carrying the load for 6 years now while you've been prancing around.

Load is right:wink:

Properly tuned?? Same guy that said "the check engine light coming on doesn't bother him anymore":biggrin:

Prancing? You bought a supercharger just so you could make vids withe your "cousin". My NSX actually got it's "break in" miles as I drove two states to a two day track event. I was driving my car stock at tracks while you just did a bunch of mods for street driving:rolleyes:

Don't try that "you're a playa" with me stuff as I was tracking before you even had a sportscar. Poser! LOL

Back