• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trouble clutch or transmission? Not...

Hey guys,
I wanted to share this with you all as it literally saved me thousands of dollars.
A few days back I got in my perfectly running Nsx and it would not go into reverse and was very hard to get into first gear. It grinded a bit going into first but not to the point that I thought I would destroy the clutch pushing it into gear. Now reverse was another story, it grinded tremendously if I even tried and to the point I felt if I forced it my clutch and trans would possibly blow!
Of course the first thing i thought was "crap I need a new $2,000.00 clutch!".
A fellow prime member recommended that I flush the transmission fluid and refill it with synchromesh fluid.
I took it in and had pepboys do this. They used 1 quart of the Lucas fluid and two quarts of a high end synchromesh fluid ( I believe it was Quaker), anyhow after driving the car for about 1 hr it ran perfect and slides in and out of gear like butter! Better than before no doubt!
I can't believe that something like this would make such a huge difference and I highly recommend you do the same every 30,000 miles.
What's $80 to keep your baby running great?? And especially to save you from spending $2,000 because most mechanics will want to sell you a new clutch before a new service that's 1/30th the price tag!
If things change and it acts up again proving I do in fact need a new clutch I will update this post but as of today (3 days after the transmission flush) the car is still running excellent with no grinding etc when going into gears.
Also beware there is no dip stick in the manual Nsx to check the fluid. You have to literally take the drain Knut out and put your finger into the hole to see if it's low. Even at this how do you know if it's old and needs to be replaced??? Just flush it and refill it to be safe :)

They are actually replacing both as we speak. It blows my mind that so many of you guys know this kind of stuff just off of a verbal detail of the problem. I was never a "car guy" until the first time I drove my Nsx. Now I'm in love with it but don't have a vast knowledge of mechanics.
Your blessed man and your good at diagnoses. I bet this has saved you lots of $$$

Hey guys,
Also beware there is no dip stick in the manual Nsx to check the fluid. You have to literally take the drain Knut out and put your finger into the hole to see if it's low. Even at this how do you know if it's old and needs to be replaced??? Just flush it and refill it to be safe :)

Um, close. :biggrin:

Don't take out the drain plug to check the level. Removing the drain plug will, er, drain the fluid.

If you want to check the level, remove the fill plug. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

They are actually replacing both as we speak. It blows my mind that so many of you guys know this kind of stuff just off of a verbal detail of the problem. I was never a "car guy" until the first time I drove my Nsx. Now I'm in love with it but don't have a vast knowledge of mechanics.
Your blessed man and your good at diagnoses. I bet this has saved you lots of $$$

I think your referring to my post , if you had a shifting problem while in motion ,yes changing the fluid would help . Your problem was at rest , fluid has very little effect at this point , I felt the clutch was not properly disengaging causing grinding in gear selection . Hope it works out
Ralphy

I have a similar issue, it comes and goes normally when i am at the lights and i have it in neutral and every now and then it will not go into first gear or any gear without some major enforcement yet coasting to the lights it goes in, it happens about every week, i have changed the slave the hose with the slave and recently put the NSX R damper delete in, also went back to Honda trans fluid it is a much improved feeling but the same issue comes around every now and then so i have ordered the clutch master and new resevoir since i recently did the brake master i thought may as well get it all new up front.
So since i have eliminated just about everything and its still there even though its not as bad, everything is pointing at the master in the front.

Back