• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To all you M3 owners (yet another comparison)

GQ NSX

Registered Member
Hey guys--our family went to go check out the M3's this weekend. Since we're in the market for a new car, this certainly felt like a winner: It holds status (Bmw marquee), good performance, classy looks etc. What I guess I'm trying to say is for those of you that own both of these vehicles, if you had to choose with say a 1995 NSX 5spd (around 30-50k miles) or a brand new 03-04 M3 (very low mileage <100) fully optioned, what would you rather have at the end of the day?

Of course putting into perspective depreciation, status, performance, practicality, etc. I'm in a real bind here and feel really indecisive. I really do like both cars (and can't afford both) so if you guys could shed some light on this subject like you always do with others it would be greatly appreciated.:)

I know going on an NSX forum it will be biased--however if we look at things objectively, maybe you guys can help me make a decision.

Just to add, I'm a single guy, and don't need the extra seats but I'm sure they'll come in handy. Secondarily the M3 could probably be financed.

Help me out friends.

ravi:confused: :(

The M3 and NSX are totally different cars. My friend owns one and it's a great car. It's very fast, torquey and handles quite well. It's put together nicely too. Oil changes are pretty costly, however (special oil).

The M3 is probably a bit more practical for daily use, particularly in wet or slippery weather. Having the extra seats also comes in handy for friends, friends with their stuff, etc.

For me, owning a NSX was something I had to do.

Nothing or no-one could have talked me out of it. Owning an exotic, even a reliable NSX, takes a certain level of committment and enthusiasm, I believe.

I wouldn't own a NSX without a second car as a daily driver, for example. It just attracts too much attention. The M3 does too, but no where near as much as an NSX. You probably could take and park a M3 at the mall and not worry too much. Not so with the X.

If you really don't crave a NSX, then you might be better off with the M3.

Thanks guys for being so straight-forward, it's really appreciated. Every time I see the Nsx my heart skips a beat, but to be honest after the test drive in the M my brain/heart seem to be leaning in the BMW's direction.

It will be a daily driver, but even if I went with the NSX I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm not an "attention-craved" type of guy, but I know that's a part of getting one of these cars. The exoticness is so cool, and the platform (midengine etc) but I have to look at in from more than one aspect. I'm not in the position to afford multple cars--and if it comes down to owning only one it just might be the M3 now and maybe the HSC later:D :D .

It is to my knowledge that modded M3's also get a lot of attention--I can't wait to hear other owners opinions.

thank you all
ravi

I agree with the others, I will also pick the M3 if I was to have one car. As everybody here knows, the NSX has no problem in being a daily driver. In terms of reliability, it's definitely above all BMWs. My point of concern with the NSX as a daily driver is that I can't go everywhere with it because I love the car too much. Especially here in Mass, the pothole state, there are also many places with steep inclines that makes it a guarantee you'll scrape the bottom of your bumper. Even if you live in an area with perfect roads, there won't be perfect drivers. As a daily driver, parking on the street is inevitable and personally speaking, that's too much risk for a precious vehicle.

At the end of the day, it come down to whatever car you enjoy most - and let me say both cars are at the top of my list as well.

I don't own an M3, but do own a 330Ci and an NSX. If you need the cargo space or extra seats, get the M3. If your heart says M3, get the M3! I agree with everyone here who says that it is a fabulous car.

On the other side of things, that much money will buy you a nice used sedan, a mint condition NSX coupe and lower insurance rates/less depriciation to boot. If your heart says NSX, get the NSX!

Drive 'em both and use whichever logic suits you best at the time!

:D

Every time I see the Nsx my heart skips a beat,
need I say more? You need to buy "the" nsx.!!

but to be honest after the test drive in the M my brain/heart seem to be leaning in the BMW's direction
Do whatever you can, try to arrange the test drive back to back to give yourself a definate answer...

Nsx will not be as "refined and comfortable" as a M3, afterall your are compared a car that designed 10 years before the other one.
But to me, driving a Luxury car is as boring as riding a bus to work... so you know which car I'm leaning towards.

Ever thought about having two cars with that kind of money?? So on the days that you don't want as much attention, you can take the "beater" out.

Even though it's uncertain that how much dip will the used nsx cost after the new one coming out (assuming HSC as a new one and coming out 2 years later.) I'm sure that you will lost more money on the M3 than the nsx in couple years. To me, European car always need more attention and maintainence than Japanese cars. It's always some kind of electical switch/ wiring or some little weird mechanics somewhere "designed" to be failed after several years... NSX on the other hand is the best built Japanese car I ever have.

I just completed a 2900 mile road trip in my NSX and can tell you that the car is perfectly viable as a daily driver - however I agree with NsxJoy that you will find the pressure of the " Quest " for a suitable parking spot among the other concerns of owning such a unique car a bit much for an only car. The M3 is a great car to drive that you will be able to treat as just a car - something I for one am unable to do with the NSX.

Last edited:
OK. I have both. 98 NSX-T and an 01 M3. My M3 is my daily driver. It garners as much comments as the NSX. It has 19 inch aftermarket wheels, silvervision bulbs, Hamann eyes and is lowered. The wheels are 235 / 30 in summer and in the winter, I use Blizzak tires on 17 inch wheels. Haven't driven my NSX for a while as it is getting twin turbo. Both have a 6 speed transmission.

I have driven both long distances and both are great as drivers. The NSX is as refined as the M3 but is clearly different. The NSX has quicker turn in and better road feel while the M3 can sometimes feel a little numb. The M3 has great torque but the NSX is smoother. The M3 feels faster due to the torque but when my wife and I have played "tag" in the cars, neither could pull away from the other so they are very close. The NSX gets better mileage. The M3 is quieter. NSX cannot be driven in winter because it is too low (lowered). For trips to the store, shopping and long trips with a lot of luggage, the M3 is better because it can carry more but both fall behind our Allroad or Suburban. In the end, I personally think that the M3 is the best compromise vehicle but the key word is compromise. It is clearly a sport coupe, not a sports car.

You guys are doing a great job of giving me some insight between the differences, pros, and cons.

I live in sunny California, where there are no problems except rainy winters (no flooding). The two seats versus the four seats isnt the biggest issue in the world, but I mean it certainly is an advantage depending on the way you look at it.

As far as speed goes I probably won't be auto x-ing, but I will probably be doing 1/4 mile runs here and there. I know niether car is made for it, but a 13 second quarter is respectable either way. :)

My mom and dad loved the BMW--they think it is more "worth it" than the NSX for whatever reason. My family's opinion matters to me, but if you guys can show me whats better I'll go with that. I just don't want to have buyer's remorse with either vehicle. Interesting to note I talked to some of my female friends who actually would rather have the BMW even though they thought the NSX was a "cool" car.

Gheba: I don't currently have an NSX, but barely got to test drive one in Reno, Nevada. The salesman wouldn't let me drive the M3 this weekend because it was SMG2 (he said you need to have experience to drive it:rolleyes: ) but he did open it up a little bit.

I think the best thing for me is to actually get behind the wheel again and go from there.

Thank you Nsx community, for you guys are one more reason in the "positive" column for getting the NSX.

ravi;)

I have not driven the M3, but as a daily driver, I would probably get the M3 over the NSX. I just hate leaving the nsx in parking lots etc... I always worry about it.

With an M3, nobody really notices them because they look like every other BMW except to the enthusiast.

I did hear that M3's blew their motors a lot... did they fix that?

Netviper--The e46 engine problem as I understand is no longer an issue (they had a recall). The car will be parked in a safe area, and I will be able to use my family's cars if need be (mustang, suv, etc) since I live with them. This will be my ride for "personal use."

Thanks all,
ravi

edit: forgot to add, if anyone has pix with E46 M3's and Nsx's, I would love to see them.

Gee... you should've mentioned that from the beginning. If you can use your family's cars at any given time, then it's a no brainer, the NSX it is!!

STOCKTONSX said:
My mom and dad loved the BMW--they think it is more "worth it" than the NSX for whatever reason. My family's opinion matters to me, but if you guys can show me whats better I'll go with that. I just don't want to have buyer's remorse with either vehicle. Interesting to note I talked to some of my female friends who actually would rather have the BMW even though they thought the NSX was a "cool" car.

I don't have an M3 since I did not want another 2 door car. Instead I ordered a BMW 330xi, fully loaded with all options. The MSRP on this thing is on par with an M3 with no options.

I'm not going to comment on performance since we know the M3 is in a different league. I got the car last year and it only has around 2,500 miles now. I'm already getting some rattling noises, and the side mirrors suddenly stopped working.

On the E46 forums, there are consistent praises on Honda's build quality and reliability.

I really don't think you should listen to us or your family/friends. You should buy the car that YOU want! After all, you're going to be the one that's going to be driving it. Not us, and not them.

I'm sure there are dealers/sellers out there that would let you test drive an M3/NSX.

Both NSX and M3 are my favorite cars, you probably should go with M3 overall.

NSX is a better looking car no doubt, you will get a lot of attention (both good and bad).

M3 look almost as good and is probably better car as daily driver.

If not for the worry about the door dings and the few who does not respect others properties, NSX would be just as good of daily driver in California as M3, even with M3 you will likely have similar worries.

I do not use my NSX as daily driver, I do wish I could use it everyday, it really depends on where I go.

For wal-mart, ect, I use my beater Civic SI and worry free, for nicer places like Fashion Island, Southcoast Plaza I use NSX.

If you go with a low mile 91 or 92 NSX, you will save a lot over the new M3. there are plenty of early NSX that look as new as 2000 or newer, most NSX owners take care cars really well.

In the end you can't go wrong with either car, both are great choice.

I'm not going to comment on performance since we know the M3 is in a different league. I got the car last year and it only has around 2,500 miles now. I'm already getting some rattling noises, and the side mirrors suddenly stopped working.
It's a curse of owning European cars:p just like what I said.

My family's opinion matters to me, but if you guys can show me whats better I'll go with that.
MY mom went all out when I told her I'm going to spend my next $30k savings towards a 12 years old car... The first time ever she sit in it, she said, "This is nice." If you let your parents going out with your car, then I bet both of them would appreciate the NSX more. If in case your parents (whoever behind the wheel, that is.) enjoys pure driving pleasure.

I said M3 is more refined based on the Technology and the luxury touched gadgets... If people does not enjoy fast car and hates Cars "talking" to them, just the steering column shake over bump and the infamous 1500 rpm rattle is enough to turn them off...

Interesting to note I talked to some of my female friends who actually would rather have the BMW even though they thought the NSX was a "cool" car.
I have posted here before, the nsx absolutely does not attract girls nowadays... well the group that's in their late 30's to early 80's loves it though... It's the trend thing, the young girls see all those celebraties driving SUV's with Bling Bling nowadays. I'm not surprised that they love an Esculate more than any 2 doors sports cars. With that said, your female friends may want you to have a BMW X5 than a M3, so you can take all of them to shopping mall and buy a trunk (which is bigger in X5) load of stuffs... :D

If your being practical get the M3 otherwise NSX is a different animal. Pure sports car in my mind! My heartbeat raced everytime
I sat on it. Hehe!

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'd be happy with it. But I'd tell you owning my "X" for over two months is quite an experience.

Good Luck!

Well it seems like one thing is certain--if I want to have more "fun" then the car for me is the Nsx. If I want to be practical yet sporty get the M3. What I don't understand is if the M3 is fairly limited like the NSX (I think around 12000 made) how come more people would get the M3? Is it because the NSX is not as well known?

With this much money I just want to make a wise decision. I think I'm leaning towards the X again, as long as I can use my parent's suv or other cars.

Thanks guys

ravi

What I don't understand is if the M3 is fairly limited like the NSX (I think around 12000 made) how come more people would get the M3? Is it because the NSX is not as well known?

Total production of the E30 M3 is about 18,000; E36 is about 71,000 and E46 is over 15000 and counting.

Most NSX owners have more than one car and the M3 is a more flexible everyday vehicle.

M3 looks like and IS a sedan. NSX looks more sporty and exotic. M3 is an excellent car but at the end, it's just another sedan. But then you say your family is looking at the car so M3 is more practical.

Well the family won't be using it--it will be MY car, but if need be they can use it. Remember I still have access to our other cars.:D

I love the M3s - dont get me wrong but there's something with the NSX - It's hard for me to explain - like an X Factor..hehehe..

Try this - Look for the best pictures of any sports car within your budget and compare them side by side. The one that makes you heart beats a little faster ( with a slight GRIN) is the right choice! Works for me everytime!

Here's mine! Pls remember my X is a Stock 91' and the wheels are not my first choice - good for now...Wings West body kit on the way!!

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

Hope this helps!

:D

Back