• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about a 996.

Unless its mint interior, the interior is grusome, pontiac style. Very,very,very easily scratchable, if your gona get an interior, only get tan on hardwood trim. Think of the E46 interiors and the paint they used or some of the early audis, ull find ur self trying to figure out where the **** did this scratch come from.

Driving eperiences......Hmmmm. Well, I was doing about 60mph in a 55 speed zone and had a blow out in my right rear tire. My 996 was just a carrera 2. I was hit head on by a truck doing about 70 which had to have seen me from at least 100yds away. Spent a long time recovering (this was in 2004). Rear engine/Rwd = bad experience during a blow out. My NSX is faster than my 01 carrera and is more nimble. If, and thats a big "if", I do ever decide to sell my current NSX, it will only be for a Ferrari....not another Porsche. I had a 99 hardtop carrera before the 01 and it felt slushy (not slugish....slushy).

I'd recommend a C4S cab or coupe for the improved exterior styling. I was going to get a 2004 Cab (the only year they made them) but changed my mind at the last minute and bought the NSX instead. It all depends what you are after. Reliability wise, the 996 would seem to be reasonable once the RMS issue has been taken care of. Looks wise, its a nice car but does somewhat get lost in the crowd. The 4WD system is a definite plus but adds some 300 extra lbs over the basic model. Handling wise, they are extremely stable and don't appear to have any of the quirks that the 993's and earlier models had. The interiors are somewhat bland but no more so than the Boxster, which I had for 7 years. I never had any problems with scratches etc on the inside, so I wouldn't expect the 911 to be any different as long as you take reasonable care with what you carry (believe it or not I used to haul planks of wood in my Boxster with the top down from the hardware store to home. I won't be doing that in my NSX however :biggrin:). Overall, the 996 had a solid, tight feel to it and feels a lot more grown up than my Boxster. However, at the end of the day, and this is the reason I bought the NSX instead, is that the 911 didn't feel as exciting to drive as the NSX, even though it would have been a better fit for me.

Kevin

short answer, don't even bother... I have to say I don't even like the stock 997 Carrera S. I still haven't driven any regular GT3 but I would stay away from 996 altogether. taken from some people who own both nsx and GT3(996), nsx has better handling.

Well, the GT3 RS on the other hand :biggrin:
74185_450172948401_785763401_5468812_164678_n.jpg

Had an '04 (996) C4S (320hp), which was a great car for the road and track, although my '05 NSX ran comparable laps at Mid Ohio and Putnam Park; stock brakes much better on the Porsche. Traded C4S for '09 (997) C2S (385hp), and totally different car....much faster (PDK)...hard to compare the NSX to 997 Porsche since they are so different in hp, but NSX much better value.....depreciation kills much of the enjoyment owning a Porsche unless you track the car; I'd recommend the NSX if you could only own one. Regarding comparing a GT3 to NSX, you got to be kidding about the NSX handling better, please!

Had an '04 (996) C4S (320hp), which was a great car for the road and track, although my '05 NSX ran comparable laps at Mid Ohio and Putnam Park; stock brakes much better on the Porsche. Traded C4S for '09 (997) C2S (385hp), and totally different car....much faster (PDK)...hard to compare the NSX to 997 Porsche since they are so different in hp, but NSX much better value.....depreciation kills much of the enjoyment owning a Porsche unless you track the car; I'd recommend the NSX if you could only own one. Regarding comparing a GT3 to NSX, you got to be kidding about the NSX handling better, please!

A bit out of topic, but the 996GT3 that I had back in 04 felt very nervous and not confidence inspiring compared to my NSX with the NSX-R suspension and lot of other suspension goodies and a BBK. So it is just a matter of taste.

The 997 is a superior car compared to the 996 so if I were in the market for a 911 I would only consider a 997.2 car or a 997.x gt3 or 997.x gt3rs.

Currently on my 3rd P-car and about to order my 4th one next week, so happy with their cars overall =)

Save your money and buy a 997 if you need to get your P-car fix. 05 and 06 models are dirt cheap IMHO and way better cars then then 996 in all respects.

Back