• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The ultimate NSX seat? take a look

I've really been into the "seat" thing for a long time now. For over a year I have looked at various seats to replace my NSX seat with a more proper track/street seat without giving up much comfort.

I am lucky enough that I have a few places nearby where I have been able to try Recaro, Takata, Cobra, RaceTech, MOMO, OMP, and various others. I have also been able to sit in genuine type R seats in ShaylorD's car, and a set of Downforce Replicas in Midnight Raven's. For those wondering, they are identical... but the foam in the genuine R is superior and more comfortable. The Downforce is close.. but not quite the same.

These two have been the most "comfrotable" seats I have sat in with the exception of one. And I have found most of the others, from the $3500 dry carbon seats to the $800 basic OMP's, have a very similar design, and a similar fit. It is just that some are a bit bigger, and some are a bit smaller in various spots. But all the buckets sit you rather upright, and sort of "squeeze" your body into place. Is that comfortable? not really. The OEM seat is VASTLY more comfortable than any of them, but it lacks support.

So there is only one seat that I have sat it that is uniquely different, and holds your body completely differently. This seat sort of cradles your whole body like a glove. With zero cushioning, it is supremely comfortable. Not just on my body, but on several of my friends that tried it. There are no pressure points, nothing that digs into one area of your body. Like a glove, or a really big hand, it coddles you into place. One amazing thing was everytime I leaned forward, and then leaned back, you could actually hear air escape from around my body. Literally, the seat is that form fitting without squeezing me anywhere. That seat is made by a British company called Tillett, they have been making seats for the Caterham for years and for Karts for many many years. Their carbon work is exquisite, so much so that they are now OEM'ing other carbon parts for manufacturers. They've spawned some copies, but they are not the same.

Recently Tillett expanded the car line with some incredibly strong seats that passed some brutal FIA testing with not even a scratch. Those models are the B6F, and the B7. The seats are all dual skin. The inner mold and outer mold are different. This is very unique. The B7 is about 7 pounds. It is the lightest FIA seat on the market. The B6F is around 16 pounds. Same strength, just heavier and less expensive (about $1500 a seat compared to about $3000 a seat without rails).

I have been sort of smitten with these seats. The only thing I thought they were missing was shoulder support. On speaking with Steve Tillett, who is extremely knowledgable, he told me that shoulder support is actually somewhat of a poor method for securing the body. He explained that shoulders need freedom for movement and comfort. And that real support comes from the Torso. Things they have learned over the years making Kart seats.

The reason I am posting this is I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback. I spoke to Steve about a group buy but I am not sure how many would be interested. The seats are narrow outside, but fit many many different people. The bottom of the shell has a "bowl" that that cradles you and should allow for the lowest possible fitment in the NSX. The fact that this seat is comfortable without cushions (I Know this is hard to imagine, but trust me it just is like nothing you've felt) allows the absolute maximum level of headroom in an NSX, great for tall drivers and much safer for anyone else (roof is very likely to be the first point of impact in an accident in the NSX).

If you have any opinions or questions, that is the purpose of this post.

B7-side-on.jpg

tillet-b7-racing-car-seat-front.jpg

tillet-b7-racing-car-seat-back.jpg

tillet-b7-racing-car-seat-top.jpg

EB-f1-side-view-of-bracket-700.jpg

B7-below.jpg

Last edited:
Does ot not bother anyone that you lose the adjustability of a stock seat?

Or the luxury of power seats?

I understand you are really using your car for track so this is really a necessity, so function over form - I get it.

But I like to take my girl to dinner out in the NSX also soooooo hows that work

Does ot not bother anyone that you lose the adjustability of a stock seat?

Or the luxury of power seats?

I understand you are really using your car for track so this is really a necessity, so function over form - I get it.

But I like to take my girl to dinner out in the NSX also soooooo hows that work

What adjustability are you using? a recline with a firewall behind you? Manual adjustment instead of power? No that does not bother me at all. How often do you adjust your seats? Does your girl need to constantly move the seat back and forth to be comfortable? A lot of "adjustment", cushioning, various sizing, is often needed because most seat manufacturers have an archaic design they need to provide all this for to make a few different people comfortable. This is not one of those designs. I watched person after person sit in this seat of all various sizes and shapes and say "man.... this thing is incredible". What you need is a well designed seat. Not a poor seat with lots of adjustability.

Sometimes you want to lean v back when driving. Sometimes you may want to sit more up straight.

And fit the women is not an adjustment thing. It's more ease of getting on and out in a skirt

No fabric?

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you want to lean v back when driving. Sometimes you may want to sit more up straight.

And fit the women is not an adjustment thing. It's more ease of getting on and out in a skirt

Those that are getting bucket seats definitely do not worry about those things. If you do worry about those, then obviously bucket seats aren't for you.

You could consider some reclinable recaros if you want to go for an aftermarket look though.

No fabric?

There is no fabric, but there is some material that is extremely thin and absorbs vibration that he offers for those that prefer. The material is dense and it still allows the seat to give proper support. If you mean just cloth, the seat's carbon work isn't something I would want to hide. A suede cover is available called "dinamica suede panels" this is not the same as the foam I speak of which is very expensive and not listed on their site. Here is a seat with the suede panels and custom logo. AMS is using these in the Alpha Omega GT-R. This seat is also big in the lotus community. But older models. The B6F and B7 FIA are new designs. Also note the bracket. That is an FIA bracket milled from solid billet. It's beautiful craftsmanship.

B6F-with-special-panels.jpg

One thing to keep in mind... have you ever slept on a super soft mattress then had a back ache the next day? While it was "comfortable", it did not give you proper support. Have you ever switched hiking shoes from something super padded to these?

52ac3d0a-1d18-4b0d-aa87-8ae1ae8b4007.jpg

Cushioning actually cuts support for many parts of your body. That is what Tillett understands well.

Last edited:

Or if things go well on the date, reclining the passengers seat as far back as it'll go. :D

The holes on the side look pretty roomy, there shouldn't be an issue with seat belts.

Exactly. While I can't say with 100% certainty, I am pretty sure they will fit.

- - - Updated - - -

When are you planning to start the GB? :)

Perhaps I should start a name count for those interested. I was just trying to see the interest level. I am pretty much going to get a set no matter what. I can't stand sitting in any other seat after having sat in these.

Turbo2Go,

Interesting, I was actually reading your old seat thread today. I've only had the NSX for 4 months, but the seats is that one aspect of the car that I really don't like. It's not that they are uncomfortable, I just feel like I'm sitting too high and really want to lower the seating position. It all depends on the final pricing, but I'm really interested in these. I hadn't looked at these specifically, but I had looked Tillett and Probax. I was looking at the DF-R seats that were posted last night, but those are already gone, so I'm back to the drawing board. I've never sat in any of Tillett's seats, but I do know that the SLC kit car guys swear by these, so they must be really good.

Last edited:
The DF-R seat is a great seat. Some don't know but the DF-R seats are stronger than the real R seat. They had an extra layer of carbon, they are extremely light, and overall Peter at DF knows his shit. I tried to do a group buy with them but they simply cannot handle it. But at this point, that is my SECOND favorite seat. Tilletts are the real deal. It is a better, more advanced design than the R seat that was designed by Recaro many years ago. It fits the body in a completely different way. I haven't seen anyone that owns a set not like them and I did a lot of reading. More important than that for me was sitting in them then moving 3 feet and sitting in a Recaro. Then another 3 feet and into a Takata. Then another 3 feet and into an OMP. Most all of the others feel very similar. They feel nothing like the Tillett B6F.

In a crash, the last thing between your body and a foreign object is the seat. It is your last line of defense, what protects your spine, your legs, ribs, what keeps you in place, etc. Like a helmet that fits snug around your whole head, you want a seat that fits around your entire body not just here and a little there.

There are still other benefits. On the track, much feedback of what the car is doing or wants to do comes through the chassis. A lot is through the steering, but much is also tactile through the rest of your body. That "connection" is simply more solid with this seat. You will feel your car more and be able to anticipate what it is wanting to do. So there are many benefits here. Comfort, safety from strength, fitment in the car, clearance for your head, feedback from the car.

- - - Updated - - -

7ae040f848f6bdfa1a2c479b0263d30d_zpsc8dc1fd1.jpg

343787fb96224453033f179c47a6bc7f_zps21469a91.jpg

9318d761fba287c6c30841616f0de34d_zpsaca7614c.jpg

What looks like a painted back is actually paint mixed into the epoxy used on the carbon weave. It's embedded and extremely durable. There are no carbon overlays on these seats like you see with other manufacturers. It's all real.

Do you think the B4's to reclined and sunken in?

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized that the B4 is no FIA approved, which is probably why you didn't mention it.

I don't know. The recline angle on the B6 and B7 are perfect. I know some lotus guys run the B1 but it's not as supportive. The B6 FIA and B7 FIA are the newest and best. What intrigues you about the B4? I'm in touch with Steve Tillett so I can ask.

Dave would they make those billet rails for the NSX bolt position fitment so i could mount my Downforce seats on them, i dont think i need adjustable rails anymore

Scammy yes. And if not them I have someone else I think two billet NSX specific fixed brackets are long overdue. Rills and sliders don't have near the strength, safety, or lightness.

After doing some more reading, I think the B4's won't work in our cars. They are more for pure racecars with a much more reclined seating position. Tillett categorizes street cars as "saloon" cars. From their website theyt recommend the B1, B6, and B7 seats for "saloon" cars. Weight wise I would rank them B1 (3kg, 4kg-upholstered), B7 (3.5kg, 4.5kg-upholstered), and B6F (7.5kg, 8.5kg-upholstered). Price wise it would be B6F, B1, and B7. Truthfully, I have no clue which I would go for. I'm kind of hungover on how much more the B6F weighs, but at the same time don't think the weight should mater that much, for me that is. In the end I guess it will all come down to what pricing Tillett will offer on the GB.

The pricing increases as you go up. B1, B6, B6F (FIA), and B7. Any of them are actually stronger than the OEM seat. It just depends on how much strength you want. The standard B1 is easier to get in and out of because of the lower bolsters. The B6 FIA may be heavier but it is also ridiculously strong. Most likely the one I will go with. The B7 is VERY EXPENSIVE. $6000+ options and rails a set.

Back