• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belt questions! Replaced or not

Hi, I recently bought the nsx 1991, it has 56,xxx miles, but I"m not sure if it is the original mileage. the car runs good. But not sure if the timing belt and water pump was done in the past. There is no record. What is the best way to check if the timing belt still good or not? any info would help.thanks

Last edited:
The other option is to call around local Acura dealers in the area where the car was sold and see if they have maintenance on car by giving them the vin #. Long shot but if the car was service at the local dealers, I think a lot of the dealers keep at least 7 year record. Good luck

Basically, if you see a metal tube slightly sticking out of the timing belt cover, the water pump has been changed at some point in time. More than likely the timing belt was done at the same time. That doesn't confirm how long ago though. There is a time interval of 6-7 years I believe

Last edited:
The car is 23 years old. The timing belt is recommended being changed every 7 years.
Based on age alone It should have been changed 3 times.

What is the cost of a timing belt failure?

Nsx isn't a Camery has an interference motor. Timing belt goes and it will burn a nice hole into your wallet. Although I think this is rare.

When I change the timing belt I always right on the timing belt cover the date and millage. May want to look for this.
I'll also note it in the owners manual/maintenance log.

I have seen service records on a car fax report. Not sure if all dealers log it?

Later,
Don

Hi, I recently bought the nsx 1991, it has 56,xxx miles, but I"m not sure if it is the original mileage. the car runs good. But not sure if the timing belt and water pump was done in the past. There is no record. What is the best way to check if the timing belt still good or not? any info would help.thanks

As noted above, the NSX timing belt is a mileage OR time based interval. While your 1991 NSX is well within the 90,000 mile interval for the belt, it is WAY beyond the 7-year limit. The timing belt is made out of rubber, which hardens and cracks with age. The internal cords are made out of nylon, which also hardens and cracks with age. That is why Honda said no longer than 7 years. There is no way to tell if a timing belt is going bad, other than visible damage to the belt. I have seen several snapped belts (on both NSX's and Integras) that look perfectly fine. A timing belt failure will more than likely destroy your $25,000 engine, or at the very least result in some expensive head work. I strongly recommend you find a good tech and have the standard belt and water pump service done. Should cost about $1,500. The NSX is a very reliable sports car, but you need to follow the maintenance schedule to keep it that way.

I had my water pump & timing belt changed last summer on my 1991 with 26K original miles. The belt looked 100% perfect. I'm glad I had both changed though because now I have some peace of mind and can run it to 8,000 RPM's and smile!

are there two timing belt or just one?

I'm planning to change timing belt/water pump, valve cover gasket, cam plugs vtec gasket, anything else?thanks

Just one. It would also be a good time to change out the alternator belt, a/c belt, spark plugs and coolant hoses if they haven't been done previously.

Back