• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for a New Battery

Ran the battery down low while fiddling with the new Audio Setup and testing Air Cup Compressor. Once charged over night on battery tender it started fine.

Just to double check, I ran down to the local automotive shop and they hooked up to their portable machine which says battery should be replaced.

Wondered what folks are doing these days (November 2018) for battery replacement.

I would love to get a battery that is slightly lighter weight than what is in there now.

I am trying to not spend more than necessary (Under $150 ish).

And I do not wish to have to spend additional monies on expensive new strap down mechanism if possible.

Your recommendation on what battery you would purchase and where to purchase from for best price.

AS an FYI, I am in Seattle.

Thanks

interstate

don't over think this. go with the automatic transmission version of the battery. group 24F A bit larger, but with more capacity and higher cranking amp potential. My car can sit for weeks and it fires right up. Your dealer should be able to provide it or really anyone with the standard group 24F can provide as well.
If you want to save weight, leave your passenger at home.

Last edited:
don't over think this. go with the automatic transmission version of the battery. group 35 A bit larger, but with more capacity and higher cranking amp potential. My car can sit for weeks and it fires right up. Your dealer should be able to provide it or really anyone with the standard group 35 can provide as well.
If you want to save weight, leave your passenger at home.

Hi Warrenw
After much thought, I went ahead and bought the 35 and also the automatic version (2 batteries). I will try to install the automatic version first.

Figured it would be best to never get stranded on the side of the road due to a dead battery.

The automatic transmission battery is larger than the manual one.
Since I need to remove my air compressor tank which is located in the spare tire compartment, I am trying to do it once and do it right.

Wondering if I need any special tie down mechanism to accommodate the bigger sized battery?

Me always being the late one to the party, I've found what I believe is one of the best batteries for the NSX: Bosch AGM S6, Group 35, Part Number S6523B. My can tends to drain a battery when sitting for a couple weeks at a time (clock, keyless entry, govt GPS tracking device, etc) so after going through a few of the Lithium Iron 6lb batteries I decided to get one that would last - and this this has been a gem. Plenty of power, awesome warranty and fits the battery box and tie down, positive post on the right as it should be. I got mine on sale at Pep Boys a year ago for $185.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/a...s/s6-high-performance-batteries?partId=S6523B

Me always being the late one to the party, I've found what I believe is one of the best batteries for the NSX: Bosch AGM S6, Group 35, Part Number S6523B. My can tends to drain a battery when sitting for a couple weeks at a time (clock, keyless entry, govt GPS tracking device, etc) so after going through a few of the Lithium Iron 6lb batteries I decided to get one that would last - and this this has been a gem. Plenty of power, awesome warranty and fits the battery box and tie down, positive post on the right as it should be. I got mine on sale at Pep Boys a year ago for $185.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/a...s/s6-high-performance-batteries?partId=S6523B

Thanks for that:biggrin::biggrin:

I did the simple thing. Went down to my local Acura dealer where they let me test drive the new NSX and bought a new battery from them. Works just fine, but we'll see in a few years - and it is blue, how exciting can that be?

I upgraded from the OEM 35 to a Group 24F battery that is larger, but has almost 200 more CCA. Motor fires up much faster so that I'm wearing out the starter less.

Sure there is more weight, but since it's in the front and sits low, it doesn't worry me.

I just did this and the engine does start a lot faster. The 24F is only marginally larger and not much heavier, and it's the battery for the automatic cars so it's still OEM. Im thinking everything else electrical may work a little better too, we'll see. Good call BATMANs, thanks!

I just did this and the engine does start a lot faster. The 24F is only marginally larger and not much heavier, and it's the battery for the automatic cars so it's still OEM. Im thinking everything else electrical may work a little better too, we'll see. Good call BATMANs, thanks!

Good to hear.

Last I recall the 24F has around 200~ more CCA. That's a lot!

One of my mods when I get a new car in the stable is to put the largest battery with the most CCA in there. That's one part of me that is not a weight weenie.

Good to hear.

Last I recall the 24F has around 200~ more CCA. That's a lot!

One of my mods when I get a new car in the stable is to put the largest battery with the most CCA in there. That's one part of me that is not a weight weenie.

Additional benefit - the window motors and seat motors work faster too :smile:

Mine died at the track last weekend. It was an Interstate MTP-35 and was in the car when I bought it in Denver. As it still had some warranty on it, I got a new LMT-24F, all in and done for under $98 with the core exchange and replacement warranty. And it really isn't that much longer than the 35 series. Fits easy. I went directly to an Interstate store.

My poor old Shorai finally gave up, found it at on the shelf @ 10.5 volts, charged it up to ~ 13 and it drained on the shelf back to low 11s with no load.
I had never seen this before....
I decided after reading more about Li-On I would go back to the stone age with a traditional battery.
Local acquaintance Ed (nsxbuilder) suggested the Bosch group 35 battery earlier in the thread, and I thought I would check it out.
Well Bosch seems to only be sourced via Pepboys locally.
I checked this out:
https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platinum-series-agm-battery-group-size-35/product/838876?quantity=1
This is the Platinum series AGM - Absorbed Glass Mat battery. Price was listed at $194.
Order online and get a 25% discount at Pepboys.
Also Pepboys has a $40 rebate now.
Additional perks is 4 year full warranty - not pro rated.
And 3 year free road side jump card.
I believe there is pro-rating after the 4 years.
This is in my car now. I will miss the little Li-On battery, but have the (presumed) security on this new buy.
Good luck & don't get stuck on the side of the road.

Al

Hey Al - yes that's the one I got and its a better way to go than conventional...and the Shorai. Look at this:

IMG_6511.jpg

I was using their charger and it blew up on my bench.

I contacted Shorai tech support and they sent me a quote from their warranty that if you use it in an automotive application the warranty is void. No sorry, no nothing. Sadly, I like this battery when it works but that was my third and I'm done with them...and it would be awesome if they had a customer service attitude.

My choice is the Odyssey PC925T ($180).

H-

Back