• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The worst selling car in the US is...

Nope, not the NSX! We're at #2, with 125 sales so far in 2004.

#1 is the Porsche Carrera GT, with 54 sales. They don't publish the whole list, and they exclude "blueblood" brands, but the VW Phaeton comes in #6 with 849 sales.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/vehicles/2004/08/02/cx_dl_0802feat.html

Anyone have the whole list? Wondering what else sells down in the hundreds.

ps - "Once-impressive", "in dire need of an overhaul and a V8".. :(

Re: Not a fan of that number

Viewfromtheback said:
They should compare on a % of cars made....

Great idea. I would like to know that actually.

How many of the 35,000 vettes made each year sell. How many of the 911's etc..

I think the NSX is at 100%.

I know the Pontiac GTO is really low.. probably 30% right now.

Re: Re: Not a fan of that number

This article was posted here a week ago.

NetViper said:
Great idea. I would like to know that actually.

How many of the 35,000 vettes made each year sell. How many of the 911's etc..
They always eventually sell. Differences in model years releases would make it difficult to compare one model vs. another. Also, manfacturers try to build just enough to meet demand. Rather than a percentage based on number of sales vs. number produced over a given interval, a better indicator would how long a particular model sits at the dealer before it is sold. I'm sure JD Power as well as other market research firms publish this metric.

Re: Re: Not a fan of that number

NetViper said:

I think the NSX is at 100%.

It would probably be close to 100%, but unfortunately there has been a 04 Imola Orange sitting at our healer here in Hawaii for a few months unsold. I'm sure there are a few unsold ones around. Maybe 90% NSX's made are sold:p

Re: Not a fan of that number

Actually, the best way of gauging sales is rate of sales, usually by month.

Sales/Total Production percentages would eventually be 100% depending on when you take the polls.

I believe Honda sometimes publish sales figures by month...

Can't compare NSX prod. to Corvette Prod.

They sell the corvettes they make. There is no "unsold corvette graveyard". It's really no comparison. The NSX isn't selling well because it just is not as commonly desireable as other cars in the same price range. NSX production is probably down to about 5-10% capacity while Corvette production was probably around 97%. Right now, a new NSX is just plain hard to sell. I'd bet most new NSX's go to previous NSX owners. If I could afford a Porsche GT3, do you think I would buy an NSX. My answer is "Hell No". And I'd say that most people shelling out $85k for a sports car would probably say the same thing. I own an NSX, but it cost me $40k + ~$15k in work. So, I was comparing an NSX to a new M3, a 3 yr. old 911, and a new Z06. They'd sell far more NSX's at $55k than they do at $85k. The issue is that the NSX is hand built, and thus limited in production and pricey to build. Even at full capacity, they wouldn't turn a profit at $55k. From what I hear, they have never turned a profit on the NSX. So, it seems the real problem lies in the Honda management's decision to keep the car exclusive, regardless of profit. I'm pretty sure they'd come closer to covering their costs if they sold 5000 $55k cars then they do selling 124 $85k cars. Do you really think they can run a factory and pay for shipping on just $10.5M a year? I don't. That's why the NSX is floundering right now. The project just doesn't have the support to give NSX's a nice looking new interior, a new powerful motor, etc... Anyway, that's my take on the situation, and I'm probably totally wrong.

Matt

Re: Can't compare NSX prod. to Corvette Prod.

slashmatt said:
...... and I'm probably totally wrong.

Matt
I think you are right. As much as I love the NSX and have owned 3 so far, I am very disappointed in Honda for letting it dwindle. I remember the days that the NSX was described as the "best sport car, any where, any price, any something." Honda should really just let the public remember NSX as just that by stopping production a few years earlier and put out the HSC. Instead, now the NSXs are collecting criticisms like dated, overpriced, once great, etc. If Honda keeps this up, in a few years will be something like, "the 2015 NSX, now sells for $150,000 and practically unchanged from its 1991 debut, is a total laughing stock of the automotive industry. Even its youngest sibling, the base model Civic, priced at $25,000 outruns it in 0-60 and top speed. Whereever NSX goes, it receives inverted thumbs or even middle fingers pointing straight up. Long time NSX owners scramble to sell off their once pride and joy but find no one dares to accept the risk of constant saliva and vomitus showers they frequently encounter from the public......" I love the NSX, but if the rest of the world continues to improve their products while the NSX continues to stay the same. I will surely jump ship one day.
Steve

That's not the percentage I'm talking about

I'm not talking about the sales/production percentage in the case of the NSX factory. I'm talking about the number of cars produced/number of cars the factory can produce.

"the 2015 NSX, now sells for $150,000 and practically unchanged from its 1991 debut, is a total laughing stock of the automotive industry. Even its youngest sibling, the base model Civic, priced at $25,000 outruns it in 0-60 and top speed. Whereever NSX goes, it receives inverted thumbs or even middle fingers pointing straight up. Long time NSX owners scramble to sell off their once pride and joy but find no one dares to accept the risk of constant saliva and vomitus showers they frequently encounter from the public......"

:D Oh man, that is funny. That is exactly the point on the praise-vs-time graph, tracing the current line from 1990 to 2004, and projecting out to 2015. Lets hope theyve upgraded the poor thing just a bit by then!

That said, I didn't mean to bash the car in my original post. Low sales numbers do not necessarily mean a car is a failure, if it is the "image" car for the company. The Carrera GT by all accounts is a success for Porsche, because it is serving admirably as their signature flagship. And that has been the goal of the NSX all along. But, enough is enough - bring on the HSC already!

That is why I purchased a NSX because you do not see them on every street corner. Most people have no idea what type of car it is and I like that...keep them guessing

As long as the automotive press and the citizens of japan still thinks its the best japanese sports car money can buy, Honda will not change a thing.

This is coming from a friend of mine that resides in Tokyo.

The article text is kinda interesting...

In its category ("lowest-selling cars"), the Carrera GT is actually one of the greatest and most successful cars in the world, as are a couple of others on the list of the ten slowest-selling cars in the first half. All the GTs that are made are sold--the surest sign of success any car manufacturer could hope for.

But some cars are on the list of lowest sellers because they have problems. The second slowest-selling car in the first half--discounting those of blueblood brands and those being killed--was Honda's once-impressive Acura NSX coupe (125 sales), which is in dire need of an overhaul--and a V-8 engine instead of its V-6.

OR maybe its already on a sunset path AND its in dire need of an overhaul.

whiteNSXs said:
Whereever NSX goes, it receives inverted thumbs or even middle fingers pointing straight up.
Steve -- this does not include the Howe-HID equipped NSXs, right ?? :)
Don't hold back -- let us know how you really feel. :D

In the track events and car gatherings/shows I go to, I don't find this to be the case. I still find the car gets a lot of positive attention.

nsx1164 said:

In the track events and car gatherings/shows I go to, I don't find this to be the case. I still find the car gets a lot of positive attention.

Steve is talking about what would happen if honda let it go another 15 years.

nsx1164 said:
No, Manuel. It was a joke of the automotive comment the NSX would receive if it remains unchanged by year 2015. You know I love the NSX. :)
Steve

Back