• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TIMING BELT So-cal pricing.

We are setting the price for our complete nsx timing belt maintanice job.

Just wanted to get a feel of how much people are paying for their timing belt service. I have read prices from 1400-2300$ I got a quote from our local Acura dealer for 2359$

Currently we are shooting for a complete timing belt service with all OEM NEW Honda parts which include, water pump, timing belt, tensioner pully and complete quick one day turn around for about $1200 + tax.

We wanted to work with the so cal community to come up with a price that is reasonble for both the customer and the tech doing the work. we would like your input. :smile:

Last edited:
We are setting the price for our complete nsx timing belt maintanice job.

Just wanted to get a feel of how much people are paying for their timing belt service. I have read prices from 1400-2300$ I got a quote from our local Acura dealer for 2359$

Currently we are shooting for a complete timing belt service with all OEM NEW Honda parts which include, water pump, timing belt, tensioner pully and complete quick one day turn around for about $1200 + tax.

We wanted to work with the so cal community to come up with a price that is reasonble for both the customer and the tech doing the work. we would like your input. :smile:

Why not replace all the other belts for parts cost as well. In any case that would seem pretty reasonable to me.

A/C and Alternator is included ofcourse.

Head cover gaskets / spark plug gasket depending on condition can be inspected and reused (honda factory recommended TB procedure)

If they are in good condition like the NSX we are working on right now, we'll retain the old ones. If they show any sign of cracking or needs replacement, we'll replace it.

We can either use Honda or one of your choosing. owned 4 nsxs and havent seen one with oem honda coolant in them yet. Personally i like the 5 year 100K orange coolant with water wetter.

price sounds good. can you give me a complete run down list of the parts and labor that will be included?

what shop are you representing and whats the info?

how much parts and labor to replace and oem clutch?

thanks

Not quite exactly on topic, but can anyone tell me what makes the Timing Belt job (and water pump, etc.) so expensive compared with a standard Honda or Acura.

Is it the parts costs, or the labor?

Thanks

Difference between standard honda engine and the NSX is the working room avaliable for the car.

your standard honda is a inline 4 clinder with very easy access to the timing belt covers. all you have to do is unbolt the engine mount, support the engine, unbolt the alternator, ac, power steering belts and your in business. The assembly is also easy since you only have one set of duel over head cams to line up with the timing mark on the crankshaft pully.

On the nsx, you have a V engine design with 2 sets of DOHC you have to line up. Its easier to make a mistake on those setups and be off a teeth or two...or three... so you gota know what your doing.

Also to get access to the Tbelt you gota unbolt 2x valve covers, 2x spark plugs and 6 ignition coils and just more stuff to take off.

Also its harder to get to the plugs and bolts than just a inline 4 staring you right in the face when you pop the hood.

After you take that stuff off, you gota put the engine on a engine hoist and lift it 5 degrees to get access to remove the timing belt covers and brackets.

Engine costs 10X than your average honda engine, so one mistake here will cost 10X to repair.

Since the tech is taking on more risk and also taking on more hours to complete the job, the price goes up.

I can complete civic timing belt in about 1.5-2 hours. It takes many times longer than that on the nsx. Also the parts are more expensive. Parts along you would be looking at about 600-700$

last one is.... pay to play.

you cant own a japanese exotic and expect to pay civic prices for the TB service.

the ferrari 355 we have lined up for a 30K major service on has 1500$ in parts alone! no joke. thats what i get the parts for. Labor is rated at 22 hours, you have to pull the engine and change all gaskets.

usually dealers charge about 150-200$/hour to work on the ferrari so you 30K major service would come to a grand total of about 5-7K

I'll do the complete service for 4k and have not found anyone else doing it for the same price or even remotely close to it.

anyways, gota pay to play.

Shop im working for is

Speed Oracle Performance Garage
26516 Ruther Ave #211
Santa Clarita 91350
661-251-SOPG (7674)

for all the nsx owners in Van Nuys, San Fernando, Santa Clarita, Burbank, Ventura, TO, Simi and other 805, 818, 661 areas, you no longer have to wait weeks to drive down to Long Beach to get your car worked, dynoed or tuned. we are only 10 minutes from the 5, 405 and the 210.

We have quick turn around and are local.

Im also a long time nsx owner and will treat your car with the anal detail i give to mine.

Last edited:
Difference between standard honda engine and the NSX is the working room avaliable for the car.

your standard honda is a inline 4 clinder with very easy access to the timing belt covers. all you have to do is unbolt the engine mount, support the engine, unbolt the alternator, ac, power steering belts and your in business. The assembly is also easy since you only have one set of duel over head cams to line up with the timing mark on the crankshaft pully.

On the nsx, you have a V engine design with 2 sets of DOHC you have to line up. Its easier to make a mistake on those setups and be off a teeth or two...or three... so you gota know what your doing.

Also to get access to the Tbelt you gota unbolt 2x valve covers, 2x spark plugs and 6 ignition coils and just more stuff to take off.

Also its harder to get to the plugs and bolts than just a inline 4 staring you right in the face when you pop the hood.

After you take that stuff off, you gota put the engine on a engine hoist and lift it 5 degrees to get access to remove the timing belt covers and brackets.

Engine costs 10X than your average honda engine, so one mistake here will cost 10X to repair.

Since the tech is taking on more risk and also taking on more hours to complete the job, the price goes up.

I can rip out a civic timing belt in about 1.5-2 hours. It takes many times longer than that on the nsx. Also the parts are more expensive. Parts along you would be looking at about 600-700$

last one is.... pay to play.

you cant own a japanese exotic and expect to pay civic prices for the TB service.

the ferrari 355 im going to do a 30K major service on has 1500$ in parts alone! no joke. thats what i get the parts for. Labor is rated at 22 hours.

usually dealers charge about 150-200$/hour to work on the ferrari so you 30K major service would come to a grand total of about 5-7K

I'll do the complete service for 3.5K which is a steal.

anyways, gota pay to play.

Thanks for the explanation. It's very clear now. Another question though...

I'm not trying to pry into the repair business, but do you guys make much profit on parts?

I'm asking 'cause I've got a couple of relatives who work at American Honda and can get parts a little below dealer cost. Obviously that would save me a lot of money, but I wouldn't request something like that if parts were a high profit item to the repair shop. I don't want to hurt your business.

parts we have a little markup. HONDA is the one making bank off the parts.

The discounts we get is about 5-10% below retail. The Valencia Honda dealership is so stingy! Honestly, this is the most stingest dealership i have ever talked to. Sometimes they dont even give discounts.

If you can get your hands on factory OEM parts or have family or friends in Honda/Acura, go for it! bring it over and we'll just do labor! :wink:

If you can get parts cheaper than we can, i would like to get it through you :D

We will not use aftermarket parts, used parts or damaged parts. All parts must be in original Honda wrapping and sealed. Since we warrantee our labor, we cant accept sub-part parts.

i think the prices im offer is very reasonble for both the owners and also in terms of compensation for the tech. always was blow away by the silly prices other people where charging for nsx TB and other work.

can you give me a list of what rediculous prices everyone else is asking? :tongue:

im very interested in the competition down in long beach. i wont even mention the dealer prices. they are just stubid.

for the FI guys, can you PM me the prices you paid for labor and tuning for your SC.

Speaking of FI, will you also do the belt and oil change on the superchargers? I do need a major service...but I'm in San Diego, so my option is GreenLight or head north to AutoWave. I have friends/family in Ventura, so I'm actually looking for the best deal and one stop shop that could pull it off on a Saturday.

Hi there

We can do the belt on the SC and oil change on the SC also.

There will be an addition cost for the SC setup but not by much. We'll throw in a free dyno after the TB as been done so you have a baseline run for all your upgrades to come.

Im sure our prices are well worth the detour.

You can give us a call to setup an appointment or you can PM me and give me the details of the service required. We'll need to find a Saturday when our scheduel allows us to wrench all day on your motor.

Acturally we are looking for a NSX who wants their A/F tuned to 11.5:1 with APEXI setup and water injection. If you already have the AEM setup up would be more than happy to give anyone a brake on the labor of the AFC and water injection install and tune. You would net about 10-20 extra HP at the wheels.

Last edited:
A/C and Alternator is included ofcourse.

Head cover gaskets / spark plug gasket depending on condition can be inspected and reused (honda factory recommended TB procedure)

If they are in good condition like the NSX we are working on right now, we'll retain the old ones. If they show any sign of cracking or needs replacement, we'll replace it.

We can either use Honda or one of your choosing. owned 4 nsxs and havent seen one with oem honda coolant in them yet. Personally i like the 5 year 100K orange coolant with water wetter.

I disagree with reusing headcover/spark plug gasket if someone is spending that kind of time and money why would you risk usng old gaskets and seals I understand what the service manual states to replace when leaking or deteriorated, my point being is why risk a comeback and an upset client returning for an oil leak that could have been prevented. My 91 nsx has 355,000 miles on it and has only seen honda fluids and parts still runs strong and the motor has never been apart other than normal service. I like the competative pricing!!!

we understand your prespective.

most of the time the seals are perfect if taken off with care. If it even has the hint of any problems, we will not think twice about replacing the part. We do not over sell/add-on/charge the customer for work does not need to be done or parts that does not need replacing.

Also all TB gets a free dyno run. :biggrin:

spread the good word.

Ron, thanks for extending this offer for all of us in SoCal! I know Ron personally and can tell you he's a standup guy. :cool:

Any updates has anyone taken advantage of the great pricing and what was your impression of work and service. I need input if you dont wont to post send a PM or email at; [email protected]

Sounds very reasonable. Even worth driving from Arizona when the time comes to have this done...

[QUOTE=RON98;

Rob's a good guy....I can definitely say that. :smile: So you guys up there are lucky to have a nsx tech up there.

Back