• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of selling my M3 to get/boost an NSX

In your original post. You were looking for 700-800RWHp for 10K.

Stock nsx:
3.0L = 270 crank hp
3.2L = 290 crank hp.

Let's assume NSX rwhp is 250. 700rwhp is %280 more hp.

This is not had for a small price. You are also interested in reliability.
Not at this power level.

I have had my Comptech supercharger in my car for about 5 years.
maybe longer. I have logged more than 100 track days on the car with the blower.
The car is very reliable. The car only makes 365rwhp.

I believe you can make ~500rwhp and still be reliable. It will cost more than 10k.
It could eat up your 25k budget. but you are not at 700rwhp.

As I said get the NSX because you Love the car. Be happy with the car.

On the track I go around 911TT's. On the straight they are about the same as my nsx.
Maybe a tad faster but in the corners the nsx has more grip.

This is what I wrote on the original post,

This is what I had in mind for my M3,but after driving the NSX and reading that a NSX turbo kit with clutch and install runs a bit under 10k and puts you at around 500 rwhp made me think twice. I mean,driving the NSX all together made me think twice. The NSX looks better, feels better, handles better, sounds better, and holds more value than my M3. At this point I'm considering selling my M3 instead of dropping $25k on it, getting an NSX and enjoying it till Im ready to drop $10k on a turbo kit. Seeing that the car is so light I think I will be happy with 500 rwhp and if the speed bug bites, I guess I can always build/sleeve the motor and run more boost to try and reach a bit over 700-800 rwhp.

I never for once thought or imagined 10k will get me 700-800rwhp. I can understand what your saying about being reliable, I honestly think I will be ok with the high 600 rwhp considering the fact that the car can be made so light.Im thinking I will be fine with spending 10k, reaching around 500 rwhp on wil's turbo kit until I get the speed itch again, then spend more money and get the motor built to go higher boost and reach around 600-700 rwhp.I drove my buddies NSX again yesterday to see if this was just a phase, and I starting to really believe it isnt. I'm leaning towards getting the NSX a lot more now. Thanks.

On my 03 i've raced 09 M5's, M3's, and Lexus ISF's to mention a few, all with I/E and some even tuned and all have been left behind by at least 1 or 2 cars. Keep in mind all i have is H/E and all these cars have 100+ horses more than a stock NA2.

I hate to break it to you but perhaps the M5 and the IS-F weren't even trying.
There's no way your 03 NSX with just headers and exhaust can keep up with those cars.

NONE.

maybe 'snakey' can chime in...;)

just an observation, the reason you are getting flak is that this forum is not like other ones out there. most of people here are serious enthusiasts that track their cars and purchased the nsx exactly for what it is. you only drove one for a bit and are assuming what it 'needs' based on straight-line performance when it is not a 1/4 mile car, never was and never will be. all you are going to achieve is create undrivable track car fast only on straightaways or a 'parking lot queen' to brag about (hence the source of my previous comment). there are few well engineered cars on prime that have 500hp AND are capable on the track but they took years of TRACK testing to create with brakes, suspension and chassis mods that will blow just about anyones budget. and the last thing people want to see is a 'street racer' in a nsx- if thats your thing, more power to you, just don't be surprised at comments you get, we have problems staying 'under the radar' as is, lol.
finally, speaking of nsx holding value better than m3- this only applies to non-modified, clean cars. you will never get your money out of a heavily modded one.

i am not trying to elicit a comment, just attempting to clear few things up for sake of future posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to break it to you but perhaps the M5 and the IS-F weren't even trying.
There's no way your 03 NSX with just headers and exhaust can keep up with those cars.

NONE.

On the contrary, they were trying soo hard that the M5 only had exhaust the first time we raced and came back the following week after installing Haltech and tuning, only to find out that now he would loose by not 1+ cars but that he now stays on my rear bumper. ISF actually ran me 3 times since he couldn’t believe it! I’m more than certain they were trying! Here's the full list of my mods:

Cantrell Header
Cantrell Exhaust
2.25" Test Pipes
SOS BBTB
Uni Filter & Fender Scoop
Weight reduction (official weight is at 2,880lbs)

Dont underestimate the power of your NSX:biggrin:

maybe 'snakey' can chime in...;)

just an observation, the reason you are getting flak is that this forum is not like other ones out there. most of people here are serious enthusiasts that track their cars and purchased the nsx exactly for what it is. you only drove one for a bit and are assuming what it 'needs' based on straight-line performance when it is not a 1/4 mile car, never was and never will be. all you are going to achieve is create undrivable track car fast only on straightaways or a 'parking lot queen' to brag about (hence the source of my previous comment). there are few well engineered cars on prime that have 500hp AND are capable on the track but they took years of TRACK testing to create with brakes, suspension and chassis mods that will blow just about anyones budget. and the last thing people want to see is a 'street racer' in a nsx- if thats your thing, more power to you, just don't be surprised at comments you get, we have problems staying 'under the radar' as is, lol.
finally, speaking of nsx holding value better than m3- this only applies to non-modified, clean cars. you will never get your money out of a heavily modded one.

i am not trying to elicit a comment, just attempting to clear few things up for sake of future posts.

The fact that I'am a horsepower junkie and your a track junkie doesnt make you any more of an enthusiasts than I'am. I love fast cars whether it'd be for racing, or just enjoying the speed on my own.I drove the nsx and yea I liked it alot, and I dont ASSUME the nsx NEEDS anything, the car is perfect from factory.I'm not trying to build a turbo nsx for the 1/4 mile,nor will I be racing the car on the track. The nsx I would build is for me to enjoy, and have fun with, not to brag-if I wanted braggin rights I would shoot for trying to have the highest rwhp turbo nsx of all time-I can care less about that. I mod my cars to my likings-and my likings are a modded fast turbo car. I've owned 2 turbo cars in my past, and I now want another one. Having a fast turbo nsx is the best of both worlds.The car wont be a parking lot queen, nor will it be undrivable-tuned properly with the right amounts of boost in each gear it will be very drivable-

About your "street racer" comment, and how it is the last thing ppl want to see, again - it doesnt concern me. You can label me whatever you want to label me as, at the end of the day everyone lives their own lives and do things to make themselves happy NOT anybody else. I'm not a "street racer" nor do I try to race everyone and everything. I'm a normal guy who just likes fast cars, I mod my cars simple and clean and from the cars in my past, not one has been riced out, or considered a "street racer boy's car". Let's clarify that. Besides your pretty much putting a label on everyone who has a turbo kit on their nsx-so just cause you put a turbo kit on an nsx and what to make it fast your a "street racer boy" - I can easily call you a track whore-guys that are ALWAYS at the track-would that be right ? No, it wouldnt be. I respect and can appreciate everyones dreams and goals, and everyone has their own taste and mind sets for things and what makes them happy.

O3S2K,

I purchased my first NSX about 6 weeks ago with the specific intent to turbocharge so that I could enjoy it as a daily driven street car. I have done many turbo cars over the past 12 years and this is probably the most exciting project for me. I will never take it to the track for road racing, but will definitely hit the drag strip. This forum is different in that a few of the NSX owners are just eccentric opinionated people. I would say this is a plus because these cars are treated like Ferrari’s, which is why my 91 is so dang immaculate.

I once did a setup where we took a 93 RX7 and swapped the rotary for a 2L 4-banger with a turbo setup. We posted this on an RX7 forum and people reacted like we tried to burn down a church.<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\James\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->:eek: BTW, this was featured in Modified Magazine:wink: and ran 10.4@139.

My advice would be to buy the NSX if you like it and proceed with your plans. It is hard to get upset for people posting their opinions if the intent of your post was to solicit a response regarding your intentions.

Look for me in Charlotte as I will be the one giving the NSX the "street racer" image.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I wont be taking any of the cars to the track, nor quarter mile racing - street/highway racing would be more of my thing.

mind you i can only based my response on what YOU said, i didn't label anyone, not "everyone with a turbo kit". if you think i would go through the hassle of coming up with stuff to offend you then you are incorrect, wrong forum.
being a 'track whore' (can't say i am) is a great thing, nobody here would take offense, so thanks.

edit: i understand if you didn't quite mean what you described as 'street racing'.

anything that rolls and has enaugh power will 'do good at the drag strip'. nsx talents are far more diverse so to make it a drag car at great expense kinda defeats the purpose- might as well get a solid-axle mustang, you should know that by now (doc).

03s2k
by all means, get the car, do what you please with it, hopefully prime members will make money in the process. enjoy.

I've driven an NSX or two in my time as well as E39 and E60 m5s. An E39 would give a nsx a run for its money while I highly doubt a I/H/E equipped nsx could compete with an E60.

OP: road racing demands put a far greater strain on the oiling system and emphasizing oil starvation problems than the street or drag strip, even moreso for turbo applications. If you don't plan on tracking your car this isn't as great of a concern.

It isn't relevant to talk to n/a track people or even supercharged and lower hp turbo car guys. 600hp is FAR different than even 500whp. As is 500 from 400whp.

Don't talk to said people. Talk to people and shops who are turbocharging cars at your desired power levels, not people who have a dyno queen number but normally run 350-400whp.

Theirs a lot more to reliably running 500whp than making sure you have a 3.2 with metal head gaskets, even then its just a matter of time unless you 'get on it' every blue moon and typically drive it like a street car (which a lot of people do).

If you want to learn and develop things youself, which is expensive, by all means go for it. If not learn from others mistakes (those who actually drive their cars and push them at those power levels. Again, theirs a reason why most turbo cars have less than 500whp.

stuntman,
your educated quess please, what is the cost of 800 hp nsx upgrade with all the stuff necessary to make it reliable, safe with brakes and chassis that will handle it (minus cost of the car).

edit: the price should be 'as paid by customer', not a scenario when an experienced tech gets good deal on parts and does it himself.

thanks

actually the 3.0 is the better engine for boost...not the 3.2

500 is pretty easy to get and maintain...

some one asked a cost....not including the car...

LC pistons= $1000
install of pistons= varies...plan on $2500=$3500
Clucth= $1500
LoveFab or the like = 9000-15000
install of turbo = $2500

so for as low as $15000 plus the cost of the car you can have a 11, maybe 10 second car that does a 60-130 time in 6-7 seconds.....

to the OP...dont listen to half the people on here....if you look at my first post i said i was going to buy the car and turbo it....

man i was FLAMED...made fun of...told to grow up...go play with a civic...you name it

the problem with this forum, even more so that most is 99% of the people who post, post thier opinion. this opinion was formed by reading this forum, and postings of others opinions...who had little or no actually knowledge of what they speak of...trully "internet experts"

If you need help with you project let me know

marc

dumb comment

thats your opinion, get it?

edit: besides, i don't remeber telling the op to grow up, go play with civics or flame him and i asked about total cost of mods for reliable 800 hp setup which OP wants, not a weekend warrior, AND, most important, my comments were spurred by the 'street racing' situation and the high hp he wanted for that, not how much he wants to spend on a 500 hp turbo.

at least read carefully if you elect to single out my OPINION. funny how we both
(op and myself) managed to be respectful to each other, but i am sure you can generalize some more.

anything that rolls and has enaugh power will 'do good at the drag strip'. nsx talents are far more diverse so to make it a drag car at great expense kinda defeats the purpose- might as well get a solid-axle mustang, you should know that by now (doc).

03s2k
by all means, get the car, do what you please with it, hopefully prime members will make money in the process. enjoy.

and anything that rolls with enough money can beat your nsx at the track too.

O3S2K I say build your car any way you want and if people don't like it give them their due attention and simply ignore their silly little opinionated statements. There is always some holier then thou person that thinks he is someone to judge and really believes his opinion matters. If you want to build it to drag race,road race or for spirited street driving go for it. Its your car and your money.

I built mine to 528rwhp and do all of the above driving. I usually run it at 430rwhp on the street and during HPDE events to hopefully extend the life of my engine. I could have built mine for more power but I only wanted 500rwhp hoping that it would last. So far so good 9000 miles and running strong.

Good luck.

800 hp for street racing is a brilliant idea but i am the asshole now? whatever.

edit: obviously he is going to do whatever he wants, you think?

My opinion is that when newbies come on here and talk about how the want to mod the car before really owning one and appreciating the car for what it was intended, then it doesn't sit too well with people. The NSX is a very refined and well balanced machine. It was ahead of its time and proved to be very competitive against cars with much more HP.

Another sensitive subject here on Prime is talking about street racing in this forum. Of course you will do as you please, but if you post about it then expect to get some negative feedback. You asked what people think, and you got some opinions you didn't like. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

I think the NSX is a much more capable car than any M3. Whether or not you can slap a turbo on it and make huge HP numbers all depends on how much money you want to throw at it. In the end you will sacrifice reliability but to what extent remains to be seen. There are many turbo NSXs that have run some impressive 1/4 mile times and dyno numbers. What you don't hear is how much was spent to get there and how long they last.

I was a newbie when I came here and so was 01blacks4. We are both logging plenty of miles with excellent reliability. 01blacks4 has even pushed it to 650rwhp. I spent a good deal of money on mine but I know it can be done for much less if you DIY and know what you are doing like 01blacks4.

turbo guys are taking this discussion as a personal attack at their modifications (which is not the intent) when you forget that the original point was to make a reliable 800 hp (not 500 which is attainable via several kits here, we know, for about $15-20k) car for street racing, of all things, under a certain budget while maintaining or increasing the value of the car over time and all that after driving the car twice. you all know that all these points cannot be accomplished simultaneously nor they should be for the perceived purpose he stated. i have respect fot 03s2k for being level headed and explaining few things, maybe his street racing comment wasn't what he meant, neverless his goals far exceed what most FI guys here accomplished. these discussions are worthless as each reply is taken out of context and taken as 'hollier than thou' attitude instead of 'think about it some more' .
after all this there is only one personal point i'd like to make, holly or not- no matter how much money you throw at this car (remember he wan't to sell the m3 as it is dropping in value- so the nsx is somewhat an investment) to make it fast in 1/4 mile, all it will take is a snot nosed kid in a beat-up 5.0 mustang with $5k engine to put it all to rest. all of you know this.
forgive me, thats just my 'internet opinion' i learned here in the last 5 minutes.

turbo guys are taking this discussion as a personal attack at their modifications (which is not the intent) when you forget that the original point was to make a reliable 800 hp (not 500 which is attainable via several kits here, we know, for about $15-20k) car for street racing, of all things, under a certain budget while maintaining or increasing the value of the car over time and all that after driving the car twice. you all know that all these points cannot be accomplished simultaneously nor they should be for the perceived purpose he stated. i have respect fot 03s2k for being level headed and explaining few things, maybe his street racing comment wasn't what he meant, neverless his goals far exceed what most FI guys here accomplished. these discussions are worthless as each reply is taken out of context and taken as 'hollier than thou' attitude instead of 'think about it some more' .
after all this there is only one personal point i'd like to make, holly or not- no matter how much money you throw at this car (remember he wan't to sell the m3 as it is dropping in value- so the nsx is somewhat an investment) to make it fast in 1/4 mile, all it will take is a snot nosed kid in a beat-up 5.0 mustang with $5k engine to put it all to rest. all of you know this.
forgive me, thats just my 'internet opinion' i learned here in the last 5 minutes.
+1

Just like any thread, topic, or forum, prople will take comments as personal attacks. Misinterpretation is part of the means of communication. Like I said earlier, it would be better to ask those who have been there and done that than talk to people who have no FI experience or experience at said power level. In addition to my last post, there is a difference between pulling 600whp once compared to continuously running at that level.

I don't recall any thread where the negative comments of people changed the mind of someone who wanted to street race. I find those comments more of a vent of anger than affective at changing the outlook of that person. If someone is going to street race or do anything for that matter, I don't believe a complete stranger has any impact on that.

It is pretty understood at what it takes to make 4-500whp. Can be done by said tubo kits and has been done often on stock motors. Make sure the tuner knows what he's doing because a bad tuner can grenade any motor and the NSX motor has its quirks and you dint want someone to 'learn' on your dollar.

OP: for your street/drag application, you can run 4-500whp, meth, or whatever you want and be fine for a while. Keep in mind the demands are much lower on a daily driver with occasional short bursts a few times a day or less than continuous beating on it and 'boosting' when you are driving it. If you will rarely get on it, it will last longer.

As far as prices go, I didn't see labor rates calculated in there for pulling a motor (pricey), for a standalone ecu, bigger injectors, intercooler, larger fuel pump, or many other components.

Making 800whp reliably is pretty darn pricey. Sure those M3s have a dynoqueen number that looks amazing, but its a similar situation that you find in the nsx, it won't last. You can throw a big laggy turbo on anything with LC pistons, ice the IC and lay down a good number. That's far different than actually running at that level. If you want a narrow powerband like a supra, throw a huge turbo on it, and if that's what you want, don't let anyone stop you.

Doing the motor properly is expensive, from a billet crank with larger rod journals to handle the power, to forged pistons and rods, to billet main caps and oil pump, valves, springs and retainers, fuel injectors and pump, air/water inter and aftercooler, tank, pump, clutch, and much more.

You can always email me to get a price quote on the components we run in our Time Attack race NSX and what it takes to attain your goals.

Also keep in mind you always end up spending A LOT more on any car project than you originally intend. But you can reduce/eliminate huge mistakes by learning more upfront from those who already accomplished what you are looking to do.

Billy
[email protected]

Check out "Project NSX" by FXMD and MotoIQ under the 'builds' thread section to see the build of a 800-1000hp capable car. Sofar there is only one part: Building the Bulletproof Transmission.

Back