• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transport or trailer to NSXPO 2018

Planning on going up to the Bay area for this fall's NSXPO but I have a dilemma. Hope to be taking my bride and dog with me. But with track time (read helmet, gear, tools, tires, driving instructor) and on the road for over a week, there is just not enough room in the car. Possible side trips before, during and after means there will be more luggage and wine to bring back!

So my options are to;

1) Ship the car to a location where is will be received and stored by someone and then ship it back at the conclusion of NSXPO
2) Trailer it up myself, drop the trailer and then pick another trailer up for the return trip

Anyone else from SoCal facing this issue? As the car is somewhat low, I may be limited to finding a rent-able trailer to get it on. I have a truck so dragging the car and trailer up will be no issue and if something breaks, I at least have a way of getting it home. If there are others with this same conundrum, maybe getting an NSX dedicated transport from SoCal maybe an option for more of us?

What are my/our options? Trying to get a jump on this. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is planning.

1). UPS all the "stuff" (but not Hope or Pam).......and ENJOY driving your NSX :biggrin:

2). If you still don't have enough room after sending the "stuff" UPS......Hope can ride up with us. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3). Put a trailer hitch on the NSX (you can put the receiver behind the license plate and it will never be seen).......then put a platform rack/box on the hitch and carry all your "stuff" there. BTW....the trailer hitch will stiffen your chassis and make your car go faster in turns :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe a few of us are "caravaning" the drive up (2 day event criss-crossing CA) however we're starting from Santa Barbara (possibly LA). I was about to say.. with all the cars going up there's bound to be enough room to distribute your luggage. However, how will you get from your home to LA/SB? So... therefore, I'd pick the Truck & Trailer route. Gives the most flexibility as you can detach the trailer. Car transport would also be another choice but I don't know anyone who's going this route.. will keep you in mind.

2). If you still don't have enough room after sending the "stuff" UPS......Hope can ride up with us. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:[/QUOTE]Alan - you will have a better chance of catching diphtheria then wrestling Hope from Pam!Thanks for chiming in Regan. not really sure how to tackle this one. But I have to figure it out before they open up for entry fees and track fees next week. If I go solo, maybe I'll hook up with your caravan, if invited.

Funny how things have changed. 20 years ago we had a socal caravan of about 40-50 NSX’s meet in Santa Clarita and drive up to NSXPO98 in Laguna Seca (hotel in Seaside). I think we all managed to do it without trailers or towing vehicle (with the exception of Doug Hayashi of NSXFiles racecar fame). We even managed to take the NSX Japan club guys with us.

Funny how things have changed. 20 years ago we had a socal caravan of about 40-50 NSX’s meet in Santa Clarita and drive up to NSXPO98 in Laguna Seca (hotel in Seaside). I think we all managed to do it without trailers or towing vehicle (with the exception of Doug Hayashi of NSXFiles racecar fame). We even managed to take the NSX Japan club guys with us.
I'm hosting some of our NSX brothers from Europe and Japan on this drive. Perhaps 8-10 cars over approx 1-2 days so maybe in some small way we will revive old traditions.

I'm hosting some of our NSX brothers from Europe and Japan on this drive. Perhaps 8-10 cars over approx 1-2 days so maybe in some small way we will revive old traditions.

Good for you, Regan! Your enthusiasm and love of the NSX and its community were never in doubt.

It is not necessarily "funny how life changes". In fact it's not funny at all. My wife is seriously debilitated and the amount of extra items and also the stuff required for our service dog, although she is small, is quite a load. In order for Pam and Hope to make a trip of this length of 7 plus days, both time and miles would be something that would require a lot of logistics to be planned on the front side. Add to that the extra drive, accommodations, tools and days involved with HPDE and there is just not enough room in the NSX for my family to attend all of NSXPO 2018.

I have it figured out though. I will be rolling up early with a small group to to HPDE. Pam and Hope will fly into SFO and catch the transport to the hotel to join me/us for the social aspect. We will all be there so the question of towing or transport should now be put to bed. On to NSXPO 2018.

It is not necessarily "funny how life changes". In fact it's not funny at all. My wife is seriously debilitated and the amount of extra items and also the stuff required for our service dog, although she is small, is quite a load. In order for Pam and Hope to make a trip of this length of 7 plus days, both time and miles would be something that would require a lot of logistics to be planned on the front side. Add to that the extra drive, accommodations, tools and days involved with HPDE and there is just not enough room in the NSX for my family to attend all of NSXPO 2018.QUOTE}

CJ, in no way did I mean to understimate the burdon of taking your wife and service dog to NSXPO. I was merely expressing my observation of how things have changed in the last 20 years. As one of the organisers of a very early NSXPO (1998) I noted how different some aspects of the event are now. The early events were less social and perhaps unjustly focused on driver and car ownership only. I am glad to see how friendlier and more social events are now and I wish you and your family a wonderful and safe time. Tino S.

Last edited:
I think, shipping the car to the location is best idea to go with as by going this way, your vehicle can be protected.

It's a scary world out there. I use both of these methods every time I take my car out of the garage..................:biggrin:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.51.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.51.08 AM.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.54.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.54.54 AM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 54
Back