• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire recommendations please!

I am picking up a set of nice 18/19 Advans from a fellow primer and plan to run 215/35/18 fronts and 265/30/19 rears.

The tire choices I see are:

Falken FK453
Yoko S Drive
Sumitomo HTR ZIII
Conti Extreme Contact DWS (All Season)
Dunlop Direzza DZ101

This would be mostly for road driving (50-50 between easy driving vs. canyon carving) and very occasional track use.

Would like to hear input from fellow Primers. My car is a an NA1 coupe 5 speed with stock springs, Bilstein HD's. I am in California, so no snow/harsh winter issues.

Thank you.

avoid the direzza dz101's. i had them briefly and they were terrible,would give sort of a scary unsteady wiggle when you entered a turn quickly.i would generally look for some more high performance tires than those listed,but do not know specifically what is available in those sizes.

The Sumitomo HTR ZIII that you mention is by far the best-performing tire available in these sizes, and the only one I would even consider for track use. However, since your 18"/19" wheels are a newly-purchased set, another approach would be to get some stickier tires than the Sumitomo, and swap to your 17"/18" wheels for those days when you are going to the track. More specifically, you can get the Dunlop Direzza ZII or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, and they will give you better grip at the track than the Sumitomo tire. Then use the Sumitomo and the 18"/19" wheels for your daily driving the rest of the time.

makes sense - thanks

The Sumitomo HTR ZIII that you mention is by far the best-performing tire available in these sizes, and the only one I would even consider for track use. However, since your 18"/19" wheels are a newly-purchased set, another approach would be to get some stickier tires than the Sumitomo, and swap to your 17"/18" wheels for those days when you are going to the track. More specifically, you can get the Dunlop Direzza ZII or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, and they will give you better grip at the track than the Sumitomo tire. Then use the Sumitomo and the 18"/19" wheels for your daily driving the rest of the time.

That's what I do. The 18/19s are for street/daily driving and the 17/18 set are track only. I've been using the Kumho SPT for years on my 18/19 set, but it looks like they dropped the 215/35/18 sizing. Luckily I can still get the 275/30/19s for my rears. I'll probably be looking at the Sumitomo once the fronts (and rears) finally wear out.

avoid the direzza dz101's. i had them briefly and they were terrible,would give sort of a scary unsteady wiggle when you entered a turn quickly.i would generally look for some more high performance tires than those listed,but do not know specifically what is available in those sizes.

I agree with not going to the Dunlop DZ101's I had a set and hated them. I have the Dunlop Starspecs Z1's now and will get the Z2's once they are worn out.

I haven't used any of the other tires, so cant help you there.

Last edited:
Back