• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belt, water pump done at 60K-when next?

J-H

Registered Member
When would you replace the timing belt, water pump (and cam seals) that were already done at 60K, again, on a NSX approaching 90K?

Seems to me there are (at least) two reasonable answers here, either replace them again at 120K, or at the 90K major service?

This is on a '93 very well maintained and regularly, but gently driven NSX.

J-H said:
When would you replace the timing belt, water pump (and cam seals) that were already done at 60K, again, on a NSX approaching 90K?

Seems to me there are (at least) two reasonable answers here, either replace them again at 120K, or at the 90K major service?
I'll give you a third answer (and you can decide for yourself whether it's reasonable).

Honda's recommendation for a '91-96 NSX is that the timing belt and water pump should be replaced after 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Whenever you have them replaced, the interval starts over again. In other words, you should replace them after you drive another 90K miles, or 6 more years pass, since the previous replacement (NOT since the car was new). Since yours was done at 60K, this means when your car hits 150K miles, or 6 years after the last replacement, whichever comes first. I don't think there is any need to do this work before you reach either interval (time or mileage).

nsxtasy said:
I'll give you a third answer (and you can decide for yourself whether it's reasonable).

Honda's recommendation for a '91-96 NSX is that the timing belt and water pump should be replaced after 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Whenever you have them replaced, the interval starts over again. In other words, you should replace them after you drive another 90K miles, or 6 more years pass, since the previous replacement (NOT since the car was new). Since yours was done at 60K, this means when your car hits 150K miles, or 6 years after the last replacement, whichever comes first. I don't think there is any need to do this work before you reach either interval (time or mileage).

Thanks, my bank account thinks your response is very reasonable, but the pilot part of the brain (that always likes to hear a smooth running motor) wants to be sure.

I suspect Honda knows what they are talking about with those recommended intervals.

When I read about all the "better than by the book" maintenance being done on some of the cars here, makes me think these folks must have great trusted shops doing the work.

I'm sometimes real nervous the first time I go flying after a mechanic has worked on my plane. Same thing would apply to the NSX...if I didn't really trust the shop.

J-H said:
Thanks, my bank account thinks your response is very reasonable, but the pilot part of the brain (that always likes to hear a smooth running motor) wants to be sure.
Does it help to know that I have a private certificate with ASEL, ASES, and glider ratings, and ~400 hours? ;)

nsxtasy said:
Does it help to know that I have a private certificate with ASEL, ASES, and glider ratings, and ~400 hours? ;)

Well, it does tell me that you're one of those pilots that_doesn't_ always want to hear a motor. :biggrin: I've done a few glider flights (not rated), great fun!

This NSX "over-maintenance" issue interests me as I carnut (and pilot) for the very reason that *unless* I trust the shop and mechanic-I'd just as soon not have work being done on my car (or plane) unless it's really needed.

That's the reason for the original question. I'm liking this client's NSX so much that if someone else doesn't buy it soon, I just may for personal car use.

I'd probably take it all the way from Stockton (80 miles) to Daly City and Don at Hilltop just because all the other work was done there, they seem to have a great reputation, and I'm a fanatic for good service and maintenance.

I like to keep my cars well maintained. I don't generally have maintenance performed more often than recommended, unless there is a specific reason for doing so (e.g. having fresh brake fluid in the car when doing track events). But I usually have things done as often as they are recommended. And I try to use places that I trust.

Isn't Niello Acura, in Sacramento, closer to you than Don's Hilltop (particularly when you take into account the need to drive through the city or around the bay to get to the latter)? I would trust Niello with my car, particularly since Bruce Pettite is back there again. Nothing against Don's, it's just a location thing; Niello and Don's both have excellent reputations for NSX service.

nsxtasy said:
I like to keep my cars well maintained. I don't generally have maintenance performed more often than recommended, unless there is a specific reason for doing so (e.g. having fresh brake fluid in the car when doing track events). But I usually have things done as often as they are recommended. And I try to use places that I trust.

Isn't Niello Acura, in Sacramento, closer to you than Don's Hilltop (particularly when you take into account the need to drive through the city or around the bay to get to the latter)? I would trust Niello with my car, particularly since Bruce Pettite is back there again. Nothing against Don's, it's just a location thing; Niello and Don's both have excellent reputations for NSX service.

I tend to want to follow the book on service and maintenance, no less, but no more either. Just as soon not have shops under the hood more than necessary.

Neillo would be half the driving time (or less) than Hilltop, for me. I'd probably rotate between the two, on occasion. Sometimes one shop catches things the other misses, and it's nice having at least two professionals both having a chance to properly service and maintain something as nice as a NSX.

A 80 mile drive is not far at all to drive for peace of mind. I myself go out of the way to make sure that someone I feel confident with is working on my car.

Back