• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

There's a rat in my NSX, what am I gonna do?

I popped the bonnet this morning, and noticed little piles of rat poop under the hood. Inspecting further, I found a nest made of straw and dead grass under my left headlight.

It appears that a rat (or largish mouse) has been using my NSX as his home. I guess I can't fault him for taste...

I drove the car this morning, and everything seems like it's working normally, so I don't think he did any damage. Aside from the cleanup, is there anything specifically I should check?

This ever happen to anyone?

I once had a mouse/rat in my car for a little while during the winter. Biggest problem that I ran in to was rat turds dropping in to the heating ducts. I noticed it when I turned the heat on the car and it gave a horrendous stench. Took a while to get it all out.

This happened to my friend's GMC Typhoon.

It made me and 5 other dudes scream and run for it since we were looking for the latch and had our heads just at hood level and not even a foot away.

As u can imagine no one expected that 2 LARGE rats were going to be waiting for us in their 2 nests made of natural fiber and some rags.

Right when the hood opened up the rats ran towards us. My buddy that owns the Typhoon screamed like a girl and dropped the hood and we all ran into each other like cartoons trying to get away.

The girls were laughing.

He was able to start the Typhoon with no problems and drive it.

Pics:

os8u4o.jpg

2ahgnz7.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem, but the rat ate my coolant hoses inside of the tunnel. Luckily caught the problem before any damage. I've heard they like coolant, so you might want to check all of your coolant hoses for damage.

I had the same problem, but the rat ate my coolant hoses inside of the tunnel. Luckily caught the problem before any damage. I've heard they like coolant, so you might want to check all of your coolant hoses for damage.

All animals like coolant. It taste like corn syrup. U should try it.

Get the rat out before it chews through wiring. They especially like nesting in between the banks of TLs and CLs. I personally had one living under the bonnet and after cleaning out the debris, the rat chewed thru the knock sensor wire which is under the manifold. This same rat also chewed and scratched thru drain piping in our house. After all was said and done, repairs were well over $2000.
As for the method, enough people recommend against poisons that result in the rat passing away and then rotting in the garage / attic / crawl spaces etc. I would put either rat traps as mentioned close to the car, or if necessary, poison in a pet and child safe box close to the car, but away from the house.
Miner

Attachments

• Rats Nest under Bonnet Small(640x480).jpg
    Rats Nest under Bonnet Small(640x480).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 407
Do NOT put poison (like DCon) out. They will stash it away somewhere, likely in the car. I have had to remove the entire dash in my Scorpio to get it out from above the glove compartment. This is in addition to likely off target animals. As well as problem of decomposing rat somewhere inaccessible in the car or house. Off target also a concern with sticky traps. As said above use old fashion traps & peanut butter.

Last edited:
General rule on rodents - where there is one, there are more.
Aside from the NSX cleanup, you need to eliminate the others that may be in the vicinty.

As others have said, don't use poison, else it will die somewhere you can't get to.

Get an electric mouse or rat trap - Victor is a brand that comes to mind. These traps entice the rodent to enter and then electricutes it; powered by batteries. Then you can dispose of it with no mess.

My 2004 caught fire cuz a mouse climbed into the air intake and made a nest in the airbox. check your airbox to see if he has another home.

also they love to climb into the mufflers and make a nest and you will smell them cooking after a drive.

also remove your rear tails, they climb into the rear fenders and make a home.

word of advice check your airbox trust me. look at my build thread.

What a helpful thread because next year my car will be stored for most of the winter. I have seen rat droppings near my car. I was driving it pretty often so I guess a nest couldnt be built in time. I guess I will do this rat trap stuff just to be sure. Do you rat trap guys have certain places you like to put them?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are or where openings are from the outside of our nsx to the interior cabin? I dont want to take apart my interior in search of possible rodent droppings

This is what I found in my prelude after months winter storage. Are these from chipmunks or rats?

Attachments

• DSCN0533.jpg
    DSCN0533.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN0534.jpg
    DSCN0534.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 281
My first thought when I saw the thread title was "How did he get a Chevy big-block in his NSX?" :biggrin:

Guess why we call our Miata track car "Track Rat"?

Good luck eliminating the critters.

Does anyone know if there are or where openings are from the outside of our nsx to the interior cabin? I dont want to take apart my interior in search of possible rodent droppings

This is what I found in my prelude after months winter storage. Are these from chipmunks or rats?

Those are acorn hulls so I'd say that was either a chipmunk or a squirrel. Be careful because they will bite the piss out of you. Don't ask how I know.

One of colleagues at work who owns a number of boats gave me a tip that I've used for years and it seems to work. He recommended placing dryer sheets in strategic locations on the car to keep them away.

Personally, I've placed a sheet in each intake gill on the side of the car. A few in the the engine bay and under the hood. They are non-toxic to humans and don't smell bad.

Shawn, so that is the story to the burned out car. I somehow missed that part in your build thread.

Subscribed, Bob! Most interesting post of the summer :biggrin:

Hope you nail the rat-a*s bas*ar*. And soon. Want to see follow-up, hopefully pics of the varmint caught in your lair.

I live somewhat "out in the country" and done business with plenty of mice, 'coons, skunks, 'possums, and building inspectors but thankfully, never a rat(s). Go get 'em!:cool:

Lot's of great advice but I have a question since you obviously aren't driving your car....??? Why not?

Do you rat trap guys have certain places you like to put them?

With the electric traps put them anywhere near the car. I'd suggest two traps. You put peanut butter inside the trap, the rat goes in, closes the circut and ZAP! The rats will find the peanut butter.

Back