• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on lowering the NSX

I have a hard time with excessive wheel fender gap it doesn't belong on a performance car or any car in my opinion.
Thinking of lowering mine although I am worried about clearance. I read somewhere that the lower front bumper has 5 inches of ground clearance stock.
What are your thoughts on lowering the the NSX? Anyone done it that can chime in?

The excessive fender gap is not ideal for a sports car. The car at stock height is already a challenge to get in and out of certain driveways unscathed with the stock ground clearance. Lowering it will increase the risk of damage. Definitely get the SOS skid plates (even at stock height) but I would think it is a must on a lowered car.

The unknown is whether lowering the car will cause the tires to catch/damage the fenders like it did on the gen1 NSX or S2000. Perhaps someone else can chime in on whether that can occur.

If you don't want to spend alot and just want to lower a tad, you can always keep the OEM springs and install bilstein shocks (and set them @ the lower perch). Some examples of how it looks like.

If you want to lower more, and find that perfect ride height- go with full coilovers.

This is G2, G :)

Get a really fat person to sit in passenger seat.

Eibach is in pre release for a spring setup. Should be released in March. Will keep you posted they are test fitting a car next week.

you should take a poll of owners, who see and use the car often .I would predict that the factory stance would be preferred.

you should take a poll of owners, who see and use the car often .I would predict that the factory stance would be preferred.

You are probably correct. Even though a lowered car appeals to me aesthetically it definitely suffers functionally.
I had a F355 that I'd lowered to a 3 inch ground clearance, I had to mentally map out every route I took in order avoid speed bumps, steep entry ways to gas stations and the like. As a result I found myself not driving the car the much.
The perfect solution might be the new iLift coming from Science of Speed this Thursday.

i would say that the factory engineered fender gap exists for very good reason. number one being functionality...

You are probably correct. Even though a lowered car appeals to me aesthetically it definitely suffers functionally.
I had a F355 that I'd lowered to a 3 inch ground clearance, I had to mentally map out every route I took in order avoid speed bumps, steep entry ways to gas stations and the like. As a result I found myself not driving the car the much.

as you just stated above, lowering an already low car seems rather dysfunctional. i bought my 2002 NSX (already) lowered an inch and promptly raised it back to stock ride height. it was hopeless driving it lowered...

If you want to lower the car, you might as well get the SoS iLift system. You can set a lower suspension point so you kill two birds. And killing more birds is definitely a good idea. Birds suck, especially stupid and lazy ones who can't bother to fly above the traffic.

Last edited:
Lowering it may look cool, but will only cause trouble long run. I lowered my r8 and it did not drive any better and I ended up blowing out the mag shocks. Acura spends millions figuring this stuff out so leave it alone.

Lowering it may look cool, but will only cause trouble long run. I lowered my r8 and it did not drive any better and I ended up blowing out the mag shocks. Acura spends millions figuring this stuff out so leave it alone.

^^^This^^^
I scrape the front "splitter" on my driveway approach, any lower would be disastrous...JM2C...I could be wrong...:tongue:

Back