• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2018 F1 Thread

Dunno know about Vettle....Ferrari don't look to good on the long runs. They are fast on the Ultra soft, not on the soft, and this track is hard on tires and brakes.
The Red Bull are very quick in the First sector, but ok on the other sectors...ie they need more power.

The merc seem to have better pace on the soft (harder) compound tire. Hamilton was setting some really good time on these tires.
Another fact is this is a power circuit with three DRS zones, so lots of overtaking opportunities....

We see what the results will be at the end of the day.

Bram

Agreed.....Not a single overtake during the entire race.

I would say the accident on the First lap in front of our Grand Stand was the most exciting part of the race.

Bram

espn coverage still has some weird cut aways....random woman in some generic studio pops up before commercial break promising profusely that the coverage will return exactly as they left it....sometimes we just get commercials ...I do like the ex drivers from sky, but very dry humor...

espn coverage still has some weird cut aways....random woman in some generic studio pops up before commercial break promising profusely that the coverage will return exactly as they left it....sometimes we just get commercials ...I do like the ex drivers from sky, but very dry humor...

I would recommend watching ESPN on demand, straight original feed from SkySports no commercials based on my experience.

AFAIK the commentators from Skysports are aware of the American audience as such they seem to be going out of the way to make their broadcasts a bit more friendly to the additional audience in the US this year.

Ricciardo won't fit in the Mercedes team, at least he won't be allowed to serve champagne in sweated hot racing shoes on the podium (not everybodies taste). Ferrari fears to destabilze Vettel with an equivalent driver (like Mercedes favors a designated no. 2 next to Hamilton). Riccardo should take the risk and stay with Red Bull. But not sure how crazy Max reacts if they're both in the position to fight for more than a single race win...

Good for Honda to have data from two teams. Also good they do what they're good at, supplying engines to an A-team but also challenging as Red Bull will have high expectations regarding reliability which is deciding championships these days.

When does Carlos Sainz come back to Red Bull (he's too good for Toro Rosso now)? He has only been lended to Renault for this year. This should discipline the crazy Dutch to completely go nuts.

And Alonso: excellent driver, no question, but no mercy with him: he always took the wrong decisions, was always complaining (at Ferrari, at McLaren), he's a dinosaur and will die out. :)

Last edited:
I would recommend watching ESPN on demand, straight original feed from SkySports no commercials based on my experience.

AFAIK the commentators from Skysports are aware of the American audience as such they seem to be going out of the way to make their broadcasts a bit more friendly to the additional audience in the US this year.

ahh so they are adjusting to our unique audience....

Ricciardo won't fit in the Mercedes team, at least he won't be allowed to serve champagne in sweated hot racing shoes on the podium (not everybodies taste). Ferrari fears to destabilze Vettel with an equivalent driver (like Mercedes favors a designated no. 2 next to Hamilton). Riccardo should take the risk and stay with Red Bull. But not sure how crazy Max reacts if they're both in the position to fight for more than a single race win...

Good for Honda to have data from two teams. Also good they do what they're good at, supplying engines to an A-team but also challenging as Red Bull will have high expectations regarding reliability which is deciding championships these days.

When does Carlos Sainz come back to Red Bull (he's too good for Toro Rosso now)? He has only been lended to Renault for this year. This should discipline the crazy Dutch to completely go nuts.

And Alonso: excellent driver, no question, but no mercy with him: he always took the wrong decisions, was always complaining (at Ferrari, at McLaren), he's a dinosaur and will die out. :)
Ricardo has nowhere to go really. Unless Iceman decides to retire. Even then they won't be interested in someone like him. The only reasonable place would be McLaren but then again I don't think Alonso is leaving.

It seems to me that Alonso will be the driver on the McLaren Indy Car team next year. At least that was the impression after he was part of the winning team at LeMans.
Don’t know if that makes a spot for Ricardo at McLaren, but it does open a spot for a lead driver on a mid-pack team.

Who wants to drive for McLaren? Only someone who gets compensated with big $$$$. Red Bull is the far better option for any driver including Ricciardo.

That's what all drivers want.

You might ask the two no. 2 drivers from Finland if they feel comfortable to drive for their no. 1 drivers. Ricchiardo would be no. 2 in both winning teams as long as Vettel and Hamilton are there. Red Bull treats both drivers equally. So he has much better chances with Red Bull if Honda implements a "party mode" Renault failed to in the last years. So he better stays with Red Bull.

clearly Vettel isn't going to allow Ricciardo into the team in lieu of what happened last time. but i don't think Hamilton would mind too much honestly. but it doesn't appear he has either option at this time...

Back