• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt/Water Pump Clarification

I have done a search and couldn't find an answer to this one, but if this subject has been discussed at length I apologize in advance:

Just became the proud owner of a 97 NSX-T (of course) with 15K miles that went into service in 8/98. The car is apparently not in need of a timing belt replacement currently based on either Miles or time.

What I am curious about is the fact that the Acura maintenance schelule that came with the car lists the service interval as 105K miles or 84 months for both the Timing Belt and Water Pump. Everything I have been able to find on the Forum references 90K and 72 Months as the service Interval.

Was this a change when the engine was upgraded in 1997?

Thanks in advance to the Forum for your help.

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar)
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

Paul - Yes, Acura slightly extended the recommended interval for timing belt and water pump starting in 1997.

A few members spoke of their dealers stating Acura has eliminated the time intervals on the NSX, and recommend the mileage milestone; however, if your warranty has expired ... it gets you nothing. Do you feel lucky?

Nobody has been able to produce any documentation about the claimed elimination of time from the maintenance schedule. It sounds like BS, and it also seems very unlikely since rubber and some other things deteriorate over time.

Originally posted by Lud:
Nobody has been able to produce any documentation about the claimed elimination of time from the maintenance schedule. It sounds like BS, and it also seems very unlikely since rubber and some other things deteriorate over time.

I agree. I suspect that this claim came from an individual at one specific dealership. And a not particularly knowledgeable individual, at that.

The change in service interval can be based on many things. History, changes in materials, etc. I would NOT consider using this interval if I had a older car, keep to the original schedule. If it is a 1997 you should follow the interval stated for that year.

Also note that BOTH the miles and time have been extended, not miles only!!

JMHO,

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 13 January 2003).]

I wonder if all years have the same part number for the belt. If it is the same, so much about different longevities.

Hmmmmm ... Acura Carland calls out the same part number for 1993, 1997, and 2001
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=NSX&catcgry2=2001&catcgry3=2DR+NSX&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=CAMSHAFT-TIMING+BELT

This also raises the question, if I install a belt and drive my car 72 times at 50 miles each time over 6 years, is it time to replace with a belt that has been manufactured 6 years ago, and sitting on the shelf as long as the one on my NSX?

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 13 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Slingshot:
is it time to replace with a belt that has been manufactured 6 years ago, and sitting on the shelf as long as the one on my NSX?

No. Get your parts from a dealer that services a lot of NSXs and/or sells a lot of NSX parts, and the timing belt should be reasonably new.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 13 January 2003).]

Slingshot,

That is very interesting about the part number for the timing belt. I wonder if the part number was ever superseded in the cars history. If not, then they changed the interval based on experience.

I do remember when I bought my 1991 accord new the interval was 60K miles for a change. Before I got to that mileage, Honda changed it to 90K and it was applicable to my car, as in retro.

To play it safe with an NSX engine, I would still recommend sticking to the original interval that came with a specific year.

We are back to the same quandry: "Do you feel lucky?"

LarryB

I think Larry may be on to something here. First generation NSX's require a new timingbelt cover when you install an assembly, but prior to 96-97 they didn't. Late model NSX's don't require a new cover.

I thought that the plastic timing belt cover was required to be changed only if you changed your water pump which had a different bleed hole location(you could also just drill your old timing belt cover and re-install).........and this had nothing to do with the actual timing belt part.....as such its likely just "experience" that extends the replacement interval past 90,000 miles. I will continue to change mine at the old spec for peace of mind.

Back