• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2013 F1 Thread...

Obviously you're not enough:) at the end of 1987, the FIA gave all the teams the new regulation changes for 1989 so ALL the teams except McLaren decided not to bother with a 1988 car and continue to use the 87 car with some improvements. McLaren's all new 88 car was the mighty MP4/4 which went on to win 15 of the 16 races that year. At the time, many said Senna was winning because his car was far superior to the rest of the field. As I said in a post earlier, i was there to hear the boos. Now we know that the car is not enough by itself but the driver is even more important. Seb may not have the charisma of the mighty Senna but he is becoming just as unpopular and successful as him.

bboxer win 15 of 16 but with 2 drivers here we have 1 driver wining all. Does word of experts like Minardi don't mean anything.Didn't other drivers also said that Seb's car sound different than all others including Webber's car(which should be the same)?
I do not want to say that Seb is not a good driver, but I can tell you that Mark certainly has not the same treatment as him and neither the car.Mark is not 2 sec. slower driver than him(Singapore)per lap and please do not compare him with great Ayrton!!!

Last edited:
bboxer win 15 of 16 but with 2 drivers here we have 1 driver wining all. Does word of experts like Minardi don't mean anything.Didn't other drivers also said that Seb's car sound different than all others including Webber's car(which should be the same)?
I do not want to say that Seb is not a good driver, but I can tell you that Mark certainly has not the same treatment as him and neither the car.Mark is not 2 sec. slower driver than him(Singapore)per lap and please do not compare him with great Ayrton!!!

I sometimes wonder just how good Vettel is compared to Alonso, who until this season I thought was the best driver in the series. Has Alonso lost his fire? Or is the car just such a dog that Massa is equal (or just better suited)????

The season started with such promise.

I sometimes wonder just how good Vettel is compared to Alonso, who until this season I thought was the best driver in the series. Has Alonso lost his fire? Or is the car just such a dog that Massa is equal (or just better suited)????

The season started with such promise.

Miner ??
Alonso if we don't look last race was 3 reces finished second and always started fifth and down.Still second in DC and don't forget Ferrari is 4th car (behind Mercedes and Lotus not to mention RB)looking on speed and performance.Maybe next year will be different.

Miner ??
Alonso if we don't look last race was 3 reces finished second and always started fifth and down.Still second in DC and don't forget Ferrari is 4th car (behind Mercedes and Lotus not to mention RB)looking on speed and performance.Maybe next year will be different.

True in the finishing order. Massa has been practicing and qualifying close to, if not ahead of Alonso the last several races. Last year, and earlier this year Alonso was .25-.50 sec fast than Massa everywhere, as well as at the finish line.

I hope next year will be better too.

Last edited:
It's on heavy rotation now: http://youtu.be/431h20gvm3M

As all the sunday punters drive out of the parking lot after the GP, they all hope their cars' engines sound this good.

But none of them even come close. Not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

myhui, are you talking to me? :)
If you are, Barnard left McL for Ferrari in 1986, I think...

Yes I was talking to you.

Barnard left McLaren and started working for Ferrari in early 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barnard

Quoting above:

September 1988 in a season of total domination by McLaren, whose Honda powered MP4/4 had been designed by former colleague Steve Nichols, and his replacement in the team Gordon Murray. Ferrari finished 4th in the Constructors' Championship in 1987 and 2nd in 1988.​

Read it again, myhui ! Last sentence of the McLaren era paragraph. He left McLaren for Ferrari at the end of 1986.
1988 was the year he moved back to the UK and started the Guildford facility. In his first year at F (1987) he started working on the 88 car which was later abandoned and replaced by an upgrade 87 car. His real influence at Ferrari started with the 89 car with the (unreliable) first semi auto box.

He left McLaren for Ferrari at the end of 1986.
1988 was the year he moved back to the UK and started the Guildford facility.

Thank you for the correction.

That means he had little influence over the legendary MP4/4 that won 15 out of 16 races. McLaren gave Gordon Murray complete support and freedom in the design of that car, and the result was spectacular, as history now shows.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction.

That means he had little influence over the legendary MP4/4 that won 15 out of 16 races. McLaren gave Gordon Murray complete support and freedom in the design of that car, and the result was spectacular, as history now shows.

You're right. Murray has always taken the credit for the 4/4 but poor Steve Nichols ( an american genius of an engineer) who replaced Barnard as head of design at McL had as much to do, if not more, with the success of the 4/4. Murray (his assistant) had brought with him the Brabham 86 chassis design he had done previously and Nichols improved on it. Poor guy never got the credit he deserved, a Yank in a mostly British environment.

And where is Steve Nichols now? Back in the USA?

Dont know. I know he went to Ferrari and in 1993 he had moved to succeed Gary Anderson at Jordan and failed pretty badly. All in all, a not so successful career after the late 80's.

I think Fred will outlast Kimi since he's younger, is more focused and has a much better work ethic. He's got his brand on Ferrari now, and will be seeking to measure up to Schumi's legacy. He's not caving in to anyone. At least that's how he has appeared up to this point.

I like Kimi, hope he does well and that the intra-team rivalry is friendly. But I do think he's running on natural talent only and may not have the mental toughness to deal with engineering/setup problems the way Fred does.
Ted - Good to see you are still around.

-Muneeb

Meh. Vettel needs to come down with the flu, herpes, hemorrhoids and sit out the rest of the season, or even better, his car should have mechanical failures for the rest of the season.

Good thing MotoGP is much more exciting this season. That kid Marquez is a beast on that Repsol Honda! I'm still rooting for Pedrosa and hope he can close the gap and win the championship. If he doesn't, he'll go down as one of the greatest riders to not win a championship. Suck it Lorenzo/Yamaha! Team Repsol Honda!! :p

This thread has derailed. Much like the season.

F1 has become...may the best car win! It would be more interesting if we get to watch Adrian Newey work.
Moto GP has more drama and is more interesting to watch....and I am not into bikes.

Rebel....how u read my mind about Moto GP?:eek: I found myself glue to the tv again....they got some great racing going on! KER/DRS/etc are cool but in MotoGP, you really have to work at it to pass.

Last edited:
F1 has become...may the best car win! It would be more interesting if we get to watch Adrian Newey work.
Moto GP has more drama and is more interesting to watch....and I am not into bikes.
At the risk of repeating myself, we said pretty much the same thing in 1988 when McLaren won 15 out of 16 races, yet it was one of the most watched and exciting seasons of its time. I watched the 88 Japan GP just last weekend; amazingly exciting. Some of us watch for the performance, the technical aspect and are interested in what most of the teams and drivers try to achieve. Most Americans only have time for a winner and get pretty bored if their guy or team is constantly beat. Same in football, baseball...etc there is a reason F1 will not do well in this country.

Rebel....how u read my mind about Moto GP?:eek: I found myself glue to the tv again....they got some great racing going on! KER/DRS/etc are cool but in MotoGP, you really have to work at it to pass.
You sound just like my friends! The last couple of years have been MotoGP this.. MotoGP that! I've tried to give it a shot. I still meet up with them to have a MotoGP party but the rubbing elbows, the thuggery, and overall rider centric competition isn't so much what I love about motorsports. I truly love the strategy and the technology which is why I find myself sticking to F1. In F1 the driver is a smaller piece of the puzzle. Unfortunately, F1 is still stuck using the crappiest tire manufacturer possible and Newey is too damn good!

At the end of every season F1 should mandate each team have an opportunity to inspect each other's cars. Then they start over every year. That would be interesting!

Back