• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of selling my M3 to get/boost an NSX

Hows it going guys, My name is Sam I'd like to take the time to introduce myself and my story. I've been a LONGGG time lurker but never actually posted, I was always very close to owning an NSX but always took a different route.Ive owned a 01 ITR,turbo s2k,05 g35,03 996tt,and now I own a 04 E46 M3. I recently drove my friends 03 NSX for the weekend and fell inlove with the car. My next step on the M3 was putting a Horsepower freaks (HPF) turbo kit on it but after driving my friends NSX I had a change of heart and now cant make up my mind on what to do.

I decided to turn to-none other than the NSX guys,to hear your thoughts. I've been reading up on this site on all the different turbo applications availble for the NSX. I've read that the 02+ NSX can safely run about 500 rwhp on boost with a stock motor. Considering the fact that it is lighter than the M3,I think it will give a HPF stage 1 turbo M3 a run for its money. However, HPF has a stage 2.5 for the M3 that comes with tons of things including a built motor car puts out about 670-690 rwhp which is a monster. This HPF stage 2.5 kit runs about $25k-$30k including shipping my car to and from HPF.

This is what I had in mind for my M3,but after driving the NSX and reading that a NSX turbo kit with clutch and install runs a bit under 10k and puts you at around 500 rwhp made me think twice. I mean,driving the NSX all together made me think twice. The NSX looks better, feels better, handles better, sounds better, and holds more value than my M3. At this point I'm considering selling my M3 instead of dropping $25k on it, getting an NSX and enjoying it till Im ready to drop $10k on a turbo kit. Seeing that the car is so light I think I will be happy with 500 rwhp and if the speed bug bites, I guess I can always build/sleeve the motor and run more boost to try and reach a bit over 700-800 rwhp.

Let me know what you guys think, any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

if you really need that kind of power then you should probably buy a vette and modify that.

if you really need that kind of power then you should probably buy a vette and modify that.

I thought about that,and drove a buddy of mines C6 Z06. After recently driving an NSX I like the feel of the NSX better. I actually kind of hated the way the Z06 felt when I drove it. It is a very nice car but Im just not that much of a fan to own one. My main concern is not being able to make the NSX as fast as the turbo M3. Then I will regret it all together. I know a HPF turbo M3 stage 3 is capable of a reliable 700-800 rwhp Im just hoping the NSX can reach some where inbetween those numbers. I wont be taking any of the cars to the track, nor quarter mile racing - street/highway racing would be more of my thing. I made this thread to get some more insight on what a realistic scenario would be. Thanks

sam

Good luck
dunno.gif

More like 400whp *reliably* out of the stock 3.2L motor.

If you plan on pushing 500+, I would consider a billet crank with larger rod journal bearings.

Good luck
dunno.gif

More like 400whp *reliably* out of the stock 3.2L motor.

If you plan on pushing 500+, I would consider a billet crank with larger rod journal bearings.

Well this is why I made this thread to hear what you guys thought, the more I read the more I learn and it will help make my decision. I appreciate the input. NOW, are the pistons forged from factory on the NSX ? and do the 3.2's bring a stainless steel headgasket ?

I know we are talking about 2 different cars,but I would imagine a similar setup. Correct me if/where I could be wrong. On my old 2003 turbo S2k I ran a stainless steel head gasket, the pistons where forged from factory and I used methanol. I ran 14psi and made a bit over 460 rwhp. The stainless steel head gasket dropped compression, now I dont know if this is available for an NSX. If the pistons are forged, changing the headgasket to drop compression and using methanol I dont think 500 rwhp would be unsafe.Again Im new to the NSX but not new to turbo cars/builds. I also had head work done from Alaniz technologies. The s2k felt really fast. I used a GT35R dual ball bearing.

I've read on Angus's kit and a member on here on a stock 3.2 was putting out 472 rwhp with methanol. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again

Sam

Last edited:
I'm making 380 at the wheel on my 91 nsx and still running the stock clutch right now. I'll wait 'till stock clutch goes out, I'll drop the motor to install rps stage I clutch, cometic head gasket, arp head stud and shoot for 500 whp with meth. Most people will tell you keep it around 400whp with stock motor but with meth I think you can go for 450whp.

Im just hoping the NSX can reach some where inbetween those numbers. I wont be taking any of the cars to the track, nor quarter mile racing - street/highway racing would be more of my thing.

sam

Great, street racing a 700 hp car. At least you're not near my streets. :rolleyes:

This is what I had in mind for my M3,but after driving the NSX and reading that a NSX turbo kit with clutch and install runs a bit under 10k and puts you at around 500 rwhp made me think twice.

I don't think so. A decent turbo setup that puts out significant power is 10k alone.
http://www.lovefab.com/html/nsx2.html This does NOT inclued installation and does not include a clutch

Buy the NSX because you Like the NSX and be happy with the amount of power it makes.
I have a supercharger and make more than stock. It is street legal and costs around 10k.
My car puts 365 to the rear wheels.
To get more power I need to spend more money. Lots more. ~20K

On the track "road course" there are few cars that can touch a modified NSX.
Not sure if this is what you are interested in.

Later,
Don

I don't think so. A decent turbo setup that puts out significant power is 10k alone.
http://www.lovefab.com/html/nsx2.html This does NOT inclued installation and does not include a clutch

Buy the NSX because you Like the NSX and be happy with the amount of power it makes.
I have a supercharger and make more than stock. It is street legal and costs around 10k.
My car puts 365 to the rear wheels.
To get more power I need to spend more money. Lots more. ~20K

On the track "road course" there are few cars that can touch a modified NSX.
Not sure if this is what you are interested in.

Later,
Don

+1....at the least $20k+....kit and built motor and that's doing it right.

wil's turbo kit (angus) runs about 6k.Cuttin into the trunk of the nsx would'nt be an option for me so the lovefab kit is out of the question.thanks for all the info though i will keep it in mind.

I was not trying trying to recommend the Love Fab kit. Just an example.

A clutch that will handle the power you are looking at would be ~3500-5500 installed. You may want to change the gears in the transmission? ~1500 if done with the clutch. What about the differential? ~3000 less install.
Wide tires/rims to handle the power.

The nsx is not an inexpensive car to modify.

I love my NSX. I go to the Track allot "again road course" The NSX makes a wonderful track car. I suspect it is not the best choice as a Drag car.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

from what i gather the op is interested in the allure of the exotic and high hp bragging rights, not the benefits that nsx presents. especially if the car will never see a racetrack but 'street racing'.
go get a supra, leave the nsx alone, it is not what you are looking for.

I have a 382 whp supercharged NSX running a 2-stage methanol and no intercooler (yet). It is extremely reliable and has a near-identical power-curve to stock, just more.

I might suggest three things:
(a) POWER TO WEIGHT: instead of thinking about total hp, think in terms of lbs/hp. and consider a reasonable FI approach combined with some weight-savings (my current setup with some carbon-fiber, dry-cell battery, removal of spare, and other weight saving pieces is pretty close to the 505 gross hp Z06 ratio at only 380 whp);
(b) BUDGET: even with my setup you are looking at probably $15k ($9k for the supercharger, aem, injectors...). Plus if you are adding this power you are likely to consider suspension, wheels, etc. which quickly increases budget; and
(c) ALREADY SETUP; There are some tremendous bargains out there on good used already FI'd NSX's. Look for one that already has the expensive bits on it and then you can tweak from there. it is a tight community and if you find one ask questions about it and have it looked at by a reputable NSX mechanic and tuner.

I am fully aware of the HPF E46 M3s that are super fast in the 60-130.
I think you should just go with the stage 2.5 on your M3 because it will cost you a lot more to get an NSX to that level.
Just my $0.02

700hp boosted NSX for street racing? Makes no (financial) sense to me. This is clearly for bragging rights, and the reason why I sold my E46 M3 because of the boy racer image it was turning into.

Last edited:
wil's turbo kit (angus) runs about 6k.Cuttin into the trunk of the nsx would'nt be an option for me so the lovefab kit is out of the question.thanks for all the info though i will keep it in mind.

You do not have to cut the trunk or anything else on the lovefab kit. If you are planning on more than 550-600 RWHP the drivetrain probably will not last too long.

You do not have to cut the trunk or anything else on the lovefab kit. If you are planning on more than 550-600 RWHP the drivetrain probably will not last too long.

Why?
Drag racing isn't hard on the drivetrain...
Rev it up dump the clutch with fat sticky tires.
No way this is not hard on parts... Come on.

If you don't have enough traction put a few bags of sand in the trunk for some extra grip.

New drive shafts are 1k per side for OEM. They are cheep.
You can swap them out in a few hrs at the track. Make sure to bring a 36mm socket.

In my personal opinion, i think that spending 25-30k on an E46 M3, or NSX will give you similar results if done properly. One thing to also take into consideration is the fact that the NSX is easily 500 lbs lighter than most cars and even 700+ lbs lighter with minor weight reduction, therefore when comparing the 2cars, horse power alone is not an equal comparison. On my 03 i've raced 09 M5's, M3's, and Lexus ISF's to mention a few, all with I/E and some even tuned and all have been left behind by at least 1 or 2 cars. Keep in mind all i have is H/E and all these cars have 100+ horses more than a stock NA2. I'm thinking of getting Wil's(angus) turbo kit within the next few months and after doing my research feel that 500 rwhp can safely be achieved with methanol and a few other mods on a 3.2, and i don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make an additional 200-250 rwhp with more boost on a fully built motor spending another 15-20k and doing it right. At the end of the day an NSX looks much better in my opinion than an M3, so that alone is more than enough!!:biggrin:

We have NEVER cut into a customer's car. All of our kits are 100% bolt-in. The only car we have cut is our shop car which uses a turbo that is just too large to fit underneath without modification or an oil pump.

Just wanted to put this in here, I'm finding it hard to understand why this is not yet common knowledge!

from what i gather the op is interested in the allure of the exotic and high hp bragging rights, not the benefits that nsx presents. especially if the car will never see a racetrack but 'street racing'.
go get a supra, leave the nsx alone, it is not what you are looking for.

Swerve, I appreciate your advice but I feel as if you have me misunderstood. I'm not interested in any bragging rights nor the allure of having an "exotic". My last car before the M3 was a 2003 996tt on HRE wheels-meaning I have had high end cars before.I have been fortunate enough to be able to own a 100k car and know what it feels like.If I wanted something high end and be king of the road, Id jump into another 996tt already modded.

About the supra, why would I get a supra ?? :rolleyes: for that I keep my M3.I have a friend with a 800hp supra and I do have a lot of respect for the supra,but my thread isnt "Which car should I get to go fast ?" I made this thread because my next step on my M3 was to put a turbo kit on it, but drove the NSX and loved it, so now Im thinking of getting one and wanted to hear what you guys thought of turbo applications on the NSX and how you would compare it to turbo applications on the M3

I had the chance to drive my buddies NSX with cantrell header/exhaust and I I've driven NSX's before but it was stock and just around a block. After I got back in the M3 I found my self not enjoying the ride as much as the NSX.I want to do my homework on the NSX and see how far it can go and how much it will cost.If I can reach around the same rwhp with an NSX and it cost me around the same as the HPF M3 turbo kit, I will get the NSX.Now on the other hand if it isnt reliable,makes less rwhp and cost more than the M3 turbo kit,I rather just keep my M3.I have a goal of 650-750 rwhp, and part of doing my home work is finding out what the tranny/diff holds on the nsx with such high hp.If I can have a turbo nsx w/built motor, clutch/diff and reach 650-750 relaible rwhp for around $25k I'm all go for the nsx.If it will cost more than $25k and not be reliable to daily drive, and not reach that rwhp I will steer away from the nsx.

Either way hope you understand where I'm coming from :smile:

I am fully aware of the HPF E46 M3s that are super fast in the 60-130.
I think you should just go with the stage 2.5 on your M3 because it will cost you a lot more to get an NSX to that level.
Just my $0.02

If it does cost a lot more and doesnt give the same if not better results than the hpf then yea, turbo M3 it is.

700hp boosted NSX for street racing? Makes no (financial) sense to me. This is clearly for bragging rights, and the reason why I sold my E46 M3 because of the boy racer image it was turning into.

For starters, like I said before it isnt for bragging rights. If I wanted bragging rights I'd get a modded 996tt or turbo vette and be king of the road. Let me ask you something - how can you to tell me - let alone, tell anyone how much HP they can have on their car for street racing ? Partner, you can't tell me anything because you are not me, you are you and I'am me. Millions of ppl mod their cars to their likings and reach an HP goal of their likings,some ppl are happy with 400rwhp for the streets, and some want to roll with the big boys and go for 800rwhp - 1200rwhp...its a personal hobby with personal goals and while to you it may not make any financial sense, to others it makes perfect sense because it is what makes them happy.

Also, about the "boy racer image" you stereotyped the M3 on-That's like me saying "I wont get a Benz amg cause then I'll have a rich boy douche bag image" think about that. Ppl like different things and mod their cars differently and Just because I like nice fast cars doesnt label me a racer boy,I've had good taste in cars even when I was young, and I've never riced out any of my cars infact all my cars have been simple, clean, at stunning at the same time.

Really ? Well Im still reading up on it and all the pics I've seen have them in the trunk. Would you mind sharing some pics ? I pamper my cars, having that much rwhp I see my races being 2nd gear and up. Im sure launching the car with that much power will hurt the tranny and diff. Im hoping clutch/diff is all I would really have to do. Thanks for the info

Why?
Drag racing isn't hard on the drivetrain...
Rev it up dump the clutch with fat sticky tires.
No way this is not hard on parts... Come on.

If you don't have enough traction put a few bags of sand in the trunk for some extra grip.

New drive shafts are 1k per side for OEM. They are cheep.
You can swap them out in a few hrs at the track. Make sure to bring a 36mm socket.

" and Thanks I'm a smart ass"

Fixed.:tongue::biggrin:

:rolleyes: I wont be breaking any drive shafts cause I wont be launching the car. If you beat on the car with out a doubt you will harm everything, not only the tranny. As far as traction goes, I never had a problem behind the wheel once I've learned the car, and 1k drive shafts ??? I'll take 10 :eek:

In my personal opinion, i think that spending 25-30k on an E46 M3, or NSX will give you similar results if done properly. One thing to also take into consideration is the fact that the NSX is easily 500 lbs lighter than most cars and even 700+ lbs lighter with minor weight reduction, therefore when comparing the 2cars, horse power alone is not an equal comparison. On my 03 i've raced 09 M5's, M3's, and Lexus ISF's to mention a few, all with I/E and some even tuned and all have been left behind by at least 1 or 2 cars. Keep in mind all i have is H/E and all these cars have 100+ horses more than a stock NA2. I'm thinking of getting Wil's(angus) turbo kit within the next few months and after doing my research feel that 500 rwhp can safely be achieved with methanol and a few other mods on a 3.2, and i don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make an additional 200-250 rwhp with more boost on a fully built motor spending another 15-20k and doing it right. At the end of the day an NSX looks much better in my opinion than an M3, so that alone is more than enough!!:biggrin:

Thanks danny, glad to hear your opinion..again...and again....and again LOL !!!

We have NEVER cut into a customer's car. All of our kits are 100% bolt-in. The only car we have cut is our shop car which uses a turbo that is just too large to fit underneath without modification or an oil pump.

Just wanted to put this in here, I'm finding it hard to understand why this is not yet common knowledge!

Well, the only pictures I've seen on your site are of the shop car. Maybe you guys should update with pictures of the kit installed. Till then I'll look around a little harder for pics of the kit. I've heard nothing but great things about lovefab ever since I had my turbo S2k, so cheers to you guys for having an awesome product in all these past years.

Sam

In your original post. You were looking for 700-800RWHp for 10K.

Stock nsx:
3.0L = 270 crank hp
3.2L = 290 crank hp.

Let's assume NSX rwhp is 250. 700rwhp is %280 more hp.

This is not had for a small price. You are also interested in reliability.
Not at this power level.

I have had my Comptech supercharger in my car for about 5 years.
maybe longer. I have logged more than 100 track days on the car with the blower.
The car is very reliable. The car only makes 365rwhp.

I believe you can make ~500rwhp and still be reliable. It will cost more than 10k.
It could eat up your 25k budget. but you are not at 700rwhp.

As I said get the NSX because you Love the car. Be happy with the car.

On the track I go around 911TT's. On the straight they are about the same as my nsx.
Maybe a tad faster but in the corners the nsx has more grip.

"how can you to tell me - let alone, tell anyone how much HP they can have on their car for street racing ? "

0 that's the answer. 0 hp for street racing. street racing is illegal and dangerous, especially with that much HP. If you had any sense you'd take it to drag strips or driving events

Back