• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belt change

Hi all.
Planning to get the timing belt replaced and was wondering what else should be done:

- water pump
- check valve clearance
- A/C and alternator belts

Car has done 135,000 k's.

Cheers.

This job will be labor heavy. In CAD it ran me close to $2400 but that's for all the items you've listed as well as the tune-up (our $ is very similar in value). Have the throttle body cleaned out too. At that Ks you might as well if it hasn't been done while you've owned the car. Make sure they use a spray that's approved for use. I believe you have an NA1 based on your profile pic. Mine's is a 2003 NA2. The MAF is located in the throttle body in mine so the tech would have to be careful which cleaners is used. By the way (off topic) I was in OZ last year November. Have lots of family in Melbourne and Sydney. Awesome country dude...I was especially hooked on Sydney. Visited Gold Coast, Cairns (barrier reef area) and Uluru while there. OZies r really lucky to have such a beautiful country...and beautiful women!

I'd also replace:

Filters, (fuel, oil, air)
Oil
Sparkplugs
And inspect your crankshaft pulley before you put on the new belt and tensioner.

I don't know what service history of the car looks like,
But you should also check tires and brake & transmission fluids.
Inspecting the brakes is a few minute job.

Hi

This is what I have done recently, so this list might help you

VALVE COVER GASKETS
2 - VALVE COVER GASKET
6 - TUBE SEAL
12 - WASHER, HEAD COVER

VTEC GASKET SET
2 - FILTER ASSY, SPOOL VALVE
2 - FILTER ASSY, SOLENOID
2 - OIL PRESS SWITCH O-RING

CAMSHAFT GASKET SET AND PLUGS
4 - CAM PLUG or SOS Billet cam plugs
4 - CAM SEAL - OIL SEAL, 29X43

BELTS AND WATER PUMP

1 - TIMING BELT and TIMING BELT COVER
1 - WATER PUMP
1 - ALTERNATOR BELT
1 - A/C BELT

OTHERS, SEALS AND CRANK PULLEY,
1 - CRANK SEAL
1 - ATI CRANK PULLEY/ NEW KEY LOCATOR FOR CRANK PULLEY
6 - IRIDIUM PLUGS

If you decide with OEM crank pulley, make sure you get Damper Pulley shield

While your half way there, and the mechanic drops the motor to do the service, I would also do this

1 - Lost Motion Assist kit

Filters, Other Fluids excluding engine oil I usually do it every 40,000kms or 2 years regardless of kms

Engine oil, every 3 months, Oil filter every 6 months cause I dont do enough kms

Last edited:
I had my third belt done at Damelians March 2010 at around 135k klms on my 91 model.
The labour charge including valve clearances was $580 plus $230 for the belt.
They also claimed the crank angle sensor was "melting" and recommended it be replaced. It did look dodgy when I inspected it. That cost $420 plus $223.68. Probably worth your while having it looked at at least, my car has has a very pampered life, resides in a cool area and has had negligible track work. Car still has the original water pump.
Including a service this all cost $2600. I remember paying $3500 to have belts done on my Porsche 928S so still think the NSX is incredibly cheap and reliable to own.
Out of curiosity I checked the previous time this was done - April 2003 at 117klms. "replace all V belts, timing covers and timing belt" $633 plus $179. I'll check the cost of the first change too.
Gos NSX30L

I had my third belt done at Damelians March 2010 at around 135k klms on my 91 model.
The labour charge including valve clearances was $580 plus $230 for the belt.
They also claimed the crank angle sensor was "melting" and recommended it be replaced. It did look dodgy when I inspected it. That cost $420 plus $223.68. Probably worth your while having it looked at at least, my car has has a very pampered life, resides in a cool area and has had negligible track work. Car still has the original water pump.
Including a service this all cost $2600. I remember paying $3500 to have belts done on my Porsche 928S so still think the NSX is incredibly cheap and reliable to own.
Out of curiosity I checked the previous time this was done - April 2003 at 117klms. "replace all V belts, timing covers and timing belt" $633 plus $179. I'll check the cost of the first change too.
Gos NSX30L

Crank angel sensors often look like there are melting on a C-Series Honda engines it isn't a problem there even is a official Honda service bulletin acknowledging it to be common and just fine not needing replacement.

Back