• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belt

My 1991 has 14,000 miles and has not had the timing belt changed yet. I have a very good mechanic at a local Acura dealer who has done other work on my car, such as , changing engine and transmission oil, flushing and replacing coolant, and lubricating my window assemblies.He has done many timing belt replacements and tells me not to worry about changing mine. He told me recently that he has changed many timing belts as old as mine and with many more miles and the old belts look and feel as good as the new ones he is installing. He also told me he has never seen an NSX timing belt break. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by bjnz (edited 07 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by bjnz (edited 07 May 2002).]

I did a site search, and got back 127 results on "Timing Belt". A check of a few quoted the Owner's Manual, whereby the factory says 6 years or 90k miles, so you are well overdue. Others said, and I can verify the same, that you cannot just look at a timing belt, and tell its age, or how long it wil last, assuming no obvious trauma.

I have changed maybe 8 or 10 timing belts in various cars, and they all looked just great, with 75-90k miles on them, but I would not go any further on them than the factory recommendation, either miles or years.

I feel pretty certain that if I had read all of the 127 items from the search that I would have encountered at least one sad tale of belt breakage, and $1200 (estimated) with water pump is a lot better than a destroyed engine, so, IMHO, go ahead now.

Regards,

Bill

I was shown an example the other day at Basch Acura what exactly happens when the timing belt breaks. (Let's just say it's not pretty) ALL of the valves were stuck in the open position and the rods needed to be replaced. I would venture to quess that repairs would be in the $2-3,000 range. For that price you could have the service done with the waterpump AND have money left over for more mods.

As for your mechanic never having seen a timing belt break he should have worded it as he has never had to repair a broken timing belt before. It's not that it doesn't happen because it can. He's certainly not going to take responsibility for the repairs/damages if it DOES break due to age if you decide not to replace it.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night is what you should decide.

My $.02.

I went to the acura dealer in Kansas city to have my car looked over when i bought it and it has 60,000 on it and it is a 1991. I was going to have the timeing belt changed but they had a new service bulletin they just received and it upgraded the past service bulletin that said they are no longer putting a year limit on the timing belt but they are sticking with the 90,000 miles and they said mine was not do for the belt to be changed yet so they do not do it.I also sent mine to brookfield Wis acura to have some work done on it and they also did not change the timing belt and i told them to do everything that needed or called to be done at that time.

Originally posted by kevin Ratekin:

I was going to have the timeing belt changed but they had a new service bulletin they just received and it upgraded the past service bulletin that said they are no longer putting a year limit on the timing belt but they are sticking with the 90,000 miles

Figures, I just had mine done to the tune of $1600.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Hi,
Actually, my '94 is getting the timing belt service today. The cost is $1080 for the following service:
Replace timing belt
Replace water pump (revised weep hole)
Replace tensioner
Replace all drive belts

BTW, my NSX has ~48K miles on it.

Originally posted by whs520:
Hi,
Actually, my '94 is getting the timing belt service today. The cost is $1080 for the following service:
Replace timing belt
Replace water pump (revised weep hole)
Replace tensioner
Replace all drive belts

BTW, my NSX has ~48K miles on it.

You will sleep better than those who haven't done the 90K service even if you paid 1600 dollars.

I'd suggest change it ASAP my 92' had 30k on it when I did it.We did the waterpump at the same time and cost I remember was approx 1200.00.Well worth the ability to relax in my car (especially on a trip out of town)thats the car I go in usually ,or I fly.
CHANGE IT.
If you can afford the car you can afford to change it....

This is to MYNSX i was wondering if they gave you the old timing belt for you to inspect to see if you really needed to spend this money on have it done with only 30,000 miles on it.

Back