• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2013 F1 Thread...

Alonso continues to impress!

the indy car race today was more exciting, and i dont say that very often.
the call on Scott Dixon sucked tho.

And Alonso did drive the best race just RB and Seb too good

What if Fred had an equal car????

Alonso continues to impress!
If Pirelli didn't control the circus and if NBC didn't own the broadcast, we'd probably hear some credible comparisons of Fred to Seb on pure driver skill.

You BBC watchers hear some useful discussion on that?

Truthfully Vettel is a very damn good driver. Lots will argue that if they are put in those red bull cars and get out in front they could do the same thing but even when Vettel is challenged he stands strong and makes moves when needed. I would love to see him go head to head with someone who has an equal car, then you can tell who the better driver is.

Not saying he's better then Kimi, but just saying it's hard to tell.

They're both excellent (obviously)... but I'd give Kimi the edge -- for the moment. Vettel is still young and learning... he has the added plus of driving the best car. I don't care for his attitude (vis-a-vis Mark) but he's really no worse than Schumi and Senna.
We'll see in five years, won't we.

Don't you love PR stuff!?

Daniel very much deserves the drive, and being in the right place at the right time sure helps a LOT. But you won't find a nicer young man anywhere, who has lived and breathed his dream since he was a child. Apparently he used to sit up and watch F1 [telecast after 10pm local time here in Perth] even as a small boy before he started schooling - helped by the fact his motor racing dad was also a keen F1 follower.

One thing Daniel is good at, is listening to what is asked of him. I watched his first Formula Ford race [driving an ancient Van Diemen] sitting next to his old man, and he followed his dads instructions to a tee. I'm sure it is this quality that enhanced his chances with Red Bull :wink:

But to dismiss his ability because of this virtue would be a great disservice as he has shown great speed in all of his racing sojourns. He was quick in Formula BMW Asia, so much so that he was cherry picked by head of BMW F1 Mario Theissen to move to the Italian series the following year. From there he went on to win the British F3 title in 2009, and should have won the Renault 3.5 series in 2010 but for some typical Aussie bad luck :) In F1 Daniel is cursed by the same affliction that Webber suffered when driving back of the field cars - they qualify way ahead of where the car belongs, then spend the race going backwards drifting back in the pack to where the car belongs on race pace. Because of that, the "unknowing" believe he can't race, but as Webber has shown, given the right car they can race as good as anyone. I'm sure Daniel will show that quality next year.

Whether he shines at Red Bull under Marko's thumb, and Vettel's shadow is something I'm looking forward to seeing develop over the next couple of years.

I think Ricciardo is another Massa and I may fear he may become an "also ran." He hasn't shown any spectacular aggressive moves or over taking in this day of DRS F1. I thought we would see something like what Weber pulled off back in the days of the Minardi i think ? And Robert Kubica in the BMW way back when. Those guys pulled off some serious maneuvers which got them attention. I haven't seen or heard anything from this kid. Just my opinion.

Red Bulls look fast, based on 2nd practice. Sunday's forecast is for rain, maybe that will slow SV. Then again his first win was in Toro Rosso in the rain at Monza so I guess we are screwed.

Maybe rain can help,dry weather not for shure.

Did you guy's see how fast was Toro Rosso after Ricciardo signed for RB (looks like Horner decide to share some RB parts to prepare Daniel for next year).

I'm looking forward to changing weather conditions...then perhaps Lewis can use this to his advantage..having said that the Bulls are FAST.

Bram

Last edited:
saw that too. Where will Massa go? as a relative newcomer to F1 this year (post Shummie years) i'm still trying to figure out how RB is so good. SB and car #1 just seem to be running a different race.

- - - Updated - - -

are they cheating somewhere? lol

Short answer: Adrian Newey.

Back