• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

it's a shame, I had high hopes for that pairing...

Don't give up hope just yet. : - )

2015 just started, there are a few races left.

Last edited:
Alonso fell out of favour with many engineers , floor staff and FIAT. Its no surprise Vettel goes in and re-invigorates the entire team.

Vettel can hardly be credited for reinvigorating Ferrari. The team changed from the top down almost entirely. And giving the current team proper credit, credit should also go to people that developed this car's car - last year's people.

Well we already know, that Alonso "thinks" that he is a Pre-Madonna on the F1 grid and that he should get preferential treatment on and off the track, and it does not matter which Team he is driving for.

As I said before, I dont see this New relationship with McLrean/Honda going very far.

Alonso is a prima donna…no argument there. But so were Senna and Schumacher - each in some respects far worse at destroying a team. And it's only the second race of the season…hardly the time for the team or their fans to throw in the towel.

I don't know if I would agree with you Sean with respect to Senna and Schumacher.

Senna was a true racer and he took no prisoners and did not comprises when it came to driving and winning. However, he did not go around demanding thing from the Team.
On the other hand the Ferrari Team was built around Schumacher, so it was all for Michael to do as he please and he was Number 1. I have not read anything about Michael being Prima-Donna like when he was at Benetton or Merc

I for one would like McLrean/Honda to do well, however I don't see Alonso being the person to do that with this Team, from where they are currently....but everyone see things differently.

Bram

were the car competitive, I could see Alonzo winning for sure. in my opinion, he may well be the best driver out there.

but, with Honda not being able to build a power unit that can make half race distance, even with a reduced power output. well, best driver in the world can't do much about that...

^ What he said.

So, if McHonda can find reliability and tune the PU to the 150ish hp that they're supposed to be missing in a putative race with Mercedes, do you guys think McHonda could fight for podiums by mid-season?

kudos to Ferrari for making a two stopper work.

Let's not sell Honda short.
They're working 24/7 on reliability first, performance second.
I'm thinking two top ten finishes for McLaren in Shanghai.

Yeah I agree, it will take them until they get back to Europe before we see them turning up the heat in the engine bay. They are treating these 3 rounds as testing since they didnt really get any over winter. It's all about data now so they can see where the aero changes need to be and understanding the engine then bringing out some updates to hopefully make it all work together better. Without pace you cant test downforce and heat generation for the tires and without reliability you cant get that pace step sorted.

I see that dissolving at the first possible opportunity.

it's a shame, I had high hopes for that pairing...

That tells us how little you understand F1 and McLaren.

It will thrive after couple of years. First off, Ron Dennis is fully aware of the situation with Honda for not being in F1 since 2008. Also they cannot afford to have customer engine as McLaren is without a title sponsor. If Honda is out of the picture, McLaren is stuck with Renault, as Ferrari will not supply them, and MB just left them. Also Honda is probably helping McLaren paying Alonso and Button, as they always do with asking the team to hire the drivers they want.

Honda is here to stay. They will offer McLaren Money, production car technology collaboration, and more.

Last edited:
I would add Honda is not known as a hybrid car company as is Toyota or Nissan. They need F1 to help them build a good power unit, unless the world comes to its senses and realizes green car should be limited to the paint and wheels.

this tells me how little you were paying attention to the conversation.

because myself and Bram were talking about the pairing of Alonzo and McLaren/Honda.

Lol as quoted, totally out of context....we're discussing Alonso and McLaren...

I do believe that Honda is in it for the Long haul, and RD does understand what it take to develop a Power unit and a chassis. I would not be to surprise if by mid season, they have their Power unit full tuned with the McLarean chassis and on the Podium.

We all want McHonda to do well, but we have to be realistic about their results, especially with the Players they currently have within the Team.

Bram

Ah, I see. Alonso is not going anywhere.

He may very well end his career with McLaren. His time is over and is costing way too much money.

Jenson is a different story, relatively drama free, and can move down to lower teams if he wants to continue driving. However, as he enjoys being married, he will retire in a year or two to enjoy his money.

Honda is more calculative than most people think when it comes to drivers. Alonso and Button will both help them further develop the car and engine until their help is no longer needed.

Yeah I agree mid season for some positive results, podium may be a bit optimistic tho. 1st practice in an hour so lets see if those long straights make the Honda look worse

Back