• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tires for NSX

I am thinking about buying a 95 NSX-T off a local seller and he needs new tires. My question is, what tires do you like the best? I went to tirerack.com and came up with this.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareFtRrMostPop.jsp?autoYear=1995&autoMake=Acura&autoModel=NSX&frontSortCode=45250&rearSortCode=50000&frontWidth=215/&rearWidth=245/&frontRatio=45& rearRatio=40&frontDiameter=16&rearDiameter=17&minSpeedRating=W&minLoad=null&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1

I am thinking about the Pilots. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Get the OEM tires - either the Yokohama A022H or the Bridgestone RE010, in the OEM sizes (215/45ZR16, 245/40ZR17). These tires are designed specifically for the NSX, and each one is designed for a specific corner of the NSX (e.g. left front tire). They have a built-in bias that works with the NSX alignment, as described in the FAQ here. They will maximize the crisp handling that the NSX is noted for.

Anyone really ought to try the OEM tires before trying anything else, so that you know what you're missing with other tires.

I totally agree with NSXTACY, OEM is the best. I would not even consider anything else.
I just received my Bridgstones RE010 from Tire Rack and each one has a label "For NSX use only" Each Tire is designed for each corner.

Cant wait to have it mounted....

[This message has been edited by spartan2-3 (edited 30 November 2002).]

I would agree that you should start with the OEM tires for the reasons nsxtasy has stated, and be sure to have it aligned properly to get it all back to spec since many people reduce camber and toe settings closer to zero.

That's not to say you won't later go with other tires for a variety of reasons, but you would do well to have the OEM baseline for comparison. I for one wouldn't claim that they offer better overall performance (as measured on a road race course) than some of the modern performance tires, but at anything less than 90% driving they do provide an unparalleled sense of precision.

Had the OEM originally but when I went to larger wheels, got the Pole Position SO3 mounted on SSR GT1 from Tirerack. Great tire and much better wear, quiet with good handling.

Originally posted by jorligan:
Had the OEM originally but when I went to larger wheels, got the Pole Position SO3 mounted on SSR GT1 from Tirerack. Great tire and much better wear, quiet with good handling.

My experiences with the S03 PP's aren't as pleasant as jorligan's to say the least, if you prefer to drive aggressively. About 2 months ago, I mounted them on my Honda S2000 with OEM rims, hoping to retain the same crisp handling and rock-solid feel the OEM S02's on S2k's are known for. To my disappointment, the ride quality is better and road noise is minimal, but at the expense of crisp/precise handling and excessive body roll. After 3 weeks of putting up with them I decided that enough is enough, so I returned them to The Tire Rack after my re-order for a set of S-02's arrived.

Now don't get me wrong, the S-03 PP's are great tires, depending on what one's applications are. For me, I drive canyon roads quite aggressively in my S2000 and they didn't meet my expectations for such use. I could be biased, because some folks swear by it.....

My 2 cents after all; your experiences may vary.
smile.gif

hey zenardi. this is Poodie from SHO. this is sort of my dads and my account for here. the nsx he wanted sold and the i think he is gonna wait for a better deal than the one locally. its winter here now,no now yet, but he isnt in a big hurry unless its a good deal, because when he buys it, it will sit for a few months.

Just got the Yoko 16/17 A022 OEM tires for the first time (had the car 5 years with a lot of other tires on there). Also did a 4 wheel alignment.

Car feels awesome - much better then the terrible combination I had on there. Very crisp handling.

Weird thing - car feel much lighter on the steering - much easier to steer? Almost like I have power steering now.

Anyway - who would have thought that the tires that had as much engineering go into them as other parts of the NSX would really be better then the discount basement tires I through on there?

smile.gif

Originally posted by matteni:
Just got the Yoko 16/17 A022 OEM tires for the first time (had the car 5 years with a lot of other tires on there). Also did a 4 wheel alignment.
Congrats on the upgrade to 16/17... the OEM Yokos are really no comparison to "cheap" tires. A better comparison would be against more modern max-perf tires (SO3, Pilot Sport, AVS Sport, etc).

Interestingly enough, BRIDGESTONE seems to be the preferred choice for Japanese owners (over Yokohama). Evidently these are MUCH more popular over there.

The new NSX-R tires (also Bridgestone) in 17/17 are supposedly VERY GOOD. Am told they are much better than the OEM NSX / NSX-T, and some folks are starting to fit them on their cars.

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Interestingly enough, BRIDGESTONE seems to be the preferred choice for Japanese owners (over Yokohama). Evidently these are MUCH more popular over there.

The Bridgestone RE010H OEM tire is currently significantly less expensive in the States than the Yokohama A022H OEM tire. If that's true over there as well, that could explain it.

Originally posted by nsx1164:
The new NSX-R tires (also Bridgestone) in 17/17 are supposedly VERY GOOD. Am told they are much better than the OEM NSX / NSX-T, and some folks are starting to fit them on their cars.

What kind of tires (i.e. which model Bridgestone) come with the new NSX-R? (The 2002 NSX-T comes with Bridgestone RE040 H0 tires.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 December 2002).]

I agree with the OEM thing. But, if they are out of budget, I have heard good things about Kumho brand. I don't have any personal experience with them...but check em out...about $100 a tire.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

Originally posted by tewills:
I agree with the OEM thing. But, if they are out of budget, I have heard good things about Kumho brand. I don't have any personal experience with them...but check em out...about $100 a tire.

The Kumho where the "cheap" ones I had before OEM. My un-professional opinion was they were not worth the money - even at 100 bucks each. JMO - YMMV.

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
The tires shown in the pic, are they RE040 or RE070? I can't find either at the Tirerack site.

Tire Rack has the Bridgestone RE040. Just type in 2002 NSX and select matching front and rear tires, and they'll show up, $211 front, $249 rear. They also show up if you specify Ultra High Performance, Bridgestone, in either of the stock 2002 sizes.

The ones in the picture are the RE070, because they're on the NSX-R wheels. I don't know if they're available in the States.

I guess you get what you pay for. I for one would never get Kumho tires. I currenty have S-02 pole positions and love them. I have tried other brands but not on my NSX so I can't really make a fair comparison. I had some S-03 tires on my Audi S4 and loved the overall ride quality and handling. Yokohama AVS sport tires are pretty good but they are kind of noisy, especially as they wear down. I am going to try out some Dunlop Sport 9000 tires next time I go to the track with my NSX. I know that the stock A-022 are excellent tires but they are so damn expensive, don't have any wider sizes and wear out so fast. My problem is when I need to replace my S-02 tires because I need 215/40/17 and 275/35/18 and they no longer make them. I guess S-03's or Pilot sports will have to do.

Originally posted by Litespeeds:
I guess you get what you pay for. I for one would never get Kumho tires. I currenty have S-02 pole positions and love them. I have tried other brands but not on my NSX so I can't really make a fair comparison. I had some S-03 tires on my Audi S4 and loved the overall ride quality and handling. Yokohama AVS sport tires are pretty good but they are kind of noisy, especially as they wear down. I am going to try out some Dunlop Sport 9000 tires next time I go to the track with my NSX. I know that the stock A-022 are excellent tires but they are so damn expensive, don't have any wider sizes and wear out so fast. My problem is when I need to replace my S-02 tires because I need 215/40/17 and 275/35/18 and they no longer make them. I guess S-03's or Pilot sports will have to do.

I have tried the Yoko AVS and Dunlop 9000's - both are pretty good and much better then the Kumhos. I personally would lean towards the Yoko's but they are pretty close. The 9000's seem a little better in the dry but the Yoko's were close and much better in the wet. In reality you are not really talking much money extra for the OEM A022's. I got the whole set delivered for $750 last week. That was only $150 more then the lesser brands and have allready proven themselves to be much more enjoyable. Also the lesser brands seem to wear only slightly better then the OEM's (from what I hear of the OEMs anyway as this is my personal 1st set).

As for the S02 to S03 debate - a lot of people that switched are not nearly as happy with the S03s as they were with the S02s so you may want to do some research before you jump.

Good luck...

Back