• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

too many targas...

I am a newbie and looking for advice. I am in the market for a low mileage (under 35K miles) NSX and would prefer something in the 1997-2003 age range with price maximum of $40-45K. Unfortunately, I am finding that most of the cars on the market are targas, and I cannot fit in them.

I am 6'2" and have tried on several T models and no matter how I adjust the seats, the back of my head hits the mounting point for the targa top. So I am resigned to looking for a low mileage non-T coupe (which I can fit in comfortably) and they are proving to be elusive. I also doubt that the thin seat cushion modification will make enough difference for me.

I have looked over the cars here on Prime and on several online sites and am striking out. Is this just a lean time for coupes on the market or am I being unrealistic in my expectations?

Thanks.

Tom

From the wiki:

Changes for 1996

• Grand Prix White available again
  • Coupes were available again, though from this point on they were special-order only.
Since they were special order only I am guessing they will be far and few between. No coupes were available in 95 so your best bet would be a nice 91-94. Other than that you will likely have to be very patient and need a little bit of luck to find a 97+ coupe with low miles for the price you are willing to spend.

strangely i am close to your height and have no fit issues in my targa. i suspect you are used to more upright seating position.
na2 coupes are almost mythical and rarely come up for sale.

This is why I own an early model coupe :)

Your chances of owning a '97+ Coupe are slim and none...they were only a handful made.

Here are your options:

1. get a 91-95.. they come as coupe only, which I think gives you an inch of extra space. I just picked up my 91 w/ 28k miles last Thursday. I am 6'2 and I have less than 1 finger clearance to the liner.

2. wait until a one of the special order coupe from 96-01 shows up. Be prepared to wait a LONG time.

3. get a T and modify your seat cushion - either buy one from dali or get your local upholster place trim some foam out of your stock cushion.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/furniture/racer_racing_cushion.cfm

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1807

Here are your options:

1. get a 91-95.. they come as coupe only, which I think gives you an inch of extra space. I just picked up my 91 w/ 28k miles last Thursday. I am 6'2 and I have less than 1 finger clearance to the liner.

focus=1807[/url]

91-94 models are coupe only model. Later models have "coupe" as option and yet they are really rare.

Here are your options:

2. wait until a one of the special order coupe from 96-01 shows up. Be prepared to wait a LONG time.

3. get a T and modify your seat cushion - either buy one from dali or get your local upholster place trim some foam out of your stock cushion.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/furniture/racer_racing_cushion.cfm

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1807

Correction 91-94...no coupes available in 95 in the U.S.

What is it about the coupe that gives you more headroom?

I guess sometimes it's good to be short... :biggrin: I'm 5'9" and I fit into everything.... Anyway, good luck with your search! :cool:

Thanks for the info...my issues with the T-top are not so much with the headliner but with the "bump" in front of the rear glass where the top is mounted. It projects so far forward that my head gets pushed forward and down into my neck. That is why I doubt the thinner seat cushion will help. I was not able to adjust the seat in the targa cars to give me any relief from the "bump", but in the coupes I had clearance both from the headliner and the rear glass. Is there anyone in the Florida area that has a car with the thin seat cushion and a targa top that I could try on for size?

i think it is all in the sitting style. you might have the seat too far back- move it forward a bit. the steering wheel reach can be adjusted by leaning the seat more and your headroom will improve greatly.

I am a newbie and looking for advice. I am in the market for a low mileage (under 35K miles) NSX and would prefer something in the 1997-2003 age range with price maximum of $40-45K. Unfortunately, I am finding that most of the cars on the market are targas, and I cannot fit in them.

As others have mentioned, 97-01 coupes are a rare breed. You may have to wait several years before finding one.

If I could make a recommendation -- get a clean 93-94 coupe, and use the difference in price to get a CTSC. You'll end up with a car that looks identical to the 97-01 coupes but with even better performance.

Although you might be the same height, sometime people are longer in their legs or in their torso. It might not be his seating style, but his measurments.

You got that right. I drive with the steering wheel adjusted all the way in and the seat forward a bit. You need thin legs though to fit under the wheel.

Look for a Zanardi.

Great point... Zanardi #42 is up for sale at 405auto (on Autotrader) and they are asking $49,900

If you can go up to $45,000, Id think you could probably get that car (you may have to move up a little - not sure if thats a deal breaker)

That would not only get you a 3.2L coupe, but it would be a Zanardi which is even cooler :)

Great point... Zanardi #42 is up for sale at 405auto (on Autotrader) and they are asking $49,900

If you can go up to $45,000, Id think you could probably get that car (you may have to move up a little - not sure if thats a deal breaker)

Just make sure you read my write up on it. :wink:

I guess torso and leg measurments are all different. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of clearance, plus I really only like to get her out when I can take the targa off.

A friend of mine sells exotics and he has 6'3 250+ NFL lineman fitting into Gallardos and F430s with no problem. That is what a good upholster can do for you. Like many have said before if you are wanting one before the summer is over a NA2 non-targa is going to be hard to come by or be really pricey.

Good luck with your search.

Sorry, I was confused. My write up is on #44.

To be fair, there's a good chance 42 has a similar write up just waiting to be written! LOL!

But its still worth checking out for someone interested. I had emailed them a time or two, but hadnt gotten a response.

I didnt pursue because I actually like the Targa and was thinking of the Z more for collector appeal.

I'm 6'4" and have no problems fitting in the car...

what I do is move the bottom of the seat forward a little bit then lean the back of the seat all the way back... I dont always lay back though so I just sit up straight and its fine... not sure why u are having these problems?

You could just modify the seat cushion and remove about 2" from the bottom of the foam... and there u go :)

yep, I too fit ok, but snug. Im 6'6'' and had to move the seat forward, tilt the wheel all the way up and pull it towards me and the tips of my hair just hit the roof. Ill be fine after i get the car and throw my recaros in it :)

I think there are a couple of threads on how tall people have made it work. I'm 6'3" and change and fit in OK with proper seat adjustments. My hair almost grazes the top, especially if it is a bit longer.

Back