• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the NSX's deadly rivals

what's the scoop with that? bloody sharp looking!

5.0 supercharged (same as F-Type R), 575 hp (25 more than F-Type R), AWD, heavy (but 100 lbs lighter than F-Type R) , 8 speed manual shifting auto (no DCT), slightly over 3 seconds to 60, $129k ($24k more than F Type R), local dealer wants a huge premium, great sounding exhaust

Optioned up they are 200k USD, so exactly the same as the NSX. Will be ever so slightly slower...3.5 0-60 has been announced, but will be faster than that (Jag seems to overquote by .3-.5 these days). Track, who knows? No times for either. Again, I'd say the NSX will be slightly better. The SVR has reworked suspension, aero and brakes as well as less weight and slightly more power than the standard R.

Pros: looks and sounds better than the NSX, and has a higher fit and finish inside (no honda switchgear and big ol' silver painted plastic dial).
Cons: less "super" looking, a bit slower.

Hmmmmmmm

Optioned up they are 200k USD, so exactly the same as the NSX. Will be ever so slightly slower...3.5 0-60 has been announced, but will be faster than that (Jag seems to overquote by .3-.5 these days). Track, who knows? No times for either. Again, I'd say the NSX will be slightly better. The SVR has reworked suspension, aero and brakes as well as less weight and slightly more power than the standard R.

Pros: looks and sounds better than the NSX, and has a higher fit and finish inside (no honda switchgear and big ol' silver painted plastic dial).
Cons: less "super" looking, a bit slower.

Hmmmmmmm

2017-Jaguar-F-Type-SVR-interior.jpg

The interior is nothing special IMO. I disagree with the interior being better fit and finish nor better looking (more subjective). I have a feeling we don't have the same tastes tho.

- - - Updated - - -

b9184af6-aca0-4015-c050-82c0e3684aa8-NewAcuraNSX2341.jpg

Yea not even close in the level of elegance or fit/finish.

Last edited:
I prefer the layout/aesthetic of the NSX interior, but the material choice bothers me (I think - obviously I haven't had a chance to sit in one). Any close up of the plastic bits look very cheap...and as I said, that big plastic dial in the middle is a worry. Compare that to the climate control dials on my R8 - very similar piece, but they could actually be bothered to make them out of metal.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Neither of them are 10/10 interiors, but I'd give the quality edge to the Jag. Still prefer the LOOK of the NSX though.

Attachments

• 2013-Audi-R8-V8-climate-control.jpg
    2013-Audi-R8-V8-climate-control.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 8440020_2017-acura-nsx-first-drive_tda74bb4b.jpg
    8440020_2017-acura-nsx-first-drive_tda74bb4b.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 736
I'd prefer one knob versus 4 or multiple knobs. The spartan button layout of the NSX's interior is easier on the eyes, and not as complicated with a less chance for more knobs being damaged or broken.

I could be wrong, but I don't see many people switching between modes with the singular knob as they'd think:

-There are going to be those that probably will keep it in track mode simply forever...

-Then there will be people who keep in the mode that best suits their driving style and only switching over to track mode when they want to get on it or quiet mode in the rarest of occurrences - like maybe valet parking so the kid doesn't dog the car.

- - - Updated - - -

O and lastly, aluminum knobs heat up in the summer especially or from sun exposure. So I can understand a plastic knob over metal. I hate getting into cars with metal shift knobs in the summer.

Not arguing aesthetics or functionality, as I said, I really like the NSX design. Just the material quality. When I pay 200k+ for a car, I at least expect the bits that look like metal to BE metal. I believe that ALL that silver trim on the NSX is plastic, though unsure. Anyone know for sure?

I could be wrong, but I don't see many people switching between modes with the singular knob as they'd think:

-There are going to be those that probably will keep it in track mode simply forever...

-Then there will be people who keep in the mode that best suits their driving style and only switching over to track mode when they want to get on it or quiet mode in the rarest of occurrences - like maybe valet parking so the kid doesn't dog the car.

i wonder does the car reset itself back to street mode every time it's started? like most cars save the Ferrari, because it's actually a manual dial on the wheel...

Not arguing aesthetics or functionality, as I said, I really like the NSX design. Just the material quality. When I pay 200k+ for a car, I at least expect the bits that look like metal to BE metal. I believe that ALL that silver trim on the NSX is plastic, though unsure. Anyone know for sure?

No, most of the big swaths of metal in the dash are the exposed aluminum frame. One of the NSX factory videos shows the dash frame being inserted and you can see the familiar shapes.

i wonder does the car reset itself back to street mode every time it's started? like most cars save the Ferrari, because it's actually a manual dial on the wheel...
I wonder that too. My R8 resets mode each time...but oddly retains the suspension setting.- - - Updated - - -
No, most of the big swaths of metal in the dash are the exposed aluminum frame. One of the NSX factory videos shows the dash frame being inserted and you can see the familiar shapes.
Can you remember what video it was? It seems very hard to imagine a packaging way that those bits could be exposed frame. Also, there's the bits on the center console, doors, etc. I'm pretty sure I've read reviews saying it's all plastic. I will say that if I'm wrong, I'm very impressed. That's a cool thing to do, Acura.

Last edited:
I wonder that too. My R8 resets mode each time...but oddly retains the suspension setting.- - - Updated - - -Can you remember what video it was? It seems very hard to imagine a packaging way that those bits could be exposed frame. Also, there's the bits on the center console, doors, etc. I'm pretty sure I've read reviews saying it's all plastic. I will say that if I'm wrong, I'm very impressed. That's a cool thing to do, Acura.

See the press release which says:

Interwoven under the handcrafted leather dash panel is the exposed midframe—a functioning chassis structural member that reflects the design aesthetic of a naked sport bike.

http://www.acura.com/PressReleaseArticle.aspx?year=2015&id=8261-en#~pGvPfwXMArC9BV

Ack, I can't find the video, which I saw in my Facebook feed. The video had a woman hosting it and she interviewed various factory team members. I will keep an eye out for it.

Oh cool! Actually I do remember reading that now - thanks for reminding me.
Surely that's just that bit on the passenger side? I wonder about all the other silver bits. I'm confident the bit on the transmission tunnel is plastic at least.

Side note and back to the rivals discussion:
I just realised that the Jag has a higher top speed as well - 200.

Attachments

• b9184af6-aca0-4015-c050-82c0e3684aa8-NewAcuraNSX2341.jpg
    b9184af6-aca0-4015-c050-82c0e3684aa8-NewAcuraNSX2341.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 256
I wonder that too. My R8 resets mode each time...but oddly retains the suspension setting.

the Huracan resets each time also, to Strada. absolutely sucks, terrible mode. i think all the German cars reset as well. along with the Audi R8, and i believe all the Porsches reset as well...

Sounds like Acura will follow suit. It's all software tho. Whoever cracks the ECU, should and can easily overcome that parameter.

- - - Updated - - -

Wolfman, the only part that is questionably plastic is the center bezel surrounding the knob. The rest should be polished aluminum.

the Huracan resets each time also, to Strada. absolutely sucks, terrible mode. i think all the German cars reset as well. along with the Audi R8, and i believe all the Porsches reset as well...

Porsche resets.

In the steering wheel, on the right side, you can see the shadow reflection for launch (not lit ha ha) - on the opposite side, space lights up for sport or sport plus when selected. Additionally buttons
on the console for sport or sport plus have indicator lights & also separate suspension setting mode. No selectable exhaust mode (PSE) on Turbo models.

Porsche interior is not fancy, but high quality materials.

New '17 991 models have bigger infotainment screen w/Apple car play + other stuff,
but otherwise pretty much the same inside. Steering wheel on the '17's added the mode selector (sport & sport plus).
Porsche has a couple steering wheel options that aren't free.

P1030109_zpskf7f5ih4.jpg~original

P1030108_zpsusatxada.jpg~original

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Seeing as we just seem to be posting interior pics now, here's the old girl's...with a bonus girl in it!

It's showing it's age as far as layout and tech (design is nearly ten years old now...!), but properly specced (as mine is) the materials are all pretty nice, and the finish as you'd expect from an Audi I guess.

Attachments

• 11005928_10205082490454580_1758289656_n.jpg
    11005928_10205082490454580_1758289656_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 584
  • 0R2A7361.jpg
    0R2A7361.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 0R2A7640 (1).jpg
    0R2A7640 (1).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Form/sculpture over materials for me. The best analogy, although not a direct analog, is that I care about how the girl is built under her clothes. I could care less if she wore Target brand clothing or Versace. As long as the material/wrapping/clothing functions as it should. If she's not built to my tastes, then it doesn't matter if she wrapped in the best materials ever.

German designed interiors are not very exciting to me, too elemental. I do like the fact that the 911's and R8's steering wheels are virtually buttonless tho, but it's almost too basic/simple. Acura handled their steering wheel well tho with minimal button layout especially in the matte, carbon fiber wrapping.

"Good luck Honda from Porsche. See you on the other side." :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

that's hilarious, can't say the Germans don't have a sense of humour and confidence in their product...

"Good luck Honda from Porsche. See you on the other side." :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

that's hilarious, can't say the Germans don't have a sense of humour and confidence in their product...
All that, and it also struck me as being offered in a spirit of respect and good sportsmanship.

Thanks Hothonda for posting the link. I also liked McLaren asking where the car had been driven at 205 mph.

attachment.php

i have to agree with Road & Track, they know what a Supercar is all about.

the 570S is currently the funnest (not the fastest) car i've ever driven by a long way, and the one i'd pick every time...

Back