• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

which tires to choose between these?

The DBS S2 is an all-season tire. The ES 100 is a summer tire.

Which do you want?

There is a recent thread on the ES 100s and other value tires.

If summer is what you want, look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 and the Toyo Proxes T1-S in addition to the ES 100s.

I don't think the ES 100 offers enough high performance for an NSX, but they are a great value and have good tread life.

brahtw8 said:
The DBS S2 is an all-season tire. The ES 100 is a summer tire.

Which do you want?
In Huntington Beach, this is a no-brainer. All-season tires are made so that they can grip in snow and frigid cold as well as warm temperatures (although they don't do either one as well as a dedicated winter tire or summer tire, respectively). If you're never going to encounter snow or frigid cold, there is no need to get an all-season tire rather than a "summer" tire.

brahtw8 said:
If summer is what you want, look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 and the Toyo Proxes T1-S in addition to the ES 100s.
I agree, if those come in sizes to suit your needs. There are other tires also worth considering, too, including the Bridgestone S-03 (great performance, higher price) and the Kumho MX (in between on both counts).

brahtw8 said:
I don't think the ES 100 offers enough high performance for an NSX, but they are a great value and have good tread life.
I agree with this too. But if you're willing to sacrifice performance in order to save a few bucks on tires, they might meet your needs.

How much tire noise can you stand?

The ES100's are fun, but get very, very noisy before they are 50% worn.

ncdogdoc said:
How much tire noise can you stand?

The ES100's are fun, but get very, very noisy before they are 50% worn.

This is also true. I have ES 100s on my TL summer rims and they are quite noisy, even more so than my Blizzak LM22s, which I find a bit strange. Of course, the Blizzaks cost almost 2x what the ES 100s cost . . .

From Tirerack comparation:

.............................. ES100..... AVS dB S2
HANDLING RATING 8.40 8.40

DRY TRACTION 8.6 8.8

WET TRACTION 7.9 8.3

RIDE COMFORT 7.6 8.6

NOISE COMFORT 7.1 8.5

WEAR 6.7 7.5

Treadwear Rating 280 320

Seem like AVS dB S2 is a better tires overall?

AndyH said:
Seem like AVS dB S2 is a better tires overall?
No. You are quoting their survey results. These are usually a function of users' expectations for those tires. For example, someone buying an all-season tire may not expect good handling. They may find that the handling is better than they expected, and give it high marks - whereas, someone buying a performance summer tire might expect better handling and give it lower marks because it just meets their expectations, even though its handling is actually better than the all-season tire.

What are you looking for? Dry traction and handling? Wet traction and handling? (Snow traction?) Long treadlife? Low price? The answers to those questions will determine which tire best meets your needs.

Oh, I got it, thanks. I guess I'll stick with ES100 :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
No. You are quoting their survey results. These are usually a function of users' expectations for those tires. For example, someone buying an all-season tire may not expect good handling. They may find that the handling is better than they expected, and give it high marks - whereas, someone buying a performance summer tire might expect better handling and give it lower marks because it just meets their expectations, even though its handling is actually better than the all-season tire.

What are you looking for? Dry traction and handling? Wet traction and handling? (Snow traction?) Long treadlife? Low price? The answers to those questions will determine which tire best meets your needs.

Back