• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

timing belt and tappet service.

Hey all.

I am just wondering where to get a couple of things done to my NSX, tappet adjustment and timing belt to be precise.

If any of you could post up or pm me on where you have gone and roughly how much you paid for both or either of these jobs that would be fantastic, and any extra info on how you where treated, where you satisifed etc. would be great.

As a 3rd year apprentice mechanic I could probably do these jobs myself, but I do not have the confidence to do it, this early in my mechanical career, especially on my own pride and joy.

Thanks,
Brendan.

Hi Brendan,

I was planning on doing a write up on what I had recently done at Honda Brighton as I was thoroughly happy with what they did, they loved my car and it showed.

I bought most of my parts from the US.

I bought my timing belt from the US. I also got the alternator belt and air con belt which I would suggest should be done at the same time.

I had much more than this done at Honda Brighton including the valve adjustment so the cost of my labour alone was quite high and not indicative of what you want done.

But Honda Brighton all the way......big thanks to Tony and Anthony who have been there since the days when our cars just came out.

G'day Brendon

Also had mine done by Honda Brighton and could not fault there work.I am a qualified mechanic but as age has sneaked up with me I decided to have someone else to do my work for the first time ever since I started my apprenticeship which was 46 years ago.I recommend you do timing belt,idler bearing,water pump,tappets,alternator and a/con belts,rocker cover gaskets at the same time.(spark plugs if required)

Hope this is some help

Regards
Greg

G'day Brendon

Also had mine done by Honda Brighton and could not fault there work.I am a qualified mechanic but as age has sneaked up with me I decided to have someone else to do my work for the first time ever since I started my apprenticeship which was 46 years ago.I recommend you do timing belt,idler bearing,water pump,tappets,alternator and a/con belts,rocker cover gaskets at the same time.(spark plugs if required)

Hope this is some help

Regards
Greg

Also consider the coolant hoses.......especially 6 main ones. I had all my 22 hoses replaced.

As Greg mentioned, I had belts, water pump, water pump cover, rocker cover gaskets, spark plugs (with gaskets), 12 valve cover washers done.

In addition, I had the Crankshaft pulley replaced since they had the belts off (rare cases where timing belt has jumped due to this part failed).

Thermostat

Fuel Filter

Get your master clutch cylinder checked..............mine was gone so I had my slave also replaced.

My only addition not maintenance related were aftermarket headers......since they had the engine dropped a little....didn't cost much extra. :)

By the way, I'll post up a separate thread this weekend with pics. The coolant hoses looked really good for it's age. The timing belt was also pretty good considering it's 11 years old.

Thanks for the reply guys, Brighton Honda was the first place I called in regards to my tappets, but they quoted me roughy $1000.00 for the tappets alone, which I thought was a bit steep considering I paid under $200.00 to get them adjusted when i owned my s2000, I Looked forward to seing your write up about when your nsx was serviced there.

Re: SOS engine

Thanks for the reply guys, Brighton Honda was the first place I called in regards to my tappets, but they quoted me roughy $1000.00 for the tappets alone, which I thought was a bit steep considering I paid under $200.00 to get them adjusted when i owned my s2000, I Looked forward to seing your write up about when your nsx was serviced there.

thats why i dont take my car to honda for repairs.
Too expensive!
One of the guys working on my car now is a v8 supercar mechanic and he's alot cheaper than honda.

Lol... Welcome to NSX ownership!!!

I've always reckoned that the three letters NSX always add a two to the front or a zero at the end of a bill!

Hey Brendan,

Did you end up taking your car to the shop yet? If not, there's a brand new timing belt on sale at the NSXPrime marketplace. Hopefully you can save some money this way.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/classifie...ter-pump-kit-w-timing-belt-covertensioner-228

Hey mate, thanks for the link, i sent them a message about a week ago asking for a complete price incl. shipping but still havent heard back from them, might have to send them another one. Thanks for your help.

Back