• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traded in my 91 NSX for 91 Ferrari 348

Originally posted by ALLAN:
always funny to hear the nsx guys talking about expensive maintenance. funny how they never mention the rediculous cost of nsx maintenence also, like 2200 clutches, a/c maintence,windows falling out,snap ring failure etc. funny how people overllok the idiosynchrocies of their cars but are so quick to point other cars. i saw enjoy the 348, they are great cars. read about them on the ferrari boards. i too would much rather have a 348 than my nsx.

Allan, no offense man, but you're a wacky guy sometimes. You obviously like your NSX (I see you defend it on other forums), but you take any chance to cheap shot it here in it's own back yard.

All BS aside, you aren't going to be able to make a logical argument that, at the end of the day, the NSX is equal in terms of maintenance cost, to a F348. No one (including F348 owners) is likely to agree with you. NSX maintenance may not be cheap, but Ferrari maintenance (as you know) is lots more.

That's not even to mention that snap ring was a warranty thing (F cars have those too).

What I'm wondering, though, is why you wouldn't just buy the 348 if you'd much rather have it than your NSX??? You obviously don't have cash issues...

Edit - Oh yeah, "F thee" to all the auto haters as well
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 11 June 2002).]

Originally posted by spookyp:

What I'm wondering, though, is why you wouldn't just buy the 348 if you'd much rather have it than your NSX??? You obviously don't have cash issues...

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 11 June 2002).]

I totally have to agree. Allan, no offense.. i think your lambo is awesome.. but why keep the NSX? Go get a 348 if you would rather have one. I would rather see you happy then putting down the NSX all the time.

You know...you have to wonder why someone would take the time to write inflammatory posts to an enthusiast forum like NSX Prime.

What purpose does it serve?

Is it just someone's idea of amusement, to stir up and flamebait the troops in this manner? Is it fun to drop a few "bombs" and then to sit back to watch the melee?

Or is it simply the need of some people to justify their actions and to put down others? In this case, the originator of this post didn't ask for opinions or feedback, he just wanted to make sure we all knew that in HIS opinion HIS new car choice was BETTER than all of choices....

Oh...and he also wanted help to learn how to post images so that he could be better able to show off his better choice.

What does it say about people who spend their time downing someone else's choice instead of being excited and positive about the choice they made?

Sheeesh!

Jim

PS: AsianBond, Good luck with your new car. BuhBye!

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Asianbond is entitle to his opinion on his car experience. The is an NSX forum, NSX owner will defend their car by all means. It's like someone coming to my house telling me that my carpet is untasteful. So, I can understand why some NSX owner would respond the way they responded to his post.

Well, its obvious that we are biased towards the NSX (in a good way) since we are all NSX owners here (with a few exceptions of course). It just so happens that Road and Track did a comparison test between a '91 NSX and a '91 Ferrari 348, and the NSX beat it in every performance category except in Lateral accel (.90g vs .91g, hardly anything noticeable. The NSX had better braking, better acceleration (0-60, 1/4 mile), salom, etc. They also said that the Ferrari was indeed a better exotic, but the NSX was the better car.

This magazine is no longer in print but the entire article can be found on page 32 in this book:

Acura - Honda NSX Performance Portfolio 1989-1999

This book is really good. It is a compilation of articles from different car magazines across the globe on the NSX.

It is a magazine's job to be unbiased in their comparison/reviews of cars, and I think they did a good job on this article.

He's already been on Ferrarichat.com for a while. Here's some pics in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/51028.html?1023569643

Nice F348 Chris, I have a lot of respect with Ferrari cars. I especially love the exhaust sound of F cars, (if it wasnt for the sound I dont think half of all the Ferraris will be sold).

Perhaps if you would have bought the NSX Type-R(5 speed) or the NSX Type-S/S-Zero(6 speed) you may have been happier with the NSX, which I believe its avalable in HK.
Enjoy your new ride.

Regarding AsianBond's experience, I think steveny hit the nail on the head. A stock, properly-maintained five-speed manual NSX will have crisper, more precise handling and cornering than a stock, properly-maintained 348. What we have here is a case in which the feature that the NSX designers used to maximize the crisp handling - the OEM tires that were custom-designed for the NSX - were nowhere to be found on either of the NSXs that AsianBond drove, since he mentions aftermarket wheels in sizes for which the OEM tires are not available. So if you take a stock NSX and make its handling worse, and take a stock 348 and make its handling better, sure, it's possible to say that that particular 348 handles better than that particular NSX. It just wouldn't be true of most 348s and most NSXs.

Originally posted by Blackjack:
The 348 is marginally faster than a *manual* NSX

No, it's significantly slower than a manual NSX. The major car magazines typically got 0-60 results for the 348 around six seconds (or, if you want to whip out the September 1990 issue of Road & Track, exactly six seconds). That's substantially slower than the typical 5.3 seconds for the 3.0-liter 5-speed NSX (and we don't even have to discuss the 3.2-liter, do we?).

Originally posted by ALLAN THE ANTI-NSX BIGOT:
always funny to hear the nsx guys talking about expensive maintenance. funny how they never mention the rediculous cost of nsx maintenence also, like 2200 clutches, a/c maintence,windows falling out,snap ring failure etc.

I've had my NSX for twelve years. I've driven it 52K miles, including around 60 or so track events. I replaced my clutch for the first time recently, and yes, it cost $2000, including parts and labor. How much does a Diablo clutch cost, Allan? Hmmm? I have never had any air conditioner maintenance, even though most of my miles are in the summer. I have never heard of a single case of an NSX window falling out. However, I must be fair and mention that I did buy the window fix-it thingies for $15. And no snap ring failures. $2015 in twelve years. So much for "expensive maintenance".
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
...$2015 in twelve years. So much for "expensive maintenance".
rolleyes.gif

Ken,

You forgot things like oil changes and gasoline. (oh yeah, and tune-ups every 60,000 miles!)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 15 June 2002).]

i definitley do not dislike the nsx. I just dont think the world ends with it. There are other cars out there. As far as diablo maintenence, well, i dont know, apart from the oil changes, not much else to do. clutch cost, i dont care, ill never need one. car is 4 years old now and the clutch is still perfect. same was true for my 15 year old 70,000km countach,original clutch,motor never out, and ran like a dream.3 years of oil changes. People will have good and bad stories about all types of cars. One things for sure, i dont dislike the nsx. Had alot of fun with it last night, but i can honestly say, after 5 runs, you could tell the clutch was hurting,so i dont think the clutch on those cars is anything to brag about, especially since this one has less than 2000 miles on it.

to each their own, i had a 99 360 modena for about 2 months and got rid of it to my neighbor, i just like to drive way too much and the car was way too finicky, so i got a 91 nsx and i love it! and for the price i got a 2003 sl 500 benz also hehe! but i did see alans lambo in scottsdale on wednesday night very sweet!

asianbond---congratulations on your choice. your 348 looks beautiful. i was at a ferrari shop in kc a while back and drooled over a variety of the pretty ponies. funny thing was, they all wanted to gawk at my nsx. in a perfect world i guess we'd have it all. and yeah, that exhaust note is pure music. im hoping to enhance my nsx's song later this summer.

and hey guys, lighten up....cant you all appreciate a sportscar don juan? if i remember correctly, during my attachment disorder years one month was an eternity to spend with the same 'woman'. AND there was always a 'faster/prettier' woman around the next corner...

Asiabond, congratulations on your 348, great looking car. I know how you feel when comparing the NSX to the Ferrari. There is just a completely different feeling to it. The NSX almost seems bland. I own a 92 NSX, and it is a blast to drive, but I also own an F355 and if I had to choose which car I would take out for a cruise it will definitely be the Ferrari. As for maintenance costs, you don't HAVE to change your belts every 15,000 miles on the Ferrari but you choose to as preventive maintenance. To rebuild one of these engines is a fortune. On the NSX, though you don't worry about it much because it no where compares to price in new engine. Even in the NSX, I will do preventive maintenance such as changing belts every 30,000 miles. I also liked the looks of the 348 over the 355 but I wished they would have put the 355 engine/tranny ina 348. Sorry for the rambling, so enjoy.

I've got the solution of this nsx-F car debate;Tubi exhaust.I got to drive behind Larry B, and even at moddest throttle openings his car sounded very musical,with this exhaust,so you can get the best of both.

I also have a tubi exhaust on my NSX. It definitely is one of the better sounding exhausts. Can't wait to put test pipes to hear her. But I also have a tubi and test pipes on my 355 and it is the closest sound you will get to an F1 racer.

Here's the thing about my NSX--It's fast--way faster than I'll ever need, comfortable, reliable. I wouldn't think twice about driving it on a cross-country trip. And with just a little bit of luck, I'll be able to enjoy it for maybe 200,000 miles. The value/comfort/handling is unbeatable.

Here's a quote from an article on the Lamboghini Murcielago in this week's issue of AutoWeek: "Our longest stints at the wheel were a couple hours in duration, and we felt that was enough, though it's a lot smoother than a Diablo..."

I think you guys are missing my point about the different personality between a NSX and Ferrari. Lud's comments were right on point regarding the near immpossiblty in trying to modify a NSX to feel like a Ferrari. THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT CARS. Same as trying to compare a Porsche 911 to a NSX. Both cars have their good and bad points. My main statement was that the NSX did not deliver the sharp explosive reflexes I would expect from a supercar. I driven a manual transmission heavily modified NSX that was quite impressive, nevertheless it still felt just like a very powerful Acura. Huckster made a great observation in stating that the NSX feels quite "bland" at times, that was exactly what I felt after owning it for a week. Their will never be the right answer to this discussion, just everyone's opinions.

Regarding 0-60 times and maintenance cost differences, I feel those are irrelevant points if you are truly passionate about owning a supercar.

Even with a Tubi a NSX will NEVER match the acoustic symphony of f-cars. I went on a morinng drive with the ferrari club this morning. One of the sweetest sounds you will ever hear as a motoring enthusiast is a 550 Maranello with a tubi, those 12 cylinders just sing at any rpm, or a 360 Modena running up the powerband, it absolutely SHRILLS like a F-1 car, I have never heard that wail on any other streetcar before, or even a 355 with a tubi is a very sweet sounding car. Fortunately for me, my 348 has the factory sport exhaust that delivers a very impressive siren. I suggest parking a NSX/tubi next to any of the cars I mentioned to comprehend what I'm saying.

Let me reiterate that I respect the NSX as a very good supercar that delivers execellent performance for the money. I just wish the NSX faithful on this site would open up their minds to realize that there are other excellent supercars out there and that possibly, the NSX is not the holy grail of supercars.

Originally posted by AsianBond:
I think you guys are missing my point about the different personality between a NSX and Ferrari. Lud's comments were right on point regarding the near immpossiblty in trying to modify a NSX to feel like a Ferrari. THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT CARS. Same as trying to compare a Porsche 911 to a NSX. Both cars have their good and bad points. My main statement was that the NSX did not deliver the sharp explosive reflexes I would expect from a supercar. I driven a manual transmission heavily modified NSX that was quite impressive, nevertheless it still felt just like a very powerful Acura. Huckster made a great observation in stating that the NSX feels quite "bland" at times, that was exactly what I felt after owning it for a week. Their will never be the right answer to this discussion, just everyone's opinions.

Regarding 0-60 times and maintenance cost differences, I feel those are irrelevant points if you are truly passionate about owning a supercar.

Even with a Tubi a NSX will NEVER match the acoustic symphony of f-cars. I went on a morinng drive with the ferrari club this morning. One of the sweetest sounds you will ever hear as a motoring enthusiast is a 550 Maranello with a tubi, those 12 cylinders just sing at any rpm, or a 360 Modena running up the powerband, it absolutely SHRILLS like a F-1 car, I have never heard that wail on any other streetcar before, or even a 355 with a tubi is a very sweet sounding car. Fortunately for me, my 348 has the factory sport exhaust that delivers a very impressive siren. I suggest parking a NSX/tubi next to any of the cars I mentioned to comprehend what I'm saying.

Let me reiterate that I respect the NSX as a very good supercar that delivers execellent performance for the money. I just wish the NSX faithful on this site would open up their minds to realize that there are other excellent supercars out there and that possibly, the NSX is not the holy grail of supercars.

The NSX is the car to own if you do not wish to pay the premium to own an F car. I think that with most anything in life you can get 90% of what you are looking for, for 10% of the cost. The Ferrari may be a better car than the NSX, but it is NOT worth two times the price or more. The NSX will give a owner 90% of what the Ferrari owner gets from his car, performance, fun, picking up chicks, and cranking heads. I think if a pole were done on NSX owners you would find that many choose the car for this exact reason. I know I do not wish to spend thousands of dollars on a tune-up when I can get close to the same thing for hundreds. The NSX is just the intelligent car to choose.

Originally posted by AsianBond:

And I just wish you would realize that there are many areas in which the NSX is superior to the 348, and that one of them is its reflexes (handling). No, the NSX is not the holy grail of supercars. But getting a 348 instead of an NSX because of its handling is like getting a 360 Modena instead of a Rolls Royce because you wanted a quieter car.
rolleyes.gif

Actually the biggest difference between these cars is precisly why I drive an nsx,and that is that there is no street f-car that can withstand as many track days and do so admirably,and reliably! and perform so comfortably on the street.Actualy when you start to really mod the nsx; lighter flywheel and short gears as well as susp. tuning it starts to aproach the quirky, touchy ,exotic feel of the Italians.But I Completly understand others opinions on this matter.

Originally posted by steveny:
...I think that with most anything in life you can get 90% of what you are looking for, for 10% of the cost.

Some people have to have that last 10% - nothing wrong with that.

The Ferrari may be a better car than the NSX, but it is NOT worth two times the price or more.

To you.

The NSX will give a owner 90% of what the Ferrari owner gets from his car...picking up chicks...

I haven't had that happen yet!
biggrin.gif
(Actually, I get more interest from guys on my car...most girls are clueless!)

The NSX is just the intelligent car to choose.

For the everyday super car - yes! For the absolute supercar - no!

By the way, my dream car since '91 has been the NSX. I finally got one in 2001 (a '91) and couldn't be happier. I LOVE the car, but if money were no object, or I didn't need to drive it everyday, or have maintenance be affordable, etc... I can think of about 10 different cars I would rather have (Most start with Fer or Lam).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 16 June 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
And I just wish you would realize that there are many areas in which the NSX is superior to the 348, and that one of them is its reflexes (handling). No, the NSX is not the holy grail of supercars. But getting a 348 instead of an NSX because of its handling is like getting a 360 Modena instead of a Rolls Royce because you wanted a quieter car.
rolleyes.gif

Of all the F cars the 348 IS my favorite "but" I must agree w/ handling test reports by Mario Andretti

THE NSX WAS ROAD-RACE TESTED BY ''MARIO ANDRETTI" AND AFTER A FULL DAY OF ROAD RACING TESTING "QUOTED" FASTEST ON THE TRACK'' AGAINST LAMBORGHINI, FERARRI, PORSHE, VIPER ETC…
As he so well put it the only car that came out neck in neck was the Ferarri Modena and he further adds there is a problem w/ the Modena he is exhausted after 20 minutes.Further he felt that after a full day of racing he could and would like to drive the NSX home.
Thats his 2 cents...

yeah, where is this report? as i recall there was a test but no lambo involved. And also mario owns several lambos, but no nsx.

wow, lets see, is this another case of mynsx,opening his mouth and putting in his 2 cents without knowing what he was talking about. Where is the lambo? where is the 360? i see a 355. i also see the porsche as being voted #1. but lets see, according to mynsx, it was the voted the best handling car. This again mind you was also a test of the limited edition zanardi, which will undoubtedly post better times than our cars. Mynsx, have someone read you the article, and youll see, that the porsche won, and the ferrari was marios favorite.

Back