• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the NSX's deadly rivals

as the R8 is arguably the spiritual successor to the original NSX (user friendly, every day driver, reliable exotic), i wonder how it will compare to the new NSX. and which will be deemed the more exciting car?

I'm waiting on the comparisons as well, purely at an esoteric level, seeming they've just announced the official Australian pricing at $420K + on roads. :) You'll have to tell me what you think, once you get to drive it!

Went to my dealer for a service and caught these 2 bad boys on the lot. Particularly like the look of the V10+. If I had $200k to burn it would be pretty tough to choose between that and the NSX -- Altho would be hard pressed to turn down the V10+. The difference might be that my dealer wants me to test drive the Audi and that opportunity doesn't exist with the NSX.

efbedb3c09f85f31f1c51b7113026366.jpg
ade2797bbbfb0d44961981f7ef9b14ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
saw a new R8 on the road today on the way back from playing soccer (driving my 2002 NSX). i have to say, it does look pretty damn good in person. much better than in photos or online...

saw a new R8 on the road today on the way back from playing soccer (driving my 2002 NSX). i have to say, it does look pretty damn good in person. much better than in photos or online...

You can keep your R8 for looks (the V10 of course would be out of this world), but call it an aversion to Teutonic style and design, but I WAY prefer the look of the NSX. Just as well we not all the same :)

I found the new R8 and NSX to both look better in person than photos. NSX of course is a more revolutionary design if you're looking for change since the R8 is incremental and recent.

There's a lot of hate of the new r8 design in the r8 community, kind of like how everybody was hating on new NSX design here a few years ago after reveal of the concept. I think it looks pretty damn good in person.

However I think the Italians take the cake in design elements but that's also at a premium cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've walked past one the last two times I've taken my daily in for a service. The R8 just leaves me cold. Much as I admire a lot of Audi's elegantly simple design, to me they just missed it with the R8, for both iterations. Our MkI's are a perfect example of simple elegance that holds real beauty. I can't say that about the R8.

Nor can I say it about the MkII, but at least it looks purposeful and aggressive which gives it its own beauty. But elegant it's not.

Nor can I say it about the MkII, but at least it looks purposeful and aggressive which gives it its own beauty. But elegant it's not.

agreed. can't say i find either the new NSX or the new R8 to be overly striking in the elegance of their design. although i will say the R8 looks markedly better from behind or through the glass engine cover, there is no comparison.

However I think the Italians take the cake in design elements

truth...

I've walked past one the last two times I've taken my daily in for a service. The R8 just leaves me cold. Much as I admire a lot of Audi's elegantly simple design, to me they just missed it with the R8, for both iterations. Our MkI's are a perfect example of simple elegance that holds real beauty. I can't say that about the R8.

I think the R8 just played it way too safe. One could look at the MkII R8 and mistake it for a mid-cycle refresh, not an all-new car. Granted Porsche does that the 911 and Ferrari only does a big body change every 2 generations with the entry level mid-engined car. Still, in the pool the R8 swims in, I think it needed to make a better styling statement. Not a bad looking car but not something to state at in the garage either.

I fell in love with the R8's looks when new (but passed on it for the objectively ugly GT-R). The Gen2 R8 is a mild refinement and not incrementally exciting, IMO. Still an awesome car, but no as cutting-edge looking as the Gen 2 NSX, again, IMHO.

I can see how some might find the NSX as "Too Busy," but it works for me.

The 911 would also be too "boring" looking if it didn't get so may bonus points for looking like a 911 (a timeless classic). In other words, I thinks visual appearance/style needs to be viewed in context.

911 would also be too "boring" looking if it didn't get so may bonus points for looking like a 911 (a timeless classic). In other words, I thinks visual appearance/style needs to be viewed in context.

I'm biased ha ha

P1030221_zps4g3ql3qy.jpg~original

I can see how some might find the NSX as "Too Busy," but it works for me.

Its got that "hey everyone, this is a fast car" look to it and to some people, that is too much. For a very long time I actually was one of those people and that is why I bought Audi brand cars. I went with the NSX mostly because I want to be part of the sport hybrid revolution but I have do admit that I have already spent a lot of time just looking at my NSX. The color especially is just nuts, complements the shape perfectly.

I didn't say 911 styling was bad, just "boring" if you ignore the history. I still have this one (Blue is the only color that matters):

attachment.php

Attachments

• Chris Cobalt Turbo JN7K2549.jpg
    Chris Cobalt Turbo JN7K2549.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Porsche has that "Hey everyone, it's a fast car look" also, but it's still rather boring as many have mentioned. The issue is that the shape is so elemental and not anatomical like a predator or beast in nature. The shape is derived from the circle and being descended from the Beetle car doesn't aid in the psychology of that aspect either, even if a 911 is much lower and more muscular than the typical Beetle.

The R8 also follows this trend sadly...

Porsche has that "Hey everyone, it's a fast car look" also, but it's still rather boring as many have mentioned. The issue is that the shape is so elemental and not anatomical like a predator or beast in nature. The shape is derived from the circle and being descended from the Beetle car doesn't aid in the psychology of that aspect either, even if a 911 is much lower and more muscular than the typical Beetle.The R8 also follows this trend sadly...

Given that Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini and Bugatti are all from the same parent company, I think Volkswagen has done a masterful job keeping each marque unique, particularly in the Lamborghini/R8 case where they share many under the surface details.
Each model seems to have it's own following and Volkswagen has a model for every taste.
The Porsche 911 is such a renowned shape it would seem to be a mistake for Volkswagen to change it.

Given that Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini and Bugatti are all from the same parent company, I think Volkswagen has done a masterful job keeping each marque unique, particularly in the Lamborghini/R8 case where they share many under the surface details.
Each model seems to have it's own following and Volkswagen has a model for every taste.
The Porsche 911 is such a renowned shape it would seem to be a mistake for Volkswagen to change it.

i fully agree with all of that. they know what they're doing, and are massively successful...

I have to say, after watching drive vids of the R8V10 plus, it looks like so much fun to drive. Maybe a little more than the Nsx. BUT, the Nsx has tons of dynamic driving modes to suite the driving needs with a click. Like quiet mode especially when you want serenity. Best of everything in my opinion.

Personally, I went with the Huracan. Just makes my heart race, just looking at it, even after a year of ownership. I don't think anything can touch it in the looks department, except of course the Aventador. My McLaren was so bad, I was just happy to get rid of it. I gave up on the NSX after all the delay (waiting 6 months for my Huracan order was hard enough). And the only other real alternative was a 458, but it was dated. Those thinking of R8, don't really cross-shop Audi and Lamborghini, unless you have to justify the price. But even with all the commonalities, the R8 just wasn't in the same league, styling, emotionally, etc. Lamborghini is more of a "lifestyle", if that doesn't sound too elitist.

The honesty thing is one thing

They are able to create a lot of highly desired and pricey (profitable) rides.

The strange thing for Porsche is that they could likely get more performance out of the mid ship cayman platform than they do from the rear engine 911 but they have so much brand equity in the 911, it would create a positioning nightmare.

The strange thing for Porsche is that they could likely get more performance out of the mid ship cayman platform than they do from the rear engine 911 but they have so much brand equity in the 911, it would create a positioning nightmare.

I agree.
Porsche is very careful not to have the Cayman cannibalize 911 sales.
It's nicely positioned below the 911 and they keep it there.
They understand their business very well and Honda could learn from them.

Yeah, Volkswagen has proven themselves regular fucking geniuses this year.:cool:

what Bricks said...

They are able to create a lot of highly desired and pricey (profitable) rides.

Just drove the new R8 V10+. Fantastic machine with great sound.

that Lambo/R8 V10 engine is the second best sounding street engine behind the LFA...

Back