• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Cost/Price

Sorry, but I just don't think changing the oil before every track event, five times a year, is needed. Nor flushing the brake fluid before every track event, five times a year. And I doubt that many dedicated trackers do that, either. But if you insist on that maintenance schedule - and that's certainly your privilege - then adjust your costs accordingly, and that can indeed drive your costs up dramatically. Your money, your decision.

As for the clutch, you are correct in describing the driver-related causes that make a clutch require more frequent replacement. However, those causes are pretty much the same whether you are accumulating your miles on the street or on the track, which means there's no difference due to track events. (However, you could reduce your costs by learning how to use a clutch properly.)

If you have any doubts about how good you are with a clutch, ask your mechanic to describe to you the condition of your clutch plates the next time you have transmission/clutch work performed on your car. Last year, Acura of Brookfield performed work on the transmissions/clutches of NSXs belonging to three different instructors at track events at about the same time. Two of the three transmissions showed signs of severe scorching on the clutch plates; one didn't. Scorching results from slipping the clutch excessively - on the street or on the track.

I change oil and brake flush twice each season.Pads last ~4 days.my biggest expence other than track fees is hotel and food as I try to do multi day events.The underlying question being asked here imo is really what the wear and tear or added stress on the car is.5 events in one season probably won't harm much.esp on street tires.But add experience and r compound tires with an aggressive on track personality and do 8-12 days /yr and stuff starts failing!Since we rotate around tracks in one direction the drivers side susp. is stressed more.I have had to replace(due to loosening and fatigue) both front A arm assembly ,rear axle nuts and toe links.I am on my second CT powergrip 1 clutch,as Lud observed above, I know I am not the smoothest downshifter at the limmit,thus my trannie must accept a degree of stress.The first clutch lasted 25k miles.but also remember that the first clutch had to put up with my learning curve.

docjohn said:
my biggest expence other than track fees is hotel and food
The way I listed all the various costs above, it's easy to see that the biggest items, in order, are (1) track fees, (2) lodging, and (3) brake pads. Throw meals somewhere in there, depending on how much you like to spend (and whether or not you consider that an additional expense, or something you would spend anyway if you were home). Some of us like to eat well; eat well enough, and bring your wife, and it can even cost more than the track fees. Bagaduce?

docjohn said:
5 events in one season probably won't harm much.esp on street tires.But add experience and r compound tires with an aggressive on track personality and do 8-12 days /yr and stuff starts failing!
And the difference between 5 events (1-3 days each) and 8-12 track days is...? ;)

bag-o-duce for all!(inside joke for all those ? our sanity)

Back