• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Decision, suggestions..

Hello all, I went to order some more Yokohama A520's today to find out they stopped making them. It's too bad, I thought it was a great tire for the money, even on my previous car. Anyways, I am leaning towards the Yoke AVS Sport. I run 225/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 on back currently. I really only need to replace the rear tires, but I don't want to mix n match so I am sure I will replace all. I have a 92' with SSR Integrals and I daily drive it. The AVS Sport seems to be a good bang for the buck, but suggestions from others who have actually driven an NSX with the 17/17 setup with different kinds types of tires would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just a quick note here to help you out while you're waiting for those experience reports to show up...

The AVS Sport is Yokohama's top-of-the-line performance tire. Its price and performance are slightly less than competing top-of-the-line performance tires such as the Bridgestone S-03 and Goodyear GS-D3. However, the AVS Sport is not available in the 225/40-17 front size that you mention, nor is it available in the 215/40-17 size that is the most commonly used size on NSXs with 17" front wheels. The following are a couple of alternative suggestions that offer the "bang for the buck" you seem to be looking for, that come in sizes that will fit the NSX nicely.

The A520 was Yokohama's value-oriented performance tire, meaning that it offers some good performance for those looking to spend less than for a top-of-the-line tire. I assume it has been discontinued because of the introduction of the AVS ES100 to Yokohama's line-up in that same role. So if the reasons you preferred the A520 are the typical ones - a desire for a lower-priced (and somewhat longer-lived) tire, along with a willingness to accept somewhat less performance than pricier, top-of-the-line tires, then you might be interested in considering the ES100. It is widely considered to be an outstanding value for the money. The 215/40-17 is $100/tire at the Tire Rack, and the 255/40-17 is $112 (compared with $150 for the AVS Sport in that size).

If you are looking for better performance than the ES100 and willing to spend slightly more than that, while trying to spend less than tires such as the S-03 and GS-D3, another tire worth considering is the Kumho Ecsta MX, which is Kumho's top-of-the-line performance tire. It does come in the NSX-friendly sizes of 215/40-17 ($102/tire) and 255/40-17 ($130).

There are lots of good tires on the market these days. Depending on what trade-offs you're willing to make, I'm sure there is a tire out there that will fit your needs (and sizes) perfectly. Hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Kumho Ecsta MX

Has anyone tracked the Kumho Ecsta MX tires? The guys at Tire Rack are very hot on this tire but I have not heard from an NSX driver who has put the tires on the track. I am wondering if it makes sense to run this tire or spend the extra and step up to SO-3's? I just looked at my fronts today and they are not long for this world and with two track days this month I am thinking April will be new tire month, not June like I planned.

Back